R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAntenna removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Antenna removal
    Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 5:46pm
Hi gang-hope everyone staying safe.  I have a 2016 182g.  Has anyone ever removed the antenna.  It is the one that has 2 "wings".  It essentially worthless where I live in Wyoming and makes it difficult to put on the cover efficiently.  In addition it is getting bent.  It looks somewhat simple to remove the screws but I don't want to leave an opening that will allow water in.

On a side note-can anyone elaborate on why the garage of g models were discontinued.  I'm guessing sales were lagging.

Appreciate any assistance you can provide.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 5:56pm
What you could do is what I did when mine broke as a temporary fix. Remove the head with the wings and leave the mast. Get a PVC pipe cap that will fit over the opening in the post. Put sealant around the top of the mast and put the cap on. If you think it is needed, take some Gorilla tape and tape around the cap. Then you will have a leak-proof setup without the antenna. You will still need to watch out for your cover. However, if you were to remove the mast, you would need to figure out how to seal not only the screw holes, but also the larger center hole through which the wires pass. You could remove the mast and use a plate larger than the mast base and seal around it with lap sealant also, but the first method is faster and will work. Plus, the mast is still there if you want to put an antenna back up there.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Wyomingpodder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 6:05pm
Thank you.  That makes perfect sense.

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 5:53am
Or, possibly you could use the hole where the  antenna wires came through as a chase to run wires to a roof mounted solar module. That might be far more useful to you than the antenna is depending on where you camp. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 6:26am
Hear ya on useless.. I carefully tried to remove the wing only (mine is blade style), but was using a little too much force.. I wanted to replace the blade with my Yagi. Now that would be useful!
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply