Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedUrgent Petition To Keep RV Campgrounds Open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urgent Petition To Keep RV Campgrounds Open
    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 10:30am
Tequila Herradura Reposado is much preferable to a Jack Daniels drip; much smoother flavor.  Poitín would be preferable, but it's hard to come by here in the States.  Ermm
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 11:05am
I did an orally administered Sazerac last night.  This morning I got a 98 reading on my new pulse oximiter, so I'm good so far.

FYI on the oximiter if you haven't heard the latest...

2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 12:11pm
Been using an oximeter for my dad with COPD for several years, and its a great early warning system for pneumonia. He typically has one or two pneumonia episodes a year. His spO2 will normally sit around 90% but will drop to the low 80's when he's getting pneumonia. even if he doesn't feel that sick. His pulmonologist doesn't want him over 90% or so because if its too high he doesn't breathe hard enough to expel sufficient CO2, which causes disorientation and can also kill you via coma and arrhythmia. When you are in respiratory failure too high O2 saturation can be as bad as too low.  We don't keep him on O2 for that reason although I have a couple bottles of aviation O's on hand for emergencies, so I can give him a hit or two on the way to the ER.  Speaking of altitude hypoxia your spO2 level will go down by around 1% per 1000 ft until you acclimate. so you must me well acclimated to Colorado.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 3:52pm
COPD is tough. We watched the blurb last night on the news about the oximeter. The physician they interviewed about it explained that many people don't start to notice they are in trouble until their sp02 is below 50% at which point they're about to go over a cliff.

It could also be helpful if you think you might be getting COVID-19.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 7:24pm
I know someone who has SARS-CoV-2 and has been fighting it for nearly a month.  The hospital gave her an oximeter to use at home on her first trip to the ER.  It is a very important tool in assessing the condition of a home bound patient and likely will save some lives.  By the time one's O2 is dangerously low, you are not acting rationally enough to know you're in trouble and need to call for help.  Thankfully, the person I know is slowly recovering.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 9:13pm
I would have thought that at an spO2 of 50% you would be in a coma or worse. My dad was at around the high 60's when I got him to the hospital during his worst episode and the ER doc said he was within minutes of death, even though he wasn't complaining about having trouble breathing. The O's popped him right up into the 90's but then he became completely disoriented and started showing arrhythmia due to the Co2 build up. High O2 levels reduce your breathing rate  because its too easy to get your O's,  hence the Co2 buildup. They put him on a bipap machine (basically a cpap with a lower pressure level when exhaling) and reduced his O2 levels so he took deeper breaths and that helped a lot. 

There is an interesting study now that ventilators might be getting overused on elderly Covid patients and cause more harm than good. Better to leave them on a lower O2 level on just a nasal cannula or use a bipap. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 9:55am
Originally posted by offgrid

I would have thought that at an spO2 of 50% you would be in a coma or worse. 

IANAD, nor do I play one on TV. I was just recalling what I heard on the news by someone described as a doctor familiar with the issue. In any case, we can infer that oxygen levels in the blood are pretty important, and whatever yours is, you should know what the acceptable range is.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 11:24am
Looks like you can survive with an spO2 in the 50's for a short period. 

Acceptable in healthy person > 92%
Acceptable in COPD patient > 88%
Cognitive problems, time to go to hospital < 85%
Organ damage occurs over time < 80%
Severe mental impairment or unconsciousness < 75%
Death occurs over time< 65%
Rapid death < 55%
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

I'll play >April 23rd. Trying to optimistic and believe some of what I'm hearing. Speaking new cases.

I do agree, we are probably over that mark now and don't know it.

Stay safe you all. 

Well, there is your 1 million official US cases, and you were only off by 4 days. Congrats (I guess)?

What's shocking to me is that if you look at NY state as if it was a country, it has had way more Coronavirus deaths per capita than any country in the world, only beaten by San Marino, which a microstate with only 34K ppl. NY has actually had twice as many deaths per capita as any significant country except Belgium, and its getting close to double Belgium too. Looking at the US data the death rate has flattened out but I'm not seeing any real sign that things are tapering off yet.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141516