This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime for Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Camping?
    Posted: 12 May 2020 at 5:29pm
+ 1 to StephenH.

As for trying to live where there aren't people who have an outsized sense of self entitlement, you'd probably have to find another planet.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 7:29pm
+2. The current situation seems to be enhancing the problems as it erodes the national consciousness and results in lack of confidence in government and trust in the experts we should be able to depend on. Citizens of many other countries seem to feel less entitled and more responsible to their communities, and as a consequence are doing better with Covid-19. New Zealand as an example. I had the opportunity to relocate there around 1990. Wonderful country but not mine so we didn't go. Oh well, it is what it is I guess. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:52am
TN state parks are opening to camping and I for one am super excited. Already booked a couple of trips. I think we can all be responsible and take care of others, while enjoying our outdoor lives!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 1:01pm
Camping with lots of distance between families is probably one of the safest places to start the long slow process of reopening.  In addition to acting responsibly vis-a-vi other campers, we also need to pay special attention to those who are working in the campgrounds for our benefit and leave the campsites and facilities in as clean or clearer condition than as we found them.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 6:21am
Even if the camping itself is dispersed there area a couple of areas where you will have more exposure (and be exposing others more) to Covid than if you're staying home. 

The first question I'll be asking is if the dump stations are open. Unless they are or you are going for a short trip and have a sewer connection at home (I don't) then it'll be a pretty short camping season Ouch
When at the dump station please do take extreme care and wear a mask (and of course gloves). There is a nasty thing called aerosolized feces. Check this article out:

Also it might be a good idea to come up with a footwear decontamination procedure for use when done at the dump station. Change shoes and use spray disinfectant maybe? 

Then there is the laundromat if you're going to be gone too long to just bring your clothes home and wash them there. Masks, distancing, wiping surfaces, frequent hand washing, and going at low traffic times are probably in order. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 8:52am
Full self containment was the plan we had for our now cancelled trip to the Merrill Campground in Lassen Ntl. Forest.  We were going to be fully independent, filling the water before we left and dumping at home where I have a sewer connection for the trailer.  Our only stop would be to buy gasoline.  But, alas, the campground remains closed until the Forest Service can snag PPE equipment for the campground employees.  The chief forester said that that may not happen until early June, in spite of the fact that the campgrounds are ready for guests.

The only practical trips for the time being are short 2 or 3 night stays that are close to home.  Dump stations give me the creeps because they are crawling with nasty bugs anyway and now can be worse.  Several posts back, I cautioned about aerosolized critters in toilets, suggesting that the smell you sense is the result of aerosolized molecular sized fecal matter landing on an olfactory receptor in your sinuses.  And OG's caution about laundromats being problematic is exactly right.  If you did one of those fancy black light paint transfer experiments in a laundromat you'd probably never want to go back to one.  Here's a little black light experiment that illustrates the issue:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGQEuuv9R6E

So, today, in an effort to lessen the horrible case of cabin fever we have, we're going to drive up to the Sierras for a nice walk in solitude and return before we have to pee.  We might even stop on the return at Big Box Hardware to get some stuff for my ongoing gardening projects.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2020 at 11:18am
I found this article has a good discussion of who is and who isn't likely to catch COVID-19. My take away is that you need to be in close contact with a carrier for a significant amount of time (like at least an hour, but don't take it as an absolute), and being in an enclosed area adds to that.

Being out doors with a carrier is probably not going to get you infected. And probably OK to "touch" things that might be carrying virus particles; just remember to wash/disinfect before you touch your eyes, nose, mouth, or something that will spread it around to others.

The article is behind a paywall, but I think the paper has lowered the wall for the duration of the pandemic (or for some time). If you can't access it, send me a PM or post here, and I will figure out a way to get it to others.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2020 at 7:03am
Starting hear some of the OHV trails are opening back up. I belong to an Overlanding group and areas are coming back to us for use! Happy days!

I'm heading out on Tuesday to confirm some local ones to report to my local chapter. Our WMNF's are due to open in the next 2 weeks (as typical). No word of services as of yet (i.e. bathhouses, visitor centers..).

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 3:47pm
Canada has extended the closed border stance until end of June now. From what I'm gathering from local sources, I'm still not expecting to travel up there until end of August... 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 4:21pm
Canada has been a bit more successful in controlling SARS-CV-2 than here in the US.  We have about 4,793 cases per 1M and 286 deaths per 1M, while they have 2,125 per 1M and 160 deaths per 1M.  I wouldn't expect them to open tourism until well after they get a handle on the situation as fall arrives.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>