R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHot water heater question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot water heater question
    Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 7:19pm
....but, but, the hot water heater heats the water in the hot water lines.  Shocked  So it's a water heater for the hot water side of the faucet, ergo, the hot water heater.  You wouldn't want the water heater heating the cold side or it'd be quite an unpleasant surprise.  Cry

Hot water heater is a regional idiomatic expression.  It's like the word almond, which is pronounced with the L [aLmond] south of Merced, CA, and without the L [aamond] Modesto, CA, and north.  [The in between space is no man's land where both are heard, resulting in bar fights.]  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 6:02pm
Offgrid  +1!!!
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 12:20pm
Lostagain is right on. I would add that another reason to leave the heater full for the camping season is that you want to get the air out of the water heater before turning it on. The heating element will burn out if its not immersed. 

BTW its not a hot water heater, its a cold water heater. If the water was already hot it wouldn't need heating. Sorry, just couldn't resist. Embarrassed
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2020 at 11:29am
hmmmmm, this looks oh so familiar. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 9:20pm
Unless you are in the winterizing bypass mode, your water heater tank will fill when you either attach city water or use the water pump.  It is best to bleed the air out of the tank, by turning on a hot water faucet until the flow is steady and free of air.  Once full, then it is safe to turn on the electric heating element or fire up the propane heater.   If you are unsure how to switch from the bypass mode, you should consult your manual or check with a local RV shop to help you out.  You can also check out the archives here and YouTub is full of helpful videos about how to work the winterizing bypass and hot water modes.

There is no reason not to leave your hot water tank full all the time when you're using the trailer.  You can turn the heating system off and on whenever you want hot water.  Just allow some heat up time before you jump into the shower.  Most people only drain the hot water tank when they winterize.

Good luck.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Medicine Wolf View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 9:05pm
I have a 2010 our pod 151. I haven’t really use the hot water heater so I had it turned off at the vowels. I recently decided to use it and turn on both the hot and cold hose is going into the hot water heater. I am confused on a few things. When I turn on the water pump does it fill up the hot water heater with 6 gallons instantly? I know I have to hit the button to heat the water. Should I always leave 6 gallons in there all the time since I am living out of my camper for a few months? Should I  Just use the cold water Spicket unless I am going to heat up the water first and then turn the hot Spicket on? Anything else I should be aware of?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123