R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBattery Maintenance?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battery Maintenance?
    Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 2:55pm
Same basic principle here, every 3 months for water level. I keep my charged with solar. I do go a bit further and check voltage weekly. I also tend to run the batt's down a bit once a month. Just me and what I do. My trade-in batts for these new ones where close to the age of the salesperson selling them to me.. LOL

I'll have to learn a whole new way once the lithium is installed. That will come in the house for the winter and be a UPS as required. 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 2:38pm
Unfortunately, the problem can cascade if ignored. The low cell lowers the voltage and the charger thinks it needs to jump to bulk charge mode which causes more heat and evaporation. I'm sorry your boat batteries had the problem. However, you may be okay with the RPod. I've gone for 3-6 months without checking and never got below the top of the plates. however, it is best to check at least once every 3 months, more frequently if you notice them being low.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
TearlessTom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 1:39pm
Probably a silly question but I am at work and cant go check for myself for a few days.  

How often should I check the water in my batteries if left hooked to shore power when at home.???

I ask this because I had deep cycle batteries in my boat which unfortunately has been sitting for way too long due to engine issues.   I had them on the built in charger but all three of them were almost completely dry of water when I went to try to prepare it for use this spring ... 

Is it just evaporation or the constant charging that is drying th e batteries up.

regardless I now have 3 dead very expensive batteries and poss another on the camper .

Tearless Tom
2017 R-Pod 180
2014 Ford F-150 XLT 2WD 5.0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12