R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas Mileage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Mileage
    Posted: 29 Jul 2010 at 9:51pm
When I did the airflow analysis last year, positioning a spoiler at the top/rear of the r-pod seemed to have the best effect for moving the disturbance away from the trailer.

Baseline (no spoiler):

Top/Rear of r-pod:

brownd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 8:08am

Thanks for including your work on the computer generated foil.  It is interesting that the air dam refered to in the comment about the 173t is in exactly the same spot that you recommended in your analysis.  It is also interesting in the post preceding yours that the individual with the Chevy pickup with a v8, six speed transmission and the chevy truck tow package indicates that the r.pod really affects his performance too.   I thought it was primairly on medium size sixes like my grand cherokee. 

Yesterday I emailed Forest River again because the engineer had not responded to my 1st email. asking about the dam on the 173t and if they put it on there for improved performance or to insure no leaks where the bed hinges open.  Also made it clear that I am not upset with the rpod, but would sure love to hear about anything that might  improve performance and mileage we are all geting and that if they developed an aftermarked device that worked it should sell pretty good. 

Anyway, thanks for the posting of your work on the airflow, it really depicts what seems to be going on.

Still looking for a response from someone who either has the 2011 173t with the airdam and what their tow vehicle is and how it performs relative to miles/gallon and towing ease.

Also anyone who has tried any type of aftermarket dam on their vehicle or pod.

Thanks

Dave
pod-head View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2010 at 10:05pm
Something to keep in mind:

The drag of an object (truck w/ rpod) scales as the square of the velocity (v^2), meaning the drag increase between 30mph and 60 mph is not double, but 4X.

The power required to overcome this extra drag scales at the cube of the velocity (v^3). This means that the extra power required in the case above is 9X.

Slow and steady wins the race.
===========================
'10 RP177 towed with '10 Tundra
D and T, and sometimes Nala the cat
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 5:27pm
For anyone who's wondering what airfoil they're talking about, here's a pic.

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 11:58am
Great close up photo.  Much better than the one that I found previously.

While at the Eastern Round up in Kentucky, I talked to the FR engineer who readily admitted the spoiler on the 173T was to reduce drag.  I did not ask about having the airfoil available as an after-market kit because I did not figure that it could be done without compromising the integrity of the unit.  The 173T seems to have some additional components for the slide out that support the airfoil.

We pull our unit at about 55mph due to the drag and get mileage of about 13mpg.
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 3:03pm

I second the request about whether or not anyone has installed an aftermarket spoiler to the back of their Pod. 

It appears from OUTBOUND's airflow studies and FR's addition of a spoiler to the 173t, that there is a need  for a spoiler on our Pods!  If anyone still has the photos of the 'factory trip' a member took a few months ago, which had the aluminum ribs exposed...it should be possible to anchor a spoiler across the back of the Pod, without going all the way through the rear wall.
TIDALWAVE
Rog-Pod-ge View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 5:05pm
We just purchased a 177 and were surprised and disappointed at the fuel consmption it commanded. We have a V8 Touareg and towing our 17 1/2" outboard with a 115 HP motor we pulled almost 15 mpg on a trip to Canada and the rig weighs in very close to the Pod. Coming back from Michigan with the POD, we were running less than 10 mpg.  I double checked tire pressures on both units and they were both at or near max psi recommended. Sure the Pod is much taller but that was a big mileage hit. On the converse, the V8 still allowed me to pass when I needed to.  I'd e interested to see or hear from others. I'd happily drive somewhat slower but even when I did I did not see a bid difference in mpg.
Rog Podge
popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 7:03pm
Define slower.  We find that 55 is the max speed to keep the mileage from falling off the cliff.

R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by TIDALWAVE

If anyone still has the photos of the 'factory trip' a member took a few months ago, which had the aluminum ribs exposed...it should be possible to anchor a spoiler across the back of the Pod, without going all the way through the rear wall.

Unfortunately, the photos posted by Sandpiper on Rpod Nation don't include any of the roof construction, just the base, interior and sidewalls. I'm not sure if they have any more pictures that might include shots of the roof structure. It's definitely worth investigating. For anyone interested in the pictures of naked r-pods, look no further:

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
KSinclair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 12:13am
Originally posted by brownd

Thanks for the replies.  The little airdam shows up real good in your first link.  It would be worth a call to forest river to see if mileage and handling is why they put it there or if it is to deflect rain when the extra bed is set up.  It looks like it is on the 2011 and not the 2010, but I can't be sure. 

There is a picture of a 2010 173T at Giant RV in Murietta, CA that has the airdam.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 21>