R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCaulking the 'spoiler'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caulking the 'spoiler'
    Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 7:23pm
If 40% is aft of the axle and 60% forward, with 10% - to 15% on the tongue, the ying and yang are in balance and the universe is at peace.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 5:58am
Originally posted by lostagain

If 40% is aft of the axle and 60% forward, with 10% - to 15% on the tongue, the ying and yang are in balance and the universe is at peace.

I think perhaps Confucius is causing confusion in this case. Tongue

Unless you've cut your rpod in half at the axle and weighed both pieces there is no good way to know how much weight is behind the axle vs in front. And, it wouldn't matter anyway. I could load my rpod to give me 10% on the tongue with 60% of the weight either in front of or behind the axle. just depends on how far either side of the axle I put it. 

A couple hundred years after Confucius was working on the yin/yang thing a guy named Archimedes nailed rPod loading perfectly. Its a lever (or teeter totter if you prefer) with the fulcrum at the axle. Just like on a teeter you can put something that weighs half as much twice as far from the fulcrum and get the same result. Weight is not what creates the balance, torque (moment) is.  

So, the moral of the story (see, I brought that back around to moral codes) don't load a bunch of heavy stuff on the rear bumper. Not only can you throw your balance way off and get too low a tongue weight, but even if you compensate for that with stuff on the tongue you will be over-stressing the frame of the rpod. Like a kid's teeter totter with two big adults on it, it might be in perfect balance right up to the point where it breaks in the middle. And there's also a thing called high polar moment of inertia (think sway) that can happen too. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Phil from Maine View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 6:10am
Originally posted by offgrid

Unless you've cut your rpod in half at the axle and weighed both pieces there is no good way to know how much weight is behind the axle vs in front. And, it wouldn't matter anyway. I could load my rpod to give me 10% on the tongue with 60% of the weight either in front of or behind the axle. just depends on how far either side of the axle I put it. 

A couple hundred years after Confucius was working on the yin/yang thing a guy named Archimedes nailed rPod loading perfectly. Its a lever (or teeter totter if you prefer) with the fulcrum at the axle. Just like on a teeter you can put something that weighs half as much twice as far from the fulcrum and get the same result. Weight is not what creates the balance, torque (moment) is.  

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 6:10am

So, the moral of the story (see, I brought that back around to moral codes) don't load a bunch of heavy stuff on the rear bumper. Not only can you throw your balance way off and get too low a tongue weight, but even if you compensate for that with stuff on the tongue you will be over-stressing the frame of the rpod. Like a kid's teeter totter with two big adults on it, it might be in perfect balance right up to the point where it breaks in the middle. And there's also a thing called high polar moment of inertia (think sway) that can happen too. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 6:26am

Since most RVers aren't physicists, the industry uses the 60-40 rule of thumb to give us  a general idea of TT loading best practices.  I have not yet experienced traveling at 60 MPH and being passed by a tractor trailer traveling at 85 MPH.  When that happens, I may reconsider this issue.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 7:14am
60/40 when uniformly loading a utility trailer is one thing, but for a travel trailer where you don't have control over the permanently mounted stuff, industry practice is to keep your tongue weight between 10 and 15%. You can measure that at a public scale or with a Sherline pretty easily, you don't have to be a physicist. Up to you what you choose to do of course. 

I have been passed by semis doing well over 80 here on I-81 in SW VA, btw, happens pretty often. Things can get interesting....
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 7:54am
+1
That is one reason I opted to purchase both the Hayes Sway-Master and a Hensley Cub hitch. The Hensley Cub is way overkill for the RPod, but having had one accident, I am taking the belt and suspenders approach.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
SC for Huskers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 8:26am
Murphy's Law  "Too much Caulking on the Spoiler will lift your rear end" Cry
Happy Traveling,
Tom
2017 172pod
2011 F150 STX
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:12am
I don't think I've ever heard of an rPod or any other travel trailer break in the middle from using the general rule of thumb of 60/40.  The point is be aware of where your weight it and try to keep the trailer a bit heavier forward of the axle and always follow the 10-15% tongue weight practice.  I bought a Sherline over a year ago and have been successful in not only weighting the tongue, but the axles too, at least as compared to the results that I got at a public scale weighing the exact same trailer with the same contents.  I don't check the tongue weight each time we go, instead using the "Zen" of trailer loading by paying attention to what I put in the trailer and where it is, always mindful of trying to keep the greater portion of the weight forward of the axle and at least 10% on the tongue.  [I always put the gold bars in the forward storage area rather than aft of the axle.]

Since I plod along at 55mph I have had plenty of semi's pass me going really fast.  I can't say they were going 80 because I don't carry some kind of speed radar, but I can say it was way faster than my travel.  And I've had this happen in windy conditions too.  Certainly, I could feel the wind hitting my TV/TT, but it was nothing of consequence and certainly not enough to cause a control problem.

If you are driving on the edge of the limits of your TV, carrying too much weight that is poorly balanced, and driving too fast for the circumstances, then you are at serious risk of a control problem.  If you pay attention to weight and balance, don't overload your rig, use a WHD where appropriate, and keep your speed to 60 or less, the probability of a load/balance accident is relatively low.  As has often been suggested in the pages of this forum, nothing is without risk.  It's a question of risk management.

So back to the spoiler sealing issue, I'm not really sure if leaving it on is worth the bother.  You need the clearance lights it holds, but there are other ways to skin that cat.  I doubt the spoiler really improves the aerodynamics of the trailer.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:27am
I drive at 60 mph. I have been on roads with a speed limit of 80 mph out west and the big rigs were doing that and probably a bit more. I am very familiar with what it feels like when being passed by them at those relative speeds. What seems to be worse than the tractor-trailers are the big flat-front RVs and buses when they pass. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>