R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2016 179 Kitchen cupboard access

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2016 179 Kitchen cupboard access
    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 4:54pm
Does anyone know where we can get a set of sliding shelf/drawer brackets that could be installed in the corner cupboards under the stove? With now having minor back mobility issues we find it very hard to access any items deep in those cupboards. We know these cupboards are large and provide great storage space, however, they have awkward shapes with some almost inaccessible areas, has anyone re-designed them to improve access? (We have minimized what we are able to store and reach, just hate to waste all that space!).
The current Covid19 situation has given us lots of time to plan and install other mods, a power tongue jack, an awning over the slide out, look at spare wheel/bike rack options, and back up cameras, to name a few. A big "thank you" to all you contributors, we have already found some very valuable information in these posts for our proposed projects. Stay well, stay healthy.
Rana
Stay well and stay healthy in these difficult times.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 6:40pm
I have seen some modifications that people have done. You may need to use the Advanced Search function to be able to expand the date range to find them. I use wooden crates to hold things under there, but with the 179, it is not the easiest thing to get to. The crates really help, but some sort of sliding shelf would be better.

I have thought that an outside hatch would be nice for getting access to the back part of that cabinet in our 179. I'm just not quite up to putting one in with the risk of leaks.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 9:16am
A couple owners have added a second door to that space, opening on the side or front, depending on how you think of the nomenclature.. But where there isn't a door now. Wink
At least one owner made a rotating tray, and a few owners have sort of gotten rid of the space by removing the cook top and adding a standard RV range.
It sounds to me like adding a second access point would get you just what you need.
Rana View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 12:31pm
Thanks so much for the replies. We'll try the extended search option. We had thought about putting a cupboard door in the front and moving the power outlet and fire extinguisher, however, it is still a long way to the back of the lower cupboard. The idea of an external door is interesting, would have to consult FR to see what is inside the frame! Please keep the ideas coming, in the meantime we'll keep searching.
Stay well, stay healthy.
Rana
Grandpa Hiker View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 4:09pm
Here is a link to drawers that one owner built. I would love to do this, but my woodworking skills are not what I wish they were!!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10205938532577052&set=oa.10153888283885808&type=3&theater

Rob & Becky
2014 Ford Explorer 3.5 SOHC V6
2015 R-179 Pod aka Piddle Pod

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
Rana View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 4:17pm
Hi Rob, thanks for the link. Please could you check it for me? I tried but the page could not be found.
Rana
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 7:34pm
If you are on Facebook, you could request access to the Facebook R-Pod Owners group there. It is a private group, so you will need to request access.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 4:36pm
Stephen,
Thanks for catching that. Yes, Rana will need to join the R Pod Facebook users group to see the link. 
Rob & Becky

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain!!"
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 5:59am
I tend to view that location as a bit of an attractive nuisance. Its really a big space but I don't want a lot of heavy stuff in there because its in the far rear of the trailer so is the worst place to load up.  Weight there will tend to overload the trailer frame and axle and reduce tongue weight too much. I just store light bulky items like TP and paper towels back in there which also makes them less painful to get at. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:55am
Offgrid,
I agree about putting lightweight stuff there. I also keep extra TP, paper towels, etc there. I also keep stuff that I rarely use such as rain gear, larger plastic bowls, etc. I have it all in two large plastic tubs ( one for the floor & one for the shelf) that I just slide out whenever I need something.  
Rob & Becky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>