R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCharging battery

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Charging battery
    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:45am
Ok thank you all , I WILL NOT be doing that, just a crazy thought.
GMC Canyon/RPoder
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 11:27am
Please try to avoid 2 stroke engines.  A single 2 stroke engine produces as much pollution as 40 - 50 automobile engines.  If you've ever gone to countries where 2 stroke motorcycles are common, you'll get a sample of the poison they put into the air.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:04pm
The TailGator is EPA and CARB certified. There is a big difference between a generator that runs at an almost constant speed and a scooter that has to accelerate and decelerate frequently, more so in city traffic. A badly tuned carburetor in a 4 cycle engine can be quite dirty also. 
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 4:23am
You can solve the gasoline problem by running on propane. There is a little 700 watt continuous rated propane 4 stroke generator for sale on both the zon and the depot websites for $250, anybody have any experience with it? Baja brand but apparently identical except branding to the Ryobi version.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 7:01am
Originally posted by offgrid

You can solve the gasoline problem by running on propane. There is a little 700 watt continuous rated propane 4 stroke generator for sale on both the zon and the depot websites for $250, anybody have any experience with it? Baja brand but apparently identical except branding to the Ryobi version.
Mixed reviews on the Baja generator, but it does look like a good little generator to carry as it is only about 25 lbs. I think the one review I read which said that one should use a Mr. Heater propane filter when using a 20 lb cylinder is likely spot-on.  It is a bit expensive, over twice the price of the TailGator, but then one already has propane available and would not need to carry a container of gasoline (plain or pre-mix) along with it. I would be interested in hearing if anyone has any experience with it as well.

Of course, there is not even the remote possibility of running anything of significance with this generator (AC or convection microwave). It would be good for charging the battery/batteries though.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I think the one review I read which said that one should use a Mr. Heater propane filter when using a 20 lb cylinder is likely spot-on. 

Of course, there is not even the remote possibility of running anything of significance with this generator (AC or convection microwave). It would be good for charging the battery/batteries though.

Since you are using a high pressure hose to go from the propane tank to the generator its probably a good idea to either use a filter or an oil free hose as you suggest. As I understand it the pressurization of the hose is what squeezes the oil contaminates out of the hose material. That's not a problem with the generator propane conversion kits like I have on my Honda which use a regulator at the tank. 

Yeah, any little generator like this would only be good for battery recharging, unless you also install a 2 kw + inverter and use that to run the microwave for short periods. Forget running the a/c, but I find I almost never do that anyway because of the nighttime generator restrictions at most campgrounds. 

Now that I think about it if not trying to run the a/c off grid it would be lighter, cheaper and more convenient to install an inverter for the microwave and the occcasional ac load and carry the little propane genny. if I was starting over I'd consider doing it that way. The 2-3kw sine wave inverters are down around $300-$350 now and only weigh about 10 lbs. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 3:21pm
I'm here reading both of ya's.. Chuckling over your thoughts of yet another generator.. Big smile

Sorry guys.. Don't have and still see no reason.. Ouch 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

I'm here reading both of ya's.. Chuckling over your thoughts of yet another generator.. Big smile

Don't see a reason for a generator?  To each his own, of course, but does that mean you never stay anywhere without full hookups?

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 7:15am

What do you do if you're camped for a week under the tree canopy with no hookups?  That is typical for me in the Appalachians. Can't use solar under those conditions. Either you run your TV and recharge with the alternator (which is very inefficient) or you bring a genny. I'd love to have a nice silent propane fuel cell but they aren't available yet. 

Or, you could get one of these and pedal your behind off for 12 hours straightLOL

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Tars Tarkas

Don't see a reason for a generator?  To each his own, of course, but does that mean you never stay anywhere without full hookups?

TT

Very rarely stay with any hookups. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>