R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere to go.?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Start from Mobile AL. 2 weeks travel time in June. Which Way to go?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [25.00%]
3 [75.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to go.?
    Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 6:49pm
Okay, Here is my dilemma.   I may possible have a couple 2 weeks to make a trip and I have no idea of where to go. I will probable be solo.

So if start point is the Alabama Gulf Coast what would be your must see list for a 1st big trip with the R-Pod.

North through Travese City MI. into Canada. and the North side of the Great Lakes.

North to the Great Lakes?

North to Maine?

Northwest to Montana / Oregon Area.

Yellowstone?

I will also hopefully be carrying my new to me Honda Goldwing in the back of the truck so the real scenic areas I can take a couple of days and ride the local roads.

So fire away.

If it were you where would you go?

Also what is a reasonable drive distance per day and stil enjoy the trip. ???

Tom
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
fischersinpa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 7:42pm
North & then west, like the Badlands/Biack Hills, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, up to Montana then down thru Utah Arizona etc. Of course that's my bucket list route & two weeks may not be enough. I can drive a 12 hour day if I have to, but 8 is plenty, especially if you want to do some cruising.
2016 Toyota Tundra
2017 179 "The Hodge Pod"
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 9:18pm
Yellowstone can be very busy and very crowded.  Has to be a lot of cool places in your state and neighboring states.  You can come to Nebraska and see umm, aah, errr, various crops, farm animals, I-80!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
fischersinpa View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2020 at 10:13pm
There are some beautiful places in Nebraska. I'm originally from the Sandhills region. Growing up there I didn't know enough to appreciate it. The Niobrara River Valley, the quiet desolation of the sandhills...it's there, you just have to look a little harder.
2016 Toyota Tundra
2017 179 "The Hodge Pod"
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 6:50am
Yellowstone and that entire region is a must, at some point, yet that's 30 hrs one way for you.. 5-6 days gone just getting and returning. That takes a big bite out of what you can do while there! I spent 4 days in Yellowstone and still feel I just drove through. 

If Yellowstone is a must, then I also suggest traveling through the Black Hills of SD (include Badlands).

Utah is closer and if you've never been, another must see! If you have 4WD TV, you may not leave Moab! Two National Parks, 1 State Park and enough BLM with scenery to spend months (if not years) exploring.

I'm a Nor'easter and 2 weeks up here is no where near enough time! We spent 2 months exploring around the Nor'east Maritimes (into Canada) and now are planning runs to explore regions in depth. My Maine Spur run into New Brunswick (Fundy National & Hopewell Rocks) will take me over 2 weeks. I'm planning a month.

Same can be said for most all places. The longer you can stay, the more you will see. Don't plan too much so that you are so limited on time to explore a bit.
Utah has the Big 5 National Parks, yet I would suggest just Moab for this run. 

Where ever you choose, enjoy the time! Safe travels
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 7:43am
Thanks for the suggestions so far.   I guess a little more info would be helpful.

I have been to SD through Sturgis, Spearfish, Seen Mt Rushmore but all kinda passing through, Spent a night at Devils tower then on through Wyoming, Across Chief Josephs Hwy to Montana and entered Yellowstone from the north exit on the south. Spent 2 days there, out the Tetons then down through Utah, out to Cailf. a few times seen all the national parks in UT and spent a bit of time in CO, AZ, NM, UT CA. TX big bend.    
so I've been to most of the parks but that doesn't rule them out. I loved each and everyone enough to go back multiple times and some I have seen multiple times.    

I've only been to Victory Canada on a cruise ship going to Alaska, I've never been north of Elmira NY then east touching Vermont and New Hampshire.

Never made it to Maine, MN, WI, or ND or Canada.

I do love to ride my bike and see the scenery and am an avid photographer so also very happy walking through the woods taking photos of animals and scenery.

Oh and there is a slight possibility I can stretch to 3 weeks.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 9:59am
For 2 weeks (you said "couple 2 weeks", so it's not clear to me if you meant 2 or 2 sets of 2), I would want to minimize the amount of travel time. From Alabama most of the places you listed are a significant amount of road time. I would want to limit travel to less than 1/3 of the total time, and I would not want to be on the road for more than 6 or 7 hours. So that is my input. I would be looking for places that are less than 1200 miles (one way) just to limit the travel time.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 10:13am
Coming into the Nor'east from the south there's a very interesting run built by the multi-sport folks. Paved, dirt and some two-track involved. Study the route and you could pick where you may wish to drive around. This one starts in NY, goes north through Vermont, W/E through NH and to the Canadian border in Maine. 

I use GAIA and load the .gps track/route to research.

There's also a specific N/S NH run called the Hamster. V07.5.1 is supposed to be the latest..

Utah, I'll be going back specifically to run the White Rim Trail. For this I'll tow with my Overlander and drop the trailer. It's said to plan 3 days or more for just this run!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 10:55am
Sorry , that's my southern slang coming out. Means two weeks give or take... Initially The plan was to be off for 3 weeks, the 1st week was for a family vacation with kids possible to Belieze or Costa Rica. Then the remainder of the 3 for myself as I don't do Stay-cations.    

But my better half told me that the boy is only off his football practice the last week of May. So If I can extend it I will be off a few extra days for myself up to 3 weeks.
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 11:09am
Hi Tom,

I did my first big trip last summer, much of it by myself, from Florida to Maine by way of Kentucky (for reasons) and then back via Niagara Falls, through the Poconos, and the mountains of Virginia.

I spent 10 days getting to Maine (stayed for a few weeks with mom) and then two weeks coming home. I agree with others here, less might be more. I found I was most happy driving about 400-450 miles a day (depending, flat driving i could do more more but mountains were considerably less) and I usually drive in the car (w/o the pod) to Maine in two 11 hour days.  Also, I was learning a lot as I went and as a first trip that might be more the point anyway.

You didn't mention the time of year you plan to travel. Mountains were nice in the summer but this time of year I prefer the warmer climes. I used "Boondockers Welcome" and "camping free" but also stayed in state when I could get in.

Keep us posted on your plans!

Julie
Julie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>