Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Dealer Reviews and Comments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWarranty Work Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warranty Work Question
    Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 6:34pm
Hi everyone.....I"m new to this site and I'm looking for a new r-pod, and I have found a couple of dealerships.  One has a better price than the other, and the one with the better price is several hours away. But I'm hearing that warranty work has to be done at the dealer of purchase.... and that other dealerships will not honor the warranty.  I have read that owners had to drive there little pod several hours back to the purchase location to have their issues handled.  My thoughts are if I buy a Ford in California and move to Miami, that a Ford dealer in Miami would honor the warranty work, am I wrong?  I am interested in your thoughts about this.   

Then....if you were to be purchasing, would you purchase a 10 that's been on the lot a while or a new 11? I don't think there are too many differences, are there?  I am interested in your thoughts about this as well.

Thanks all for your help and guidance!

Soon to be podder!

Carrie
Runebane View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 9:05pm
I just took mine to a local shop that does warranty work for Forest River and Dometic (AC issue for me) and I purchased the 'pod at a dealer 4 hours north of where I live.   As long as the place you take it to will do warranty work for the part that needs it, you should be fine.  I've found a lot of places would service the 'pod but not do warranty work. 

Also, check with the service people.  The first person who answers the phone is not necessarily the person who knows the correct answer.   One of the places I called and asked if they did warranty work for Forest River said yes, but when I tried to make the appointment and they transfered me to the service department I got a totally different story.

/edited for clarity
RP-177
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2010 at 10:29pm

Welcome Carrie!

Yes, you'll have an easier time getting warranty work done where you purchased it.  Basic industry fact that the RV dealerships give their customers first priority.  Its not like the auto industry.  Its not supposed to be that way but it is.

But, Runebane has a good point.  Call around your area and talk to the service managers of the Forest River dealers.  You may not have a problem.  The closest FR dealer to me does not sell 'pods but will do warranty work.  I haven't used them though because where I bought mine is convenient to places where we often camp (even though the dealership is 1 1/2 hours away).

There have been few changes between the '10 and '11s.  The early '10s only had the two rear stabilizer jacks, not the ones on the front.  Also early models didn't have the A/C wired to the wall thermostat, it only ran the heater.  About half-way through last year the '10s started getting 4 jacks and A/C + heater get run from the thermostat.

My personal experience with the jacks on my popup is they never really gave a firm feel.  Because of thin stamped steel and rivet construction is my guess.  First few trips with only the rear stabs in our 'pod felt the same way.  I started using heavy-duty jack stands on the front and now it is rock-solid.  I don't think I would want all 4 jacks knowing this.

The early A/Cs had the controls over your head like popups.  No big deal unless you can't reach over your head easily.  The overhead thermostat doesn't have exact temperature markings like the wall thermostat.  Also no big deal, after your first trip you'll know where you want the knob to be comfortable.

If it saves you a grand or two and the things above don't bother you I would go for the '10 with no reservations.  The later '10s aren't any different from the '11s.  Oh, I forgot there is one difference.  The newer model has different "R-pod" stickers on the outside.  The letter O is a recycling symbol and instead of "Made by Forest River" below, it says "Eco-constructed".  Personally I like the older sticker.

Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
Carrie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 8:27am
Thanks so much Techntrek and Runebane!!!  

Those were great insights!!  I hadn't thought about a FR service center for repair, even though they don't sell pods.  I will be calling around to those that sell FR rv's my area today.  

I definitely want 4 stabilizer jacks.  I too have had popup's in my camping history and they make a world of difference, and I like the idea of the heavy duty ones.!  

Interesting enough, the 11 is coming up much cheaper than the 10, but it is also the farthest.

Soon to be podder!!!

Carrie
 Post Reply Post Reply