R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAttaching Items to Walls ??? - Event Date: 29 Mar 2020 - 29 Jun 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Attaching Items to Walls ???
    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 5:15pm
My wife and I are new rPod owners............in fact, ours is still sitting in Ohio awaiting to be picked up.  Like many of you we plan to make some modifications like attaching light-weight racks, clocks, etc. to the internal walls in several places.  I realize that it depends upon the weight of the item.......but we would appreciate any recommendations on the best (and worst?) methods to attach items securely to the wall.  Also, for heavier items (~10 lbs) is it possible to drill into the wall to use something like a toggle anchor bolt?   Thanks in advance for your time.   

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 5:55pm
I'd suggest that you take a look at an rPod construction video before attaching stuff to your interior walls. It will help you to better visualize what you have in there. You have a pretty thin luan layer with foam insulation behind that. It would be hard to get an expansion anchor to expand into the closed cell foam.  If you are attaching to the side walls and can find the 1 inch square aluminum tubes then you can probably attach something that weighs 10 lbs or more, but if you're just into the luan or in the curved roof areas which don't have aluminum tubing then not so much. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
rPodCamping View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 7:02pm
Thanks very much, I do appreciate it.  
geewizard View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 7:45pm
We use Command hooks and fasteners.  There's a variety of styles and strengths.  Home improvement stores have them as does Amazon.  They work well.

2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2017 R-Pod 177 (Blue) HRE SOLD
2004 Outfitter Apex 8 camper
2014 Toyota Tundra DC

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 9:02pm

Great.............we will check them out.  Many thanks.................... 
JR View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 9:40am
+1 geewizard we use velcro command strips and we have even used it on a large cribbage board, after I take it off the wall and my wife beats me in a game of cribbage I can then hang it back up on the wall as a piece of folk art the command strips work well
Jay

179/2019

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:13am
 I can definitely relate to getting beat by my wife at cribbage.............too frequently.   Ouch

Sounds like this Command brand is highly recommended, and it looks like they are available from Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, and other big box stores.  

Thank you for the feedback.  Stay safe.............   I hope we get to go camping this year.  
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:23am
I've had Command stuff fall off walls before. Seems like it adheres well initially but once its there for few months it often seems to fail.  I suspect humidity causes it but don't know for sure. One good thing is that the hangers came off clean and didn't mar the wall finish. Can't say the same for the stuff that fell down though.Wink

Also note that something that weighs 10 lbs will effectively weigh 20-25 in a trailer going down a bumpy road, so plan accordingly.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 12:23pm
Ok, thanks.  

Forgot about the ride down the road potentially making items heavier and knocking them off the wall.  Maybe we take everything done before we go down the rood......

Have you ever tried to use a standard stud finder to locate wood or metal 'studs' (or whatever the correct term used for trailers is...........)?  Guess I'll give it a go when we finally get the trailer to our home. 

Appreciate your thoughts..............  
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:21pm
Good question.  I haven't tried a stud finder. The side walls have aluminum square tubing so I'm not sure a magnetometer based detector will find that. The old school stud finders with the magnets in them wouldn't. The new imaging ones ought to work.  

You might not need that though, you can know pretty close where to look if you review the construction videos, mostly the aluminum frames the doors and windows. Use a tiny drill bit to make a pilot hole, worst thing that happens is you seal up the little hole with a bit caulk. Don't drill all the way through the wall though, its only an inch. Embarrassed
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>