This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime for Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Camping?
    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:29am
So what is everyone's plans for getting back to camping? I have already cancelled a trip back in early April. Next scheduled trip is Mem Day weekend, and damn it, I am ready to start living and camping again! So we are going!
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 8:55am
Our big trip to Alaska that we had hoped to start next month is postponed until next year. We still hope to go visit our daughters and grandchildren, but whether that will be this summer is unknown because we will have rescheduled appointments and other prior commitments to schedule around. We will get in some camping. Right now, I have no idea where or when though.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:03am
We had originally a big trip to Glacier, that is off... but we are planning many small weekend and local camping trips... I am going to live...
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:25am
I’d love nothing better than to go camping, but we are nowhere near out of the woods on this pandemic. Unless (1) travel is approved, (2) parks are officially open, and (3) I can find an isolated dispersed campsite within a couple hours drive, we’re staying home for now. I will continue to do my part to try to control this, including following all rules in place in the states we’d be travelling in. Too much risk for my wife from this, and especially for my elderly father when we return home. Most ppl infected probably never even know they have this, but can still spread it. If all the above conditions are met though we’ll go, the risk at a boondocks campsite would be about the same as in our suburban home I think, just gas stops and groceries.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 9:27am
Currently, Okanagan Wenatchee  National Forest land is open to dispersed camping.  Developed recreation sites are closed.  I grew up hiking and camping and worked in the forest so know some "Secret" out of the way areas.  keeping finger's crossed. 
2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:04am
Some dispersed camping in the Appalachian national forests is open too, but none of it is really all that “secret”, and lots of those spots are being occupied, so it would be hit or miss. You’re supposed to pack out your own trash in those areas of course but unfortunately a lot of folks don’t, and the forest service has to clean up after them. They’re not doing that right now so I’m being told a lot of areas are pretty trashed up,
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 10:41am
We have reservations for May 15-18 in a campground north of Susanville, CA in the Lassen National Forest that I made last January.  So far recreation.gov reservations for May are not cancellable without a penalty.  I checked the reservation site to see if there were a lot of other campers scheduled to be there and it's practically empty until near Memorial Day.  Per the quarantine order in CA the campground is closed at the present time.  I guess we'll have to wait until the last minute to see if it is going to be open, but it is pretty unlikely.  Two more reservations for June closer to home are also pretty iffy.  

I'm getting a really bad case of cabin fever, but the last thing I want to do is risk getting SARS-CoV-2 or giving it to someone else.  So, I'll follow the recommendations of the qualified epidemiologists.  

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 11:02am
I personally think camping would be a safe activity. It's not an airborne transmitted disease. Anywhere I camp has more than 6 feet between sites. If I wander off site I would take the basic precautions, Mask, gloves, distance. I personally never use the campground facilities, so I could easily stay contained. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 11:09am
I'm sure recreation.gov is going to refund you if you can't go. You and they just don't know that yet so you'll have to be patient. The same thing is happening in the vacation real estate business right now, I listen to my wife all day on the phone trying to placate customers who have dropped 10-15K on a big beach house rental and don't know if they can go or not so want to make other plans and get their money back. Not fun, but at least she's employed and has insurance, so she's not complaining. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 11:15am
We had reservations for Pinnacles on May 10. Yesterday they extended our shelter-in-place through the end of May, so I think we need to cancel those reservations. The park is closed through the end of April right now, but I think they will have to extend that.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>