R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCaulking the 'spoiler'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caulking the 'spoiler'
    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:57pm
+1 on the mineral spirits followed by denatured alcohol for cleaning and preparing. Also, see if you can get a plastic scraper that won't gouge the gel-coat.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 3:11pm
Enternabond on the damn spoiler works great.... I used this to prep the area...

https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-Ounce-EC-1-EternaClean-Cleaner-14/dp/B004LF3HQO/ref=pd_sbs_263_t_0/133-6389112-3865726?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004LF3HQO&pd_rd_r=1b45f954-8b10-4d6e-9e54-913001811beb&pd_rd_w=EvUcy&pd_rd_wg=87k6j&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=B972G3S5PYQWMGYKY3DB&psc=1&refRID=B972G3S5PYQWMGYKY3DB

Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:19pm
@lostagain What recall are you talking about? What width of Eternabond tape did you use on your spoiler?
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:24pm
They actually make a cleaning and prep agent for this purpose, check Amazon. Also do not use silicone on the spoiler. As I recall the there is somewhat of a kit to externabond the spoiler area.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:14pm
Wirat, I used 4" wide Eternabond.  In the archives are some pictures of the tape I put on the spoiler.  It was at about 3 years ago that I posted them.  If you want to see what it looks like and can't find it in the archives I'd be happy to pm a picture.  Here's the link for Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RSW-4-50-RoofSeal-Sealant-White-4/dp/B002RSIK4G/ref=sr_1_6?crid=19PSAVHETT4G9&keywords=eternabond+tape+3+inch+white&qid=1583201269&sprefix=eternabond+tape%2Caps%2C224&sr=8-6

Post Script.
Oh, yeah the recall, for a while FR didn't put proper clearance lights on the r-Pods.  They got busted and had to go back and retrofit them; clearance lights on the fenders and the 3 red lights above the back window.  They added the spoiler to hold the three red rear lights.  The spoiler was soft vinyl and caulk would not adhere to it, making sealing it a challenge.  It was fastened to the roof with screws that were certain to start leaking.  I tried adding 3M 5200 caulk but only wasted my money.  Then I found Eternabond and put that on.... problem solved.  It'll probably still be on the trailer when it goes to the big rv park in the sky.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 2:14pm
@lostagain Thanks for the information! We were looking at a different R-Pod with a 2nd hand dealer near us and it was leaking from the trim piece by the rear window and that must have been the source of the leak.

I was wondering the purpose of the spoiler at all and if it is worth causing more holes in the roof.. My opinion is no. It would be nice to see what's under there but I'm not taking it apart unless there is a problem.

When I get the time I will probably get the Eternabond and do it so I won't have to deal with it later. Right now I have recently re-coated all the Dicor and I siliconed over the screws on the back of the spoiler since that's all plastic.

I was wondering if I should try it with one continuous piece of tape, or do the sides separately and then have one long piece on the roof overlap the side pieces. I don't think the bottom side of the spoiler should be or needs to be sealed off.

How did you lay the Eternabond tape on your spoiler? One piece or 3 sections, etc.? AND...

Did you also Eternabond around the edges of the roof vent and other parts up there? 

mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 4:03pm
Not sure how you plan to use one continuous piece of tape. I used 3 pieces, each side and then across top. I did not do the bottom. I have not done other areas of roof as the dicor is in good shape on mine. The spoiler was the leak prone area.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:01pm
Wirat, I used two small pieces of tape on the sides, and one long piece on the forward edge, leaving the aft edge open for condensation drainage.  For other stuff on the roof, I cleaned the existing dicor really well with a mild soap, then alcohol, then filled in the cracks and such with dicor.  It was in pretty good shape so I still have several tubes of dicor in my garage.  I'm sure I'll find a use for it with our new Sonoma.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 5:44am
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like I will doing it the same way as mcarter and lostagain describe here. I have never used Eternabond tape.

I wasn't sure if it was workable enough to start at the bottom left side of the spoiler then lay it up and over the top of the roof then continue around to the bottom of the right side in one continuous piece. Would that cause wrinkles in the corners maybe? So cutting it in pieces gives smoother surfaces?

Thinking that a continuous piece might have more integrity than three pieces. I see on searches I did though that this stuff overlaps and seals itself off really good. 

I have looked at the roofs a few big busses before and they had Eternabond or similar along the front and back cap seams as well as around the perimeters of roof vents and other fixtures that had screws along the edges. Again, thanks for letting me know how you did yours.
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 8:23am
I would install both side pieces of the tape and then overlap the third top piece of tape, should make a good seal at the corners
Jay

179/2019
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>