Topic ClosedConsidering an R-Pod 190

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering an R-Pod 190
    Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 1:53pm
Hello, new to this forum and so far it has been extremely helpful.  I am in the market for an R-pod, and I am considering a 2020 R-pod 190.  My local dealer has one that was in their rental inventory for 6-months, and it is about $2k less then the new ones (and hope to talk them down more).  My concern is the lack of the warranty as it is not transferable (I will get a 30 day only), as it sounds like their are often small issues in the first year of use.  So is the savings worth it? 
Also, I may only have this for a year or two as I am buying it to keep traveling for work, no more airplanes or hotels for me for a while.  How are people doing with resale values on these if they are only a couple of years old?

Thanks in Advance!
Buffalohunter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 2:25pm
I bought a 2 week used 189... no warranty no extended no nothing... couldn’t justify the monies for  the hypothetical. I’m a hands on fix-it guy anyway...we are rainbirds over wintering in Aridzona...lots of camping...1800 mile migration...nothing wrong so far. Except for their cheesy-arse bracket that held up the black water discharge pipe and ground down the waste discharge valve all while I was camping out nowhere in the desert. So who needs a warranty...zip ties don’t leave home without them. Repairs/material all available on line. Save the money but just my two cents worth of advice.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 3:18pm
Go over it thoroughly and if needed, use the 30 day warranty to address any issues you did not catch on the walk-through. Then realize that many things will be okay, but if you are traveling with it, the rolling earthquake can shake things loose. Be prepared to do minor repairs. Keep the tires inflated properly (hopefully, they are load range D). Get a torque wrench to check the lug nuts. If the wheel is taken off, it should be torqued, checked at 50 miles, checked again after about another 100, and then daily when you are moving as they can work loose. The last thing you want is to be passed by one of your trailer wheels. Disapprove

Beef up the suspension bracket for the black water tank. You could look at my mods to see how I did it and why (see Buffalohunter's story also). There are many mods you may wish to do to make the RPod something that suits your needs better. The RPods are great for doing mods.

Above all, enjoy your RPod. You may decide to keep it even after the current situation ends. It is nice to not have to deal with the TSA and airport crowds and it is even nicer to sleep in your own bed.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 4:10pm
I would also say the resale value is good, as you are seeing by trying to buy a used, and it's still near new pricing. As far as small issues, there will be small issues "every" year. Try pulling your house around and see what loosens, wiggles free, or separates. Usually it's a simple fix, once you know how. That's where all these people come in. The best thing about buying a camper is, there are thousands of people out there that can't wait to tell you how you can resolve any issue. We are all backyard experts in some type of thing, and are willing to help you, free of charge. Don't be afraid, get the best deal you can get, and start the enjoyment. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
vbdomenico View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 4:40pm
Thanks for everyone replies, much appreciated.  I will be doing a thorough walkthrough, and make sure everything that runs via battery, plug-in, and/or propane works.  I'm new to campers, but not to fixing things, both vehicles and homes, so I do feel fairly confident and am not worried about the little things.
I will be checking it out tomorrow.  And thanks for the mod for the sewer drain, there is a lot of information on that and I will be securing it before my first trip.   I do like that the mods for these seem endless,
The dealer is trying to tell me that they are having a high volume of sales right now due to the current situation (everyone like me is planning on changing their style of traveling/vacationing), but I mainly noticed people looking at/buying the large campers and RVs, probably the low gas prices. Sounds like this one has been on their lot for a couple of months, I'm going to get them down as low as I can!
mcarter View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 5:02pm
I bought a used 2015 178 in 2015, saved considerable money. I got a very limited warranty. The previous owners had used their available warranty so the RV was relatively sound. I have had the normal problems with a POD, leaky spoiler, bad sewer brackets, metal screws pulled form cross frame brackets, everything but a bent axle. I have fixed all myself and am extremely happy with purchase. Between this forum and some amount of handiness I have never had the POD in the shop. I have never had a new RV with a warranty, and I have never missed it, the 178 is the newest RV I have ever owned.
Mike Carter
2015 178
" I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability."
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 6:15pm
You may want to print up one or more of the pre-purchase check lists and spend a few hours before taking delivery to go over everything to make sure it's all working.  It won't help with something that breaks after your purchase, but you'll catch many of the problems that need attention.  I did this with the Sonoma that replaced our Pod and was very glad I did it.  I ended up with about a 20 item punch list, and everything got fixed before delivery.   I haven't had any problems since taking a week long trip for it's maiden voyage.  As luck would hav it, now we're waiting its safety venture out without the Covid zombies roaming around.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 5:37pm
We have a 190 and really like it.  Haven't had any issues.  Got a lot of mods from this forum.  Enjoy!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
vbdomenico View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 7:13pm
Just pulled the trigger on the 2020 190, pick it up in two weeks!
Thanks for the help.  Anyone have suggesting for what brand of cover to get?
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 8:10pm
Congratulations on the purchase, I don't think you're going to regret it!  I love our RPod and this forum is fantastic for helpful advice, troubleshooting resources and modifications.  You'll get used to using the "search" function pretty quickly as you try to figure things out. 

As far as a cover is concerned, I'm not convinced you'll need one.  I was originally going to buy one but then i heard from others that you don't need it but you need to remember to keep your seals caulked and make sure you wax it regularly.

Enjoy!  I can't wait to get mine out of storage but unfortunately we still have snow flying right now!
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>