R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNo reverse with WDH?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: No reverse with WDH?
    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 4:45pm
+1 on not backing up with the sway bar on but it's OK with WDH.  My brother in law ripped his sway bar ball connection right off the trailer frame.
When we picked up our RPod, it was our first travel trailer (previously had tent trailers).  The dealership rep that was "training" us had a great suggestion; he said that when we pull into a campground, one of us should always go to register and the other should always take the sway bar off.  That way you will never accidentally damage the sway bar set up by backing into the campsite spots!  For us, so far so good! :-)   
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 6:26pm
If you have a Fastway E-2 WDH and the bar ever comes off while backing, you should probably check the adjustment of the L brackets on the tongue.  Likely, they are either too far back or right at the aft limit.  Move them a little forward if you can and if it's consistent with the range in the instruction booklet.

When we bought our pod the dealer put them too far back.  I found this out while backing.  I moved them to the correct position and had no further problems.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Mirado View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 6:18pm
I use one of these low-end sway bars.  I have never removed it when backing into a campsite, and I have never had any trouble with it whatsoever.  I know of some users who tighten them W_A_A_A_AY too tight...I can see where that may be a problem.
Miriam and Doug
2015 Rpod 181G
Silverado 1500
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 6:40pm
Never had a problem backing with the E2.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 6:15am
Originally posted by Mirado

I use one of these low-end sway bars.  I have never removed it when backing into a campsite, and I have never had any trouble with it whatsoever.  I know of some users who tighten them W_A_A_A_AY too tight...I can see where that may be a problem.

Agreed. I prefer the "low end" antisway bars. They allow me to adjust antisway resistance independently of wdh tension, which many (most?) of the "high end" integrated ones do not. 

Antisway and wd are two entirely different functions and there is no reason to expect that the proper adjustment for one will be correct for the other. For example, I reduce antisway on slow speed twisty forest service roads and increase it on the freeway. I increase wdh tension outbound on a trip when I have a full fresh water tank and reduce it inbound when the water has been shifted aft to the gray tank.

Takes about 10 seconds to readjust antisway on the "low end" systems. Why spend more for less flexibility? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 4:53pm
Not to worry!  Your not putting anymore stress in reverse than you do going forward.  The friction sway control bars are different entirely.  You need to uncouple that before you do a turn in reverse.
Swampfox
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:03am
I'm of the opinion that neither Load leveling nor sway are meant for anywhere except the highway. Reason not to use elsewhere is the tight turns you encounter. Backing up tends to lead to tight turns (as in town driving can). It's those turns that add the excessive pressure and cause issue.

Personally only backed up twice with the load leveling hitch in place (just forgot to disconnect) and the brackets shifted. Yes a tight turn into a site. 

Again, MHO
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 7:53am
Originally posted by Olddawgsrule

I'm of the opinion that neither Load leveling nor sway are meant for anywhere except the highway. Reason not to use elsewhere is the tight turns you encounter. Backing up tends to lead to tight turns (as in town driving can). It's those turns that add the excessive pressure and cause issue.

Personally only backed up twice with the load leveling hitch in place (just forgot to disconnect) and the brackets shifted. Yes a tight turn into a site. 

Again, MHO

I partially agree. 

The purpose of a wdh is to place more load on the front axle of the tow vehicle and less on the rear axle. So, if you're on a steep, winding, or wet road the wdh can really help with stability and maintaining AWD traction and steering authority.  Also braking, because the front wheels of your TV.  are the best brakes on the rig. So I always use the wdh unless actually parking or otherwise maneuvering in a tight location.

The sway control is another matter. Since it resists allowing the rig to pivot it places a side load on the rear axle of the tow vehicle. That could cause the rear to break loose on a wet or slippery surface. So, I reduce friction from the sway control under those conditions. I'm not going very fast then anyway. I also remove it on winding slower speed roads as its not needed there to prevent sway, so its just creating friction during turns for no benefit. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 12:41pm
Somebody should make a remote operated quick release, or remote mechanical disconnect for those things.

Whatever you want to call it: a button on the dash (or integrated with the backup lights) that releases friction or reduces it when backing up.

Hmmm....patent pending!
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 2:59pm
Better get  it in gear podwerks, you just made  public disclosure of your idea so you now have one year to file for your patent.  And BTW you can't claim your patent is pending until you actually file.Disapprove 

First step is to do a patent search for prior art in the field, I'd be happy to take on that task for $400 an hour billed against a $10K retainer. PM me and I'll be pleased to send you over my professional services agreement to review.Big smile 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12