R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCaulking the 'spoiler'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caulking the 'spoiler'
    Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 11:23am
Extend the two side pieces about 3" inches above the top of the spoiler, then cut the piece that goes across the top about 8" longer than the spoiler so that it overlaps the two side pieces.  The glue on that tape is so sticky, that you need to use care in placing the tape as you don't get a do over.  It doesn't hurt to draw a straight line across the roof forward of the spoiler edge that will guide you in placing the tape.  That way you have a nice straight finished edge in case someone goes up on top of your Pod to criticize your work.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Extend the two side pieces about 3" inches above the top of the spoiler, then cut the piece that goes across the top about 8" longer than the spoiler so that it overlaps the two side pieces.  The glue on that tape is so sticky, that you need to use care in placing the tape as you don't get a do over.  It doesn't hurt to draw a straight line across the roof forward of the spoiler edge that will guide you in placing the tape.  That way you have a nice straight finished edge in case someone goes up on top of your Pod to criticize your work.  

Thanks @lostagain that's what I plan to do. I measured it today and I can get by with 10'. I can buy a 4" X 10 foot roll. The spoiler is about 6 feet long and about 1 foot wide, so 8 feet plus a little for overlap.

From the side of the spoiler to the edge there's only about 2 inches so I'll have to cut a strip in half lengthwise. Is that what you did?

Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:04am
Originally posted by lostagain

Just pulled the trigger on some black Eternabond tape. Lostagain - I was looking at your photo of the white spoiler on your R-Pod. The black one on my camper seems a lot beefier. It's made of hard plastic. Was the older version a soft rubber or something? I'm still going to tape it as a preventative measure because you can see the Dicor caulking in my photo, I don't like how the front edge of the spoiler creates a channel for water to collect in.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 8:29am
You are right, Wirat, the original "recall" spoilers were soft squishy vinyl plastic that was impossible to seal with calk and screws.  It was really junk that FR came up with to get out of trouble with the NTSB for failing to put clearance lights on the trailer.  Calk wouldn't adhere to the spoiler and it was so flexible that you need screws about every inch just to keep it flat.  It was a leak designed to happen.  It would have been better to have made a molded fiberglass spoiler and bond it to the fiberglass of the roof, but that would have required a lot of labor/cost to install.

I am glad you found some black Eternabond tape.  I think you'll be real happy with the repair.  It looks, from your foto, that you have a metal strip across the aft side of the spoiler to hold it flat.  That shouldn't need any tape and it's probably best to leave it open.  On the vinyl one I had, the gaps were as big as 1/4" even with screws (leak potential) every 2"  which is probably why I put tape across the bottom too.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 8:35am
I'm contemplating the same process and your photos are really helpful.  thank you.
Julie
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 9:27am
This is all fascinating but doesn't help my original 'problem'. 

If I put an 8 foot extension ladder alongside, my short arms keep me from reaching the center of the spoiler. I am not going to come from above, that looks like a good way to do a nosedive onto the pavement below. A long ladder from behind past the spare tire looks unstable and might still involve a long reach.

So, ... ?
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 10:04am
Julie
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 11:14am
If you are not capable of reaching the center area of the leading edge of the spoiler due to physical limitations, then the solution is to hire someone who is big and/or agile enough to do it.  Whether to use dicor, caulking, or Etarnabond is a decision you will have to take.  You asked how others handled the situation and many people, in good faith, offered their solutions.  Sadly, no one can help you with the fact that you cannot reach the center of the spoiler, but at least everyone tried.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 5:57pm
I agree, I sat on my roof and applied the eternabond. If physically impossible, hire it done. It's not just the tape application, you have to clean and prep the area, I had no issues with sitting on the roof. I'm up there when I wax it too.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 6:56pm
I think the quality of the plastic is OK on this version but to have this entire spoiler up there in order to hold up three little lights is ridiculous! There must 24-28 holes drilled in the roof just to hold it on. What's the benefit of having a solid fiberglass roof if you're just going to drill it in to swiss cheese?

I can envision the meeting room when they first presented this design at FR...was it the Three Stooges making the presentation? Of course it was, and nobody with a brain spoke up and said "but isn't that going to be prone to leaks? because they probably would have been fired for speaking up.

The strip you see on the aft (bottom) edge is made of the same plastic the spoiler is made from. All the little turd blobs you see there are the screw heads where I covered each one with black silicone. I used silicone only on this part where plastic meets plastic, otherwise there should be no silicone on the roof. Eternabond tape will adhere to most surfaces but will not adhere to silicone (or so the label says).

I got on the roof when I first bought this to touch-up all the Dicor up there and now I'm reading you should not get on the roof because the roof only has wood supports and won't support any weight. ARRRG! Wacko

I thought the newer ones had all aluminum frames, but that may only count for two pieces on the outside or something. I think I could make a stronger body using chicken wire and paper mache...LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>