R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLeaky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leaky
    Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:11am
I discovered I have a pretty good size leak in my camper. I'm not sure yet where it's coming from, but I'm wondering about sealant. I know that Dicor is the choice of sealant on the roof. But I'm not sure if it's the window, or maybe even the mounting frame of the backup camera isn't quite sealed. I've heard not to use silicone caulk, does that mean not around the windows either? What would be used ? Tyia
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
mcarter View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:44am
I do not use silicone. I have had good luck with Lexel, bit expensive, but durable and paintable. It is a sealant and adhesive. Good luck with finding leak.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:49am
The windows have a bulb/tape seal, 1st thing to try, if you think that's the leak point, is to tighten the screws that pinch the window in the wall, and compress the seal.. 
You can use silicone on vertical surfaces.
I don't know who told you not to, but it's what the factory uses. As Mike said above, there are better choices, but silicone will work, as long as it's used right.
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by mjlrpod

I discovered I have a pretty good size leak in my camper. I'm not sure yet where it's coming from, but I'm wondering about sealant. I know that Dicor is the choice of sealant on the roof. But I'm not sure if it's the window, or maybe even the mounting frame of the backup camera isn't quite sealed. I've heard not to use silicone caulk, does that mean not around the windows either? What would be used ? Tyia

Better check the air dam on the top.... Most of the leaks come in that area....
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2020 at 9:48am
I had that leak, fixed with eternabond tape.
Mike Carter
2015 178
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 2:23pm
I got the hose out and totally doused the entire back end with water. Not a drop of water in the camper? I squirted it from the ground, like a rain storm, then straight on, like it was a wind blown sideways rain, then I got on the roof and ran it on the roof and let it cascade over every edge. I do not understand how it was leaking quite a bit, and now not at all. I guess i'll have to do the "keep an eye on it" method.
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 2:37pm
It would help to describe where the leak is. It sounds like it is at the back end. Is it near the refrigerator? IIRC, the 195 has the top vent for the refrigerator. Check around that if that looks like where the water is. Otherwise, the transition between roof and back end on the 195 could be suspect as it does not have the one-piece fiberglass roof.

One other thing to remember is that the entry point for the water might not be where you are seeing it inside. It could be entering somewhere else and flowing along some internal channel to the place where you are seeing it. If you have the capability to hook up a blower to a filler board (plywood cut to fit a door or window opening) and can pressurize the RPod, you can then take a soap solution on the outside and see if you can find the leak by spraying/pouring soap solution on all the various joints, window/door frames, etc. and seeing if bubbles appear. This is the way we tested cabin cruisers for leaks when I worked for Uniflite many, many years ago.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 5:37pm
MJ - Is it possible leak is internal and not external? Have you applied water to system and opened the cabinets?
Mike Carter
2015 178
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 6:31pm
That is one thing that I can confirm might be happening. I don't think all the fittings in the RPod are always adequately tightened at the factory. On ours, it was the kitchen drain that was not tight, causing a leak into the drawers below it and the floor. A brand-new cookbook was in one of the drawers and it was severely damaged. I was not happy. After that, I also found that the outside shower fittings were not fully tight. Also, the way the lines were run, they were running up and then bent around to go on the fitting. I changed that out to put elbows on the back side of the shower valves so the lines would run straight up to the valves. The thing about that is that those valves were directly above the shore power connector. I would not like to think what would have happened if one of those fittings really started to leak while shore power was plugged in.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2020 at 7:09am
Ok, yes the leak was in the back section, opposite end of tongue. I poured water over the top vent for the fridge, as well as all around it. It didn't leak at that time.  I have several sealed areas on the roof. The fridge vent, the antennea, the solar connector, the ladder, and the seam that joins the roof and the back wall. On the back wall, I have a window, a vent that allows the hood over the stove to vent air, and my backup camera. I drenched all of those areas. I am spraying the whole roof, and looking for anything that looks like it maybe could be the cause. As far as inside, no the leak wasn't inside. It was actually winterized and had no water in the system when I discovered it. I agree with you stephen about loose plumbing connections, I had to not only tighten mine up in my 172, but I had to take the drain pipes apart, and reassemble them because they were put together so poorly, and out of alignment, and leaked. It's a really rainy day today, I will be watching for it to leak. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>