Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Dealer Reviews and Comments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed176T Modifications - removing tent? - Event Date: 01 Jul 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: 176T Modifications - removing tent?
    Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by PhoebeTheDog

Awesome!  Great thoughts.  I just wanted get other's opinions and thank you for yours.  Last q: Any ideas who to contact at Forrest River to verify how the current model is configured (i.e.tent and tent bed).   Also I was thinking it seems like a tent could need to be replaced so I figure there must be a relatively easy way to remove.    Sorry for so many questions!  Maybe this info is on this forum elsewhere
The search function is not always intuitive. For example, when you search, the default for results is posts six months old and newer. If you select the "Advanced Search" option, you can expand the search range to include older topics. This is handy to find information that may have been mentioned sometime in the past, but not within the past six months.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
PhoebeTheDog View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:47pm
ruh roh....

Thank you!
Christopher & Robin
2013 Honda Ridgeline
New 2020 R pod 176 owner!
Mill Valley, CA
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:51pm
Honestly, for what you seem to want, you might look at one of the smallest toy haulers. I have seen them down in the 19 foot length. The NoBo has a couple, they are made in the same facility, and by the same people, as R-Pod.. My wife and I have looked pretty hard at the 10.6

NoBo..

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2020 at 2:52pm
Hmm..interesting.  Will check them out
Christopher & Robin
2013 Honda Ridgeline
Mill Valley, CA
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 6:24am
If you want to tow with your Ridgeline then you'll need to stay with a trailer that is well under 5000 lbs fully loaded. This is where FR's (and the other manufacturer's) specs are very misleading. Their NoBo 19 series states "under 5000" but that is empty, no way you can safely tow one of those with your Honda. 

I have a Highlander, same tow rating as your Ridgeline, and my 179 weighs in at about 3800 fully (but carefully) loaded. I wouldn't tow anything heavier. Note that the 5000 lb ratings on the tow vehicles are with nothing else except a driver in them. 

The 176T falls within the Ridgeline's capabilites too, if you load carefully and don't try to take a ton of stuff with you in the truck. The 16 series Nobo's are heavier than the 176T so I doubt you'll be comfortable towing that with your current vehicle. 

There appear to be some 2020 176T's around so you should still be able to get one, and don't be afraid of getting a used travel trailer. So many of them are used only once or twice but long enough to get the workmanship bugs sorted out (TT's are notorious for workmanship issues), so for thousands less you can get an essentially new vehicle that's better than when it left the factory. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 1:35pm
Thanks and yes. The weight issue is the reason we like the rpods. The nobos are not what we are looking afor. Yes i did verify the 176 t’a are out of production but we are going to see a new one still at a lot near us, so i suspect that will answer a lot of our questions!
Christopher & Robin
2013 Honda Ridgeline
Mill Valley, CA
jato View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 8:24pm
Furpod,  Most impressive video setting up the r-dome.   I have been doing mine for almost 9 years and I guess i must move slower than you, my time is closer to 15 minutes.  Maybe I am taking 5 minutes to hook up the 6 suction cups, not!
God's pod
'11 model 177
'17 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost
Jim and Diane by beautiful Torch Lake
"...and you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free."
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 9:00am

Thanks and yes. The weight issue is the reason we like the rpods. The nobos are not what we are looking afor. Yes i did verify the 176 t’a are out of production but we are going to see a new one still at a lot near us, so i suspect that will answer a lot of our questions!

It sounds like you have thought this through. One thing to watch out for on the 176t is that the gray and fresh water tanks are behind the axle. As water is very heavy, that makes it easy to end up with too much weight in the rear of the trailer. That is very dangerous as the tongue weight winds up too low and you can get sway. especially with a light tow vehicle. I would be careful never to fill both the fresh water and gray water tank at the same time. And if you buy one, load it including water and get a tongue and total weight so you know what you have. Don't go below 10% on the tongue weight,. preferably higher. 

Do take a close look at whether you can slide the tent out of the keder rail and also how the bottom is hinged so you can remove that without having an unsightly mess.  If you don't want to make up a screen yourself my suggestion would be to find a company that makes up custom screens and windows for boats and see what their thoughts are.

Good luck and hope to see you back on the forum soon!
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 9:02am
Originally posted by offgrid

It sounds like you have thought this through. One thing to watch out for on the 176t is that the gray and fresh water tanks are behind the axle. As water is very heavy, that makes it easy to end up with too much weight in the rear of the trailer. That is very dangerous as the tongue weight winds up too low and you can get sway. especially with a light tow vehicle. I would be careful never to fill both the fresh water and gray water tank at the same time. And if you buy one, load it including water and get a tongue and total weight so you know what you have. Don't go below 10% on the tongue weight,. preferably higher. And get an antisway system.

Do take a close look at whether you can slide the tent out of the keder rail and also how the bottom is hinged so you can remove that without having an unsightly mess.  If you don't want to make up a screen yourself my suggestion would be to find a company that makes up custom screens and windows for boats and see what their thoughts are.

Good luck and hope to see you back on the forum soon!
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 3:41pm
Thank you!  We are now leaning towards a 176 not a 176T.  This is all good info!
Christopher & Robin
2013 Honda Ridgeline
Mill Valley, CA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12