R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNo reverse with WDH?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: No reverse with WDH?
    Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 7:08am
I have been looking in to a weight distribution hitch (WDH) for my R-Pod and it looks like I will probably order a new one. I am seeing a lot of information that you cannot go in reverse with it attached, not even one foot. Not even straight back?

Can someone explain if that applies to all brands and types, or if that only applies when you have the separate "sway control bar" attached? 

I think I am going to buy the 6,000lb Fastway one that appears from posts here to be an appropriate one: Fastway 94-00-0600 e2 6K GTW Round Bar Weight Distributing Hitch 12” Shank

Can you go in reverse with that one? I don't see a separate sway control bar with it like some of the other brands have.

Thanks!
2019 R-Pod 191
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 7:49am
Where are you reading you can't back up? I have never seen such a warning for a WDH. Backing is an integral part of towing.

Are you sure you are not confusing anti sway with weight distribution?
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:31am
I can definitely back up with my Equalizer WDH/sway control unit without any issues.I can't speak for other brands or setups. I have the 6000#unit with 600# bars. I have used it with 2 different RPods(173/179) for over 8 years
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
CharlieM View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:37am
The reverse problem is associated with flat anti-sway devices of the friction type that connect from a separate ball on the TV hitch mount to a ball welded on the trailer frame. These low end devices buckle and must be removed before backing up. Since they are often added to pure WDHs they have become associated with WDH in the public mind. Combination WDH/anti-sway hitches like the Fastway E2 and others by Equal-i-zer, Curt, Reese, Eaz-Lift do not have this problem and may be left connected while backing.
Charlie
Northern Colorado
OLD: 2013 RP-172, 2010 Honda Pilot 3.5L 4WD
PRESENT: 2014 Camplite 21RBS, 2013 Supercharged Tacoma 4L V6 4WD
offgrid View Drop Down

A wdh can limit how sharp you can turn because the spring bars can reach the end of their available travel. That applies both forward and reverse. But you can certainly back up as long as you’re not trying to turn really tight. If I’m backing into a tight campsite though I generally try to release the bars first. Puts a lot less stress on the system that way.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
1nana2many View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

We have two different WDH/ANTI-SWAY hitches for two different RVs and we have never had any issues with backing up with everything attached. Unless, of course, if you count when I was still learning to back up a trailer, but that had nothing to do with the hitch! Embarrassed
The mountains are calling and we must go...O.D., Keith & Jody
2016 RP179= O.D. (Olive Drab)
2008 Coachman Captiva
1993 Jayco 1206 popup
2016 F150 Supercrew
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 8:40am
Originally posted by furpod

Where are you reading you can't back up? I have never seen such a warning for a WDH. Backing is an integral part of towing.

Are you sure you are not confusing anti sway with weight distribution?

I wouldn't say confused as much as seeking clarification on how they work while backing. Some WDH list as providing only weight distribution, then some say they prevent both, (Andersen for example) and then I see some with a separate sway bar that gets attached. That's why I posted "or if that only applies when you have the separate "sway control bar" attached? " in my question.
2019 R-Pod 191
Wirat View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 9:08am
Originally posted by CharlieM

The reverse problem is associated with flat anti-sway devices of the friction type that connect from a separate ball on the TV hitch mount to a ball welded on the trailer frame. These low end devices buckle and must be removed before backing up. Since they are often added to pure WDHs they have become associated with WDH in the public mind. Combination WDH/anti-sway hitches like the Fastway E2 and others by Equal-i-zer, Curt, Reese, Eaz-Lift do not have this problem and may be left connected while backing.

I see, that clarifies it. Thanks!
2019 R-Pod 191
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 3:56pm
I use the Fastway E2  600/6000 Wdh. I've done almost 90 degree turns backing, with no problem ever. I never really looked to see how close the end of the spring bars gets to the brackets. I was told when I bought the Wdh that you CAN backup with it, and never gave it a second thought. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 4:02pm
When we had our accident a few years ago, we hit ice with a crosswind. I think the Equal-i-zer bars helped prevent the accident from being worse as there was a definite imprint of a bar in the bumper. It stopped the trailer from swinging around even more and causing more damage to both the trailer and the tow vehicle which, at the time, was a 2016 Ford Escape. Now we tow with a Hensley Cub hitch. The way it is articulated means I can make some pretty tight turns with it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>