R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTV size and movie watching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: TV size and movie watching
    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:31am
Can I place a larger TV in the dinette area of my 190? What size tv can go in bedroom? It is not required that they operate on batteries. Just want larger size flat tvs. Also where can I find out how to install them?
Additionally, since wifi reception is usually poor at campgrounds, how can we watch movies?

We are not tv freaks, but occasionally like to watch for short periods and at bedtime.

Thanks for any information.
mwsjr
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 2:11pm
You can't just hang a TV and the mount anywhere, the wall has to be re-inforced to accept the mount, called a 'tv backer' in RV language. 

Of course if you are willing to beef up the wall with some plywood that is bolted to the wall then you might be able to hang a bigger, heavier TV.

Keep in mind the supplied Sansui TV in my r-pod is about the lightest TV I have ever lifted...I'm quite sure that a bigger TV is gonna weigh more....maybe a lot more, and that will put a strain on the walls, especially as the r-pod hits bumps and potholes. 

A flat TV that is NOT installed, but rather sitting on legs on the table or floor, could be about any size you want to deal with...taking into account being able to store it for travel, and work around it when camped. 

My opinion, (and I'm biased, I dont watch TV) is that there is nothing on broadcast television worth that much trouble and expense. In fact, I removed the TV from my r-pod in the first week of ownership. That's how I know how lightweight it is!
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 6:52pm
If you reinforce the wall with say half inch plywood either inside a closet or outside you could install any size tv that will fit in the space available. TVs are very light these days. But I find that the tv that comes with the rpod is fine for such a small space. You’re not sitting that far from it.

As to watching movies, if you have a Netflix, hbo now, Amazon prime of other streaming account and a smart phone with an unlimited data plan you can use that most places. If you get a smart tv and connect it to the phone as a WiFi hot spot it should work just fine. Alternatively or if you camp outside of mobile phone coverage you can just bring a Blu-ray drive and play movies using that.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by offgrid

TVs are very light these days.

Maybe the small ones, but the large screen flat panel TVs are pretty dang heavy!

One of them that measures 55" just about clobbered me when I was trying to remove it from a wall mount above my head, by myself...

Of course, I dont think there is any room in an r-pod for a 55" TV....just sayin....

Tongue

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 10:09am
Probably depends on the vintage. Big TVs have been getting thinner and lighter for several years now. We had a 10-year-old one in our TV room that died suddenly. We replaced it with one that is about 10% bigger, yet it weighed less. I was able to hang it all by my lonesome.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Lettucewrap View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 10:37am
We watch movies using an ipad connected to the TV.  If you have Amazon Prime or Netflix you can download movies and shows at home and watch them at your campsite.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 7:19am
Yeah, first gen flat screen TVs were really heavy, took two folks to hang a 55 inch. Thick glass. I just hung a new 65 inch by myself, weighs all of 50 lbs. I doubt you could get anything bigger than a 40 inch in an rpod, if that. 40 inch Hisense Roku smart tv at Wally’s for $180, weighs all of 13 lbs.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
AUMAN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 11:35pm
Lettucewrap, how do you do it? We connected ipad to hdmi port on tv and got audio but video not showing on tv. We made several attempts with various downloads and still no video. We plugged lighting cable on adapter to  ipad and other end was hdmi port which we connected to hdmi on tv and selected hdmi. Only audio. Netflix seemed to be blocked. Same was true for Amazon Prime download. Please advise. Thanks, Mike
mwsjr
Lettucewrap View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 4:49pm
We use the apple lightning to hdmi cable converter to hook up to pod tv.  I start videos on the ipad then I can close it while we watch movies.  I also have used a roku stick in that hdmi slot without problems, have you tried another hdmi video device to test your tv?
2018 R-Pod 190
2019 Nissan Frontier
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 8:17pm
ALUMAN, are you using an Apple HDMI adapter or a 3rd party one? As you probably know, Apple just loves to suss out whether you are using an "approved", eg, expensive and profitable for Apple component vs a knock off and disable the knock off. Does your adapter work correctly on other TV's? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>