R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhere to go.?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Start from Mobile AL. 2 weeks travel time in June. Which Way to go?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [25.00%]
3 [75.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to go.?
    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 12:39pm
June
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 1:01pm
Well then I'd try to go to the Traverse City Roundup!
Julie
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by EchoGale

Well then I'd try to go to the Traverse City Roundup!

Looking at the dates I could possible make my last day before heading home the 1st day of the event.  I think I would be having to push down the interstates to get back in time to go to work.  

As of now we are looking at Hawaii from May 23rd to 30th.  So Pod trip would probable be from around June 2 or 3 till around the   22nd, 23rd ish.  

Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 9:45am
Greetings:
It depends on what you like to do.  If you like quiet areas, hiking trails, day trips to see the sights, try out State parks.  You can reserve in advance.  I live in MN and travel to parks here and Wis.  June is a good time to see the Black hills.  I always stay in the Custer area and take day trips out from there.  It's a nice town with good resturants.  You can reserve at some nice commercial campgrounds in the area plus State campgrounds.  I do not like going east, to much congestion.  Good luck, safe travels and enjoy.    Crankster78
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2020 at 6:30pm
Great question! We live in Florida and bought our 2019 R-Pod in order to plan a long trip out west. We have been local camping with it in order to get the "checklist" bugs out and I'm almost confident we are ready to go. I have done a lot of minor repairs, learned the systems and made improvements from advice given here. It has also allowed me to plan for common problems identified by members here in case we get them while on the road. Is there a list of those someone could post here? A "be prepared for" list...

We are retired and can go for a month or two. I would like to go from Florida all the way to Oregon and then back down hitting the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, etc then back home.

My concern is how do you plan reservations to time when you will arrive? How do you determine the time do you give yourself to get from one place to another? And how do you handle when halfway there (no turning back) you cannot get in on time or there are no vacancies?

Since we have no experience on long camping trips, I'm not sure how to deal with the reservation and arrival timing part. I know i need to start now and even some places are booked like six months in advance. I realize some people may have it all reserved in advance, not sure it that's what most do.

How do you plan for this please? And how do you know how many days to plan for each location? Thanks in advance! 

Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 7:44am
Originally posted by Wirat

Great question! We live in Florida and bought our 2019 R-Pod in order to plan a long trip out west. We have been local camping with it in order to get the "checklist" bugs out and I'm almost confident we are ready to go. I have done a lot of minor repairs, learned the systems and made improvements from advice given here. It has also allowed me to plan for common problems identified by members here in case we get them while on the road. Is there a list of those someone could post here? A "be prepared for" list...

We are retired and can go for a month or two. I would like to go from Florida all the way to Oregon and then back down hitting the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, etc then back home.

My concern is how do you plan reservations to time when you will arrive? How do you determine the time do you give yourself to get from one place to another? And how do you handle when halfway there (no turning back) you cannot get in on time or there are no vacancies?

Since we have no experience on long camping trips, I'm not sure how to deal with the reservation and arrival timing part. I know i need to start now and even some places are booked like six months in advance. I realize some people may have it all reserved in advance, not sure it that's what most do.

How do you plan for this please? And how do you know how many days to plan for each location? Thanks in advance! 

I'm also retired and do travel for well over a month at a time. Honestly, I've made 3 campsite reservations... One was for the Albuquerque Ballon Festival and I wish I had stuck to my guns and just lot-docked at Walmart.. Would have been so much easier. I don't usually stay at commercial campgrounds so my choices of overnighting are wide open! I lot-dock, boon-dock, mooch-dock (my favorite), flying J (worst to date), rest area (2nd worst) and so on.. 

Be sure to get your Lifetime Pass for the Nationals! This opens up so many places to stay! It's good for 'all' federally owned/maintained lands. National Forest land is one of my favorite's. 

My theory of overnighting somewhere is pretty simple. Once you close your eyes, they all look the same! The real funny part we have found is the least we pay for the site (speaking boon/mooch-docking) the nicer it is! 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 4:36pm
Olddogsrule - That's one way to do it. I hate having to make reservations, so in a funny way it may even be less stressful for me. I spent a lot of time traveling in SE Asia staying in one place for a night or two then moving on always able to find a place to stay. 
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 10:03am
The coronavirus pandemic is changing your camping plans whether you know it or not....

New Mexico State Parks are now closed to overnight camping...I suspect other parks and campgrounds are making changes also.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 9:26am
Originally posted by podwerkz

The coronavirus pandemic is changing your camping plans whether you know it or not....

New Mexico State Parks are now closed to overnight camping...I suspect other parks and campgrounds are making changes also.

Your absolutely right. I was looking at the list of what all is closed and it is pretty much everything. 
 I am an RN working in the ER.  so vacations request are being cancelled at the moment anyway.  I guess I will be using the Pod to quarantine myself under one of my oak trees.   
Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 12:06pm
Originally posted by TearlessTom

Originally posted by podwerkz

Your absolutely right. I was looking at the list of what all is closed and it is pretty much everything. 
 I am an RN working in the ER.  so vacations request are being cancelled at the moment anyway.  I guess I will be using the Pod to quarantine myself under one of my oak trees.   

We already tried that here. I moved my grandson, who has a relatively high risk but "essential" job (not as high risk or essential as yours) providing janitorial services at Virginia Tech, into our pod.  Might as well get some use out of it I figured. 

The problem we identified is that its only a temporary solution as once the black tank fills you have to find a dump station and those are pretty much all closed. If you can install a sewer connection in your oak grove that would work longer term. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>