R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas Mileage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 21>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Mileage
    Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 3:41pm

We just returned from a trip to the Upper Peninsula of Mi.  Aside from the gas mileage, the camping was great.  After all of the responses I heard from each of you it appeared that the only cure for 11 mpg would be slower speed.  My 1st trip I was trying to keep speed at 55 to 60.  I decided for this current entire trip to try 50 mph pulling my Rpod 171 with my 2009 six cylinder Grand Cherokee.  I averaged 12.4 heading east with no wind and moderate hills.  Coming back the same way but with about a 15 mph headwind I averaged 11.3 mpg.  To sum that up, speed made very little difference.  I had made one other trip on a hilly and curvy road where speed could be no more than 45 and I averaged 13.2 mpg.  Somewhere between 45 and 50 the wind takes over.  Transmission was left in 4th gear on the 5 speed automatic to ensure overdrive would not kick in and out.  The transmission spent a fair amount of time in 4th at 1900 rpm with no wind but against the wind or up hills it was in 3rd at about 2500 rpm. 

At 50 mph you sure can build a line of traffic behind you.  Got to pull over occasionally.

I sent a 2nd email to Forest River Customer service about the possibility of the Air deflector also asking them for confirmation they were experimenting on the 173.  So far they have not returned the request.  I am going to forward this link to them.

Questions:  Rog-Pod-Ge:  What was your speed.  I am still very surprised that many v8s are also having difficulty pulling the rpod relative to mileage?

Popgoesweasel:  What automobile and engine configuration are you pulling your 173 with?  Also hilly or flatland? 

Thanks for all the responses, maybe someone will come up with a solution or maybe after gas goes back up to 4.00/gal we’ll do like the guys pulling the big rigs.  Stop camping.  That would be too bad.

Dave
popgoesweasel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 8:50pm
brownd,

We have a 171.  

I talked to the Forest River engineer at the eastern rally in Kentucky in June.  He confirmed that the device installed on the 173T was to reduce drag.

We have a Frontier V6 two wheel drive standard setup.  We travel between 55-60.  The trip to the rally was from Florida up through Georgia into Tennessee and then Kentucky.  Almost all the travel was on interstates with the overdrive lockout switch engaged on the trannie to prevent the constant shifting between fourth and overdrive.  We had MPG's between fill ups that were all in the low teens with an average of about 13 mpg.  This is about half of the regular highway mileage without the pod for this vehicle.  The peak torque on the 09 is 281 lb-ff @ 4000 rpm and the maximum horsepower is 261 @ 5600 rpm.  Most of the time we had the engine running in the 2000's.  Torque really falls off quickly in the low 2000's on this engine.  This engine is better than the ones in some vettes that I had in the 60's and they had to have super grade gasoline.
R171 2010
Frontier 2009
Site 40 Eastern Rally 2010
Outbound View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2010 at 9:26pm
maybe someone will come up with a solution or maybe after gas goes back up to 4.00/gal we’ll do like the guys pulling the big rigs.  Stop camping.  That would be too bad.

I've found that as gas prices rise that the guys with the big rigs start looking for seasonal sites.

BTW: gasoline 'round here is 99.9 cents per litre, which would be $3.78 / us gallon and has been at least that for two years.  I haven't noticed a drop in the number of people towing on the highways or in the campgrounds.

Frankly, I don't think that there's a solution to this problem that will have much of an impact on gas mileage.  I suspect 0.5 to maybe 1.0 extra miles per gallon at the most would come from a spoiler.  The problem is the wind resistance: its like pulling a barn door down the highway, and there's not much that can be done about that.
Craig :: 2009 RP171 towed by a 2017 F150
brownd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 3:30pm

Outbound, you are probably right that big increases in mileage are not to be found with spoilers but I would at least like to do better than my snowmobile which does about 13 mpg.  This was my first experience with a small travel trailer and I guess I expected it to be fairly similar to the popup that I traded up from to this.  Obviously it was much lower profile.    I think it would still be of value to keep this thread alive, number 1 so that those researching this unit or other small travel trailers won't be quite so surprised and who knows someone might come up with something.  It would be nice if it were Forest Wood with a retrofit should the 173 spoiler work at all. 

Dave
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 4:01pm
I did send these questions off to my contact @ FR.  I'll let you know if I hear back.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
brownd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 9:33pm
Thanks, we will be waiting for any responce from Forest Wood.
Dave
Butterfly_Lee View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 10:48pm
Couple of questions.

1. According to the models does the spare tire have any effect (with or without) on the turbulence in the back, (i.e. would moving the spare tire help) .   What happens when you put a bike rack or carrier in the back. 

2. So far I've only seen the model with an SUV, does it make a difference with an open bed pickup, or would a slanted (up) cab over the bed help with airflow.

Here's where I'm going, slanted cab deflecting airflow up and over the pod, and moving the spare tire to tongue or elsewhere.  Would we gain any smoother airflow, which should translate into better MPG.

Just my two cents

LeeClap

Still a work in progress, lots of pictures.
http://podterfly.blogspot.com/
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:11am
   Butterfly Lee  I thought about the same question does moving the spare tire to the front make a difference with air flow. We moved the spare tire to the front but we also changed tow vehicles at the same time, so I don"t know if it made a difference with the MPG. But it seems to make since that it may help with the air flow.       David and Danette
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 8:02pm
For the last two months I have been towing my Pod with a 2010 Chevy Pickup with a V8 engine and auto transmission.  Because I have room in the pickup bed and carry a bike, I frequently tow the Pod with the spare in the truck.  I have found no change in the mpg whether or not the spare
is on the Pod or the bike replaces the spare.  I get about 11-12 mpg using 'tow haul' (no overdrive) and gain about 1 to 2 mpg shutting off tow haul (with overdrive).
TIDALWAVE
TIDALWAVE View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2010 at 9:01pm
I just came back from a camping trip and encountered an "A-Liner' owner who hauls the largest
version.  His A-Liner weighs significantly more than my Pod but is able to lower the 'walls/top'
like a tent camper.  He also pulls his A-Liner with a Chevy pickup identical to mine in engine and
transmission.  He gets about 14-17mpg.  Which is about 30% better mileage than what I have been getting.  It seems that pulling anything higher than your tow vehicle really cuts the mileage!
TIDALWAVE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 21>