R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCaulking the 'spoiler'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caulking the 'spoiler'
    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 7:42pm
If I had it to do over again, I'd have made up an aluminum bar to hold a ready made 3 light fixture, with the bar attached to the top part of the sides.  

But I went onto the roof many times with my light as a feather 210# body and never fell through completing lots of different projects.  Just slither around like a snake instead of concentrating all your weight in one place.

As for silicone caulk, the older and grumpier I get, the more I despise that stuff.  There are better caulks and sealants that don't have all the headaches.

Our new trailer conveniently provides a ladder to climb up onto the roof.  I suspect, but don't know for sure, that it's framed in 2x2, but it could be aluminum since FR has been using more and more of it these days.  In any event they don't say keep off the roof and since they provided the ladder, I guess it's ok to go up there, but not when it's wet or icy.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 7:08am
Originally posted by lostagain

If I had it to do over again, I'd have made up an aluminum bar to hold a ready made 3 light fixture, with the bar attached to the top part of the sides.  

But I went onto the roof many times with my light as a feather 210# body and never fell through completing lots of different projects.  Just slither around like a snake instead of concentrating all your weight in one place.

As for silicone caulk, the older and grumpier I get, the more I despise that stuff.  There are better caulks and sealants that don't have all the headaches.

Our new trailer conveniently provides a ladder to climb up onto the roof.  I suspect, but don't know for sure, that it's framed in 2x2, but it could be aluminum since FR has been using more and more of it these days.  In any event they don't say keep off the roof and since they provided the ladder, I guess it's ok to go up there, but not when it's wet or icy.

Agreed. I'm not going to sweat over it, just venting...LOL This is actually a great training unit to learn how to repair and maintain campers! So far I have used it only a few times but feel like I have learned enough to fix and repair lots of different campers since they all share the same materials, appliances and have similar systems. I used to work on boats so I'm used to things constantly breaking and needing maintenance..."a blue hole in the water you throw money in to..." LOL
Happy Tripping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by lostagain

If you are not capable of reaching the center area of the leading edge of the spoiler due to physical limitations, then the solution is to hire someone who is big and/or agile enough to do it.  Whether to use dicor, caulking, or Etarnabond is a decision you will have to take.  You asked how others handled the situation and many people, in good faith, offered their solutions.  Sadly, no one can help you with the fact that you cannot reach the center of the spoiler, but at least everyone tried.

I am afraid that this sort of response is very destructive. Dissecting the sentences ...

1. Yes, I know I can hire someone (well duh).
2.It is my decision (ditto - duh)
3. People offered solutions. Yes and I'm glad they did (duh), and the one about the special ladder was especially valuable.
4."Sadly, no one ... etc" - Hello, the fact that I can't easily reach the center is why I asked for suggestions in the first place. Eternabond is great IF I can reach the center. (Duh)

I am wasting my time about this matter because if this sort of response becomes general, a lot of the value of this forum will be lost. 

I am now taking a 'leave of absence' from this forum. I MAY return in 6 months or so, to see if the tone has improved, but probably won't.

Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 7:14pm
Well for what it's worth I don't see any offense intended by the members offering advice here, and as for me, I have arms as long as a gorilla compared to my body and after reading this I got up on a ladder to see if I could reach enough to do the Eternabond tape and I could not. The curve of the roof makes the front edge of the spoiler too far forward. 

I can touch it, but not reach it well enough to lay the tape down straight and roll it down with sufficient pressure to apply it properly. I did put Eternabond on my spoiler but I had to get up on the roof to do it. If that's any consolation... 
2019 R-Pod 191
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 8:54pm
You got on your roof?  How did you do that? I'd have thought that would damage the roof.
Julie
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 9:38pm
I used to get on my roof regularly.  Just try to keep your weight spread out.  And I am no feather light.

What you have to be careful about is leaning aft from forward of the spoiler.  It's easy to slip if you go too far.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2020 at 9:45pm
I was up there today giving the top (and the rest) of my RPod a long-overdue cleaning with Turtlewax Ice Wash and Wax. It really is a lost cause because it is heavy pollen time in NC. However, I had not had the opportunity to get the road dirt off from this most recent trip and our prior trips last year.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 4:34am
Originally posted by EchoGale

You got on your roof?  How did you do that? I'd have thought that would damage the roof.

Yup I got on the roof. I just used a step ladder beside it (not touching it) to get up there. I move around on my knees and keep my weight spread around. I made sure the main entry door on the trailer stayed closed in case that frame adds strength to the roof when the door is closed. No damage that I can see, hear, or feel happening when I was up there. 

I also went up there when I first bought it to clean and re-caulk all the Dicor. That was before I read all the posts here about not going up on the roof, LOL. How else is the average Joe going to re-caulk it properly? 

I don't know what they use at the RV places, but I have never seen a scaffolding system or anything at the local places here that allows them to work on the roof without getting up there. If you can reach it from the side using a ladder, sure, but for some things you're going to have to get up there.

I also thought about using about an 8 foot length of 1X10 board up there and just stay on that. The board would span across the roof from side to side distributing out the weight on the roof and the aluminum side frames. Need to move to a different part of the roof? Get off the board and on to the ladder, move the board to the new section, then get back up there, etc. What do you think???Ying YangSimilar to walking over the rafters in the attic.

Does anyone have pictures of a scaffolding system while in use working on RVs they can post here? Let's put this thing to rest. And I don't mean what "might work", or some aluminum ladder that makes an L shape (but still puts the weight on the roof),  I mean an industry standard scaffolding that is used throughout the RV industry to work on roofs where the worker and no weight touches the roof. I'd like to see that. Because where I live, we have lots of mom and pop RV places and I can guarantee they don't use anything like that.

I don't think FR would ever advise getting up on the roof out of liability for people falling off or for any other possible damage. So far my experience has been the only warranty they give with these things is pretty much the "over the curb" warranty. Drive it over the curb and it's yours...Tongue
2019 R-Pod 191
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 7:02am
Agreed, although I did stand up to wash the roof. It is strong. In the videos I have seen of the factory and the assembly process, there is a scaffold beside the RPod, but I have also seen workers on the roof. I agree that one must be very careful since a fall from there would be a real possibility. However, the roof itself is very strong and can take the weight of getting up there for maintenance.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2020 at 8:33am
+1 to StephenH
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172