Topic ClosedConsidering an R-Pod 190

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering an R-Pod 190
    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:22am
For now, I have been putting a plastic cover over it. That is why I have been thinking of figuring out a way to mount it inside.

Edit: The first one I saw at the rally, the owner had inverted a 5-gallon bucket over the top of it so it was protected. He also had it sitting on a couple of blocks so it was elevated off the ground.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
vbdomenico View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 10:33am
And yes I was talking about plugging it into a standard 15 amp with adapter.  I know that will not run the AC or microwave.  I was just wondering if the booster would cause issues in that situation.  I will reach out to Hughes.
I also have a iGen2200 inverter/generator, that also probably won't run the AC, but it can be paralleled and considering getting a 2nd one as that should run the AC.  

I pick up my 190 in 2 weeks, it is 3 states away, then I will immediately be using it for work with no 30 amp access.  Getting everything together without having it the 190 on me is proving to be difficult!  Fortunately I shouldn't need the AC for a while.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 11:13am
Originally posted by StephenH

I think it would still boost the voltage, but it might increase the amperage needed, which would have the possibility of tripping a 15A breaker. I guess the answer would depend on what you would intend to operate. Some things are voltage-sensitive and sagging voltage is not good for them. The AC is one such item.

If your supply voltage is low an autoformer should reduce the current load on the circuit not increase it, because if a transformer is increasing voltage it will simultaneously reduce current, so the power output equals the power input (less a very small loss to internal heat in the xformer). If the supply voltage is OK it won't have any effect. The Hughes site explains this pretty well. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 11:28am
Originally posted by offgrid

I think it would still boost the voltage, but it might increase the amperage needed, which would have the possibility of tripping a 15A breaker. I guess the answer would depend on what you would intend to operate. Some things are voltage-sensitive and sagging voltage is not good for them. The AC is one such item.

If your supply voltage is low an autoformer should reduce the current load on the circuit not increase it, because if a transformer is increasing voltage it will simultaneously reduce current, so the power output equals the power input (less a very small loss to internal heat in the xformer). If the supply voltage is OK it won't have any effect. The Hughes site explains this pretty well. 
Thanks for the correction. My memory was not accurate in this case.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 11:39am
The iGen2200 should run the AC just fine, especially if you install a Micro-Air EasyStart. Until April 30, there is a $30 discount. You won't be able to run other appliances at the same time (e.g. refrigerator on propane instead of 110V) or do the converter's bulk charge on the battery, but it should work, at least at lower elevations.

One consideration with a generator is that unlike shore power, a generator is not bonded. I made a bonding plug. They can be purchased, but it is cheaper to get a 3-prong plug and use a short piece of wire to connect the neutral and ground. This is used in one of the generator's outlets to make it act like the shore power and keep the circuit analyzer happy. Otherwise, it will throw an error.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 3:10pm

The current will go down downstream of the autoformer, but will go up on the upstream side. Just to be clear. So if you are on a 15amp breaker at the pedestal, and you are drawing close to the 15 amp limit. Then you put in the autoformer which boosts the voltage downstream it is possible to now trip the 15 amp breaker feeding the pedestal (because the current on that side will go up).
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by GlueGuy

The current will go down downstream of the autoformer, but will go up on the upstream side. Just to be clear. So if you are on a 15amp breaker at the pedestal, and you are drawing close to the 15 amp limit. Then you put in the autoformer which boosts the voltage downstream it is possible to now trip the 15 amp breaker feeding the pedestal (because the current on that side will go up).
So, that is what I was thinking was the case. I just didn't express it adequately. I guess I was right after all.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 3:47pm
So what I am getting out of this is that if I will be more often than not running the power using a standard 15a plug or a generator, I really don't want a booster, just a surge protector?  Electrical is the probably the thing I understand the least when it comes to the trades.
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 3:58pm
A lot depends on the quality of the power available. In some RV parks, the electrical systems are inadequate and there can be brownouts which could damage things like the AC. The Autoformer is made for such situations where the voltage is sagging. It will boost it which means that the amperage needed to run things remains lower so your appliances are likely to last longer. However, whether you NEED one or not, is debatable. Whether you might find it useful is a matter of personal choice. I chose to purchase one.

For the most part, if you think you will have relatively stable power without voltage sags, then a surge protector or an upgraded circuit analyzer with surge protection is a good choice.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 5:24pm
Thanks again.  I'm thinking I will go with the Hughes surge protector with EPO. The price is right and I like that you can monitor it with your smart phone, it is actually $40 cheaper on Amazon than it is on Hughes site.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>