R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas Mileage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>
Author
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas Mileage
    Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 4:47pm
In a later email I made an offer to be a prototype tester, and said I was sure others here would be willing.  I would be more than happy to take test runs and report my results to FR.
Doug ~ '10 171 (2009-2015) ~ 2008 Salem ~ Pod instruction manual
brownd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 8:31pm
I too would be interested in doing prototype testing if that were an option.  Since I am centered out of Northern Wisconsin and mainly camp there and in the UP, obviously if it happens and occured in the winter months, folks in the southwest and south would be the most likely candidates.  Data collection which includes vehicle make and model, engine type, transmission, rear end gearing, terrain, weather conditions and speed will all play into any potential testing.  Folks who are chosen to do testing, if it were to happen, would have to very carefully record all of that information.  In addition to MPG recording, performance information would also be very necessary.  Rpms at different miles/hour, does your transmission search constantly for the proper gearing on a rolling highway etc. 

Also based on all the responses it appears that drag may be eliminated with a vehicle mounted diflector (mistakenly loaded Kayak) or a Pod mounted rear spoiler (Earlier computer generated smoke tests).  

It is still interesting to me that noone with a 173 that has the airfoil has not surfaced and said that it makes a difference or not. 
Dave
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 9:36pm

Completely unrelated to this thread, I was poking around the videos on the 2nd page and came across this neat video of our 'pods being made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0W9PCL7TZM&feature=player_embedded

rpodcamper.com View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 11:00pm
I need to do some more playing with the kayaks and r-pod.  I do not always carry them with me as we are camping depends on where and who is going.  The wind noise was the kayaks while they were in the vshape and the wind was hitting the cockpits.  They do sell covers to cover them up but I have not yet got them.  I did do some playing about a year ago on a short haul comparision with a straight wind deflector on top of the car and really did not see any difference.  One thing we need to remember we are pulling a "brick" wall down the road on wheels as it sits up high behind the vehicles. 
ToddsPod View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 8:08am
I would definitely do some prototype testing, and I will be doing most of my camping in the fall/winter, as that's the best time in Texas. I have one of the underpowered TVs that would definitely benefit from reduced drag, if that's possible. If they came up with a design that was tested and proven, I'd be likely to buy it. Pricing would have to be in the sub-$200 range, preferably under $100.

'07 Dodge RAM 1500 ST Longbed QuadCab 4.7L V8 --- '10 Forest River R-Pod 172
techntrek View Drop Down
Admin Group - pHp
Admin Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 9:51am
rpodcamper - what about mounting the 'yaks with the cockpits facing inward?  Eliminates the turbulence from the air crossing that hole.

I have revised my math on the last page, someone pointed out an error I made!
HuronSailor View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by brownd

I am centered out of Northern Wisconsin and mainly camp there and in the UP

You weren't in Bay Furnace west of Munising a few weeks ago, were you?

We were on the east side of town, in Wandering Wheels, spotted the other pod on a drive-through one day.
.: Mark & Beth :: Silverado 5.3L :: 2018 rPod 180 :.
brownd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 4:08pm

No, but we were in Bewabic State Park 2 weeks ago. 

Dave
David and Danette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2010 at 6:20pm
[QUOTE=techntrek]

Completely unrelated to this thread, I was poking around the videos on the 2nd page and came across this neat video of our 'pods being made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0W9PCL7TZM&feature=player_embedded

I was looking at the short video to see how the roofs were made on the pods. In the video which was not that clear looks like it is wood framed. Does anyone know how the two sides are joined together?     David 
2018 Vista Cruiser 19BFD (2018-              
2012 Vibe 6503 (2014-2019)
2009 r-pod 171 (2009-2014)
Middle Tn
2014 Ram 1500 Quad cab

brownd View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 4:14pm
I hope this forum has not run out of gas.  I realize that it is a lot more fun to discuss the modifications and other fun things that we all do with our R.Pods, but I was hoping that through the contact from Forest River that responded to us all through Techntrek, that we might be able to get some live research on the pod to see if there is any chance of improving gas mileage we get.  At gas below 3 dollars / gallon stateside it is hard to keep the discussion going, but I'll bet that when we go to 4.00 per gallon again that there will be a lot of campers that will look to park their units at one campground, sell their units etc.  I think what people have said is that they would purchase a proven after market wind diflector or spoiler if made avaliable and if affordable.  So far, other than the kayaks that were mistakenly loaded in a V that appeared to improve mileage we have heard nothing other than we are pulling a barn door or a brick.  Though it is a brick and seems to push a lot of wind, it is a pretty light unit and the fact that V8s have difficulty show that the problem is wind. 

Any more news on whether the kayak loading really improved mileage or if it was a one time spike.
Anyone who has a 173 with the spoiler and some mileage results.
Has the Forest River rep said any more. 

It will be a lot more fun to discuss the different parks we have visited when gas goes up than how to preserve our tires because it is always parked.

Help Forest River
Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 21>