This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime for Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Camping?
    Posted: 26 May 2020 at 12:24pm
All, we just went over 100,000 deaths from Covid19 in the US. So, knowing that everyone is champing at the bit to get out, now is not a good time to relax vigilance and rely on magical thinking. Infection rates will inevitably rise in some areas as restrictions come off, so please please be careful out there...
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 12:56pm
Thanks Offgrid, I've been watching the toll too. Its just awful. No magical thinking here.

I am about to head out from Florida to be with my 88 year old mom in Maine (as I do twice a year). I've been working from home and going out (masked/gloved) only for groceries. 

I will bring with me everything I need (with the singular exception of gas, followed by hand-washing and sanitizing) and have reserved spaces for overnight parking through boondockers welcome where we already have agreement to have no contact. When I arrive in Maine there is 14 day self-quarantine rule that I will abide by.

I'm really happy to have the rpod because otherwise there would be no safe way to see mom (I sure wouldn't fly and I wouldn't stay at hotels). I have to confess though, even with the limitations I am looking forward to the trip and the time in the camper.
Julie
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 1:22pm
Sounds like you have the bases covered. The boondockers welcome concept is a good one. Have a great trip. 

I have to go to Hawaii to work on my 95 year old Dad's former house so it can be sold (I brought him back to the mainland last year when he became too old and ill to live over there anymore) and can't go due to the 14 days of stay at home quarantine restrictions in place for HI visitors, not to mention the risk in the 12 hours of plane rides.  They are arresting visitors in Hi for violating the restrictions and sending them back to the mainland, no way to even get any food or supplies, and you can't tow an rPod to Hawaii.... Just have to wait it out. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 1:52pm
Yeah, getting to Hawaii a lot harder than getting to Maine. 

I think enforcement of the Maine quarantine order is an honor system but I will honor it.  I plan to stop before the state line a restock on food (since I don't want mom going to the store for me). Otherwise it'll be a couple of weeks of what I'm doing in Fl. NBD really; consider myself fortunate.

I hope your dad is ok; glad he's not still over there. Having a distance aging parent is hard under these circumstances, at least for me.
Julie
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 4:06pm
I'm very disappointed now. I went to a bass pro shop in new hampshire yesterday to get some pepper gel for my daughters work (She is a water shed ranger) And I was appalled at the lack of masks and distancing.  Maybe 25 percent had masks. To make things even better, only 2 registers were open, right beside each other. I was inline surrounded by unmasked people. I think they were using the metric 6 Millimeter distance rule. If I didnt need to get that stuff, I would have left. A vaccine for covid will not work. We need a vaccine for ignorance, lack of respect toward others, and selfishness. I hope we can get it soon. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 6:07pm
We live in a world of spoilt children who are incapable of acting like responsible adults.  Personally, I detest wearing a mask.  It's uncomfortable and hot, especially now that summer is here, but I do it anyway; not so much to protect me, but to keep me from spreading a virus I may carry unknowingly.  If we all followed the "Golden Rule," we'd recover from this nightmare faster both in our health and economically.  But with adults acting like babies, we're in for a long and drawn out battle with this disease.  

mjlrpod, I sympathize with your frustration.  I see the same thing when here we have to go into town for supplies.  Other countries have beaten back this virus through acting like adults.  We should be able to do it too.  Yes, a vaccine for ignorance and selfishness is really what is needed.  

The sooner we all act responsibly, the sooner we can all be working and camping again.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 6:30pm
+2 to both mjlrpod and lostagain. While we have all different political leanings I expect we can agree that ppl acting like spoilt entitled children is a problem that we need to face as a nation and civilization in order to be successful and prosper. Countries where the citizens feel responsible for and to each other are beating this virus back most successfully. Sadly, a vaccine for such things does not and will never exist. Its a learned behavior and something that will probably take more adversity than we have faced for a couple of generations to change. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 6:36pm
State parks in North Carolina just reopened for camping over Memorial Day weekend. We did not know in time to get out to the one nearest us. The sites are large and well separated. I would feel very comfortable going there. OTOH, there are some places I have been that I would not want to go anywhere near since the sites are so close that one can practically touch the neighbor's RV. We will try to get out for a camping trip once my wife's 2nd cataract surgery is done and we get caught up on deferred medical and dental appointments.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 7:23pm
+1 on the deferred dental. I lost a filling about 6 weeks ago and will finally get seen by my dentist next week. Its been driving me crazy....
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2020 at 5:01pm
We just got back from camping 2 nights At Merchant's Mill Pond State Park in NC.  The NC Parks just opened up this past weekend and we immediately got resrvations.We specifically picked a Tue/Wed /Thurs time period because we thought there would be less people-there were 2 other sites occupied in a 20 site campground. the rangers said they were cleaning bathrooms twice a day-we went in one and it was freshly painted and appeared spotless. Still glad we could use our own bathroom in the Pod.
We canoed on the millpond and there was no one else in sight on the pond or in the parking lot. The visitor center was closed and there were no ranger led activities .
We stopped for gas once-used an auto pay pump and did not go inside. We carried enough water(5+/- gallons) to use the Rpod toilet when we wanted to as we traveled.
Overall, it was a great first post-covid outing-it felt totally safe and we were happy to get away.
However, all of the above being positive, it is still very important to protect yourself and the people around you-wear a mask, use hand sanitizer and stay socially distant.
Be careful, but still try to have fun
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>