Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew R-Pod 196 Hood River Owners

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New R-Pod 196 Hood River Owners
    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 4:37pm
We just purchased our R-Pod 196 in Salt Lake City.  We're excited to start new adventures.  Our maiden voyage will be this weekend with a visit to Zion National Park.  We previously had an Outback toy hauler and several tent trailers.
It's never to late to live Happily Ever After!
2020.5 R-Pod 196 Hood River
2018 Titan Pro4X
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 7:37pm
Congratulations! 
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 8:38pm
Congratulations and welcome! I hope you have many fun adventures and make many great memories. Zion NP is one that I would like for us to visit some day.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 7:51am
Congrats, I love the new r-pod floorplans. I have the 195 and it is the perfect size. I think I would have chosen the 196 if I had seen it before I got the 195. It's obviously not a toy hauler, but we find it to have plenty of storage. Enjoy your 196.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Linward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 12:15pm
We too are the proud owners of a new R-Pod 196 Big smile  This is our first trailer so we are excited yet a little trepidatious...so much to learn Cry  The dealership we bought it from in Coos Bay Oregon have been super helpful, but I do have a question I would like to run by you guys.  They suggested an awning or topper for the slideout which I thought was spendy and unneccesary, but my wife feels that it would save us seal repairs in the long run as most of our camping would occur in forested areas.  I know I could just climb up on the roof of the trailer and sweep off any debris when we are ready to move on, but I am no spring chicken and my wife prefers I not do that Ouch   I believe I read that the gutters or channels that direct the rain water away from the slideout would have to be cut in order for the topper or awning to be installed.  Maybe that was just for that particular product.  We have kept the trailer covered since we bought it (with the slider in) and will not be taking it out until May.  What do you guys do or suggest we do regarding this?  Thanks for letting us join you. Thumbs Up
It's all about choices.
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 12:39pm
Linward,
When we got our 179 in July 18 it did not come with a slide out awning and I found while camping in a forested area like we find in Michigan you can accumulate sticks, acorns, and some leaves.  We now have one of these awnings.  If this debris is on the top of the slide out it will premarital damage the weather seal for the slide out which means removing the debris before you move the slide out in, every time.  These awnings are a little pricie but they keep about 90% of the debris of the slide out roof.  Still have to check the roof before sliding in the slide out.

Hope this helps.
Jay

179/2019
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 12:40pm
How does the cost of the topper compare to the cost of an ambulance trip and hospital costs?  If you tend to camp in areas with a lot of leaf fall in the autumn months, probably a good idea.  We tend to camp where leaf drop isn't an issue for the most part, if it is, I get up on a stool and use a broom - at least I am still limber at 66.  We purchased our 177 back in January 2011 and do not have such a setup for our slide, nor have there been any issues regarding this.
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
Linward View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 4:08pm
After much consideration and discussion with my wife Confused I have decided to forego the slide out awning (at least for now) and purchased a 3-step ladder with handles to access and clean the top of the slide.  I figured I would need to visualize the slide top before retracting it anyway (even with awning) so the step-ladder and broom made more sense (and cents).  Thanks for the input.
It's all about choices.
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 5:30pm
I'm an old guy too.  I use a 4 foot tripod step ladder.  Very stable even on uneven ground.  It's too big to fit in the rpod storage but fits easily in my open pickup bed.
2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 8:21am
I do have the slide out topper awning, and I find it well worth the cost. I've stayed in several areas that tree debris was kept out of the slide area, but also i've been in several wind driven rain storms. I was in one storm last fall that was 50 + gusts and 30 mph sustained blowing right at the slide side. I felt much better having it covered. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>