Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime for Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Camping?
    Posted: 28 May 2020 at 5:39pm
Congratulations on a successful trip. I did not even know that the park existed. It looks like a place we may visit some day.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 12:03pm
Yet another reservation cancelled due to campground closures.  We were all set to head out to Hope Valley Campground, CA, for our reserved three day trip, then came the infamous notification of cancellation from Reservations.gov.  At least we got a full refund without a hassle this time.  

Made new reservations for Merrill Campground at Eagle Lake, CA, [where we had an earlier reservation cancelled] starting June 15th.  They are currently open and we were able to grab one of the last full hookup sites.  Hopefully, things won't take a turn for the worse with new closures.  Finally, with a box of homemade masks, we're ready to go.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 2:11pm
We camped at a couple of TN state parks last weekend and felt totally fine... They seem to have made very good adjustments to the bathrooms and were spotless. Signs all over the place about distancing, overall we were very happy to get out and get some fresh air. And people in the campground were very respectful of one another.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 2:22pm
Massachusetts state parks cancelled all 2020 reservations. They are not allowing any picnic, or pavillion areas this whole summer from what they said. All camping reservations are cancelled will need to be rebooked starting june 22. They will be limiting the available sites. IF you manage to get one of the fewer sites, you will not be allowed visitors. This is ridiculous, with the crap going on across the country, they gotta get tuff with campers just trying to enjoy the outdoors. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

Massachusetts state parks cancelled all 2020 reservations. They are not allowing any picnic, or pavillion areas this whole summer from what they said. All camping reservations are cancelled will need to be rebooked starting june 22. They will be limiting the available sites. IF you manage to get one of the fewer sites, you will not be allowed visitors. This is ridiculous, with the crap going on across the country, they gotta get tuff with campers just trying to enjoy the outdoors. 

Hear ya! I was hoping to grab an overnight at Salisbury to catch both tides surf-casting. Still now, I'm looking for parking lots to open... As far as I know, all points Plum to Ipswich are closed for parking. The mid-size are entering the river (Ipswich and Merrimack) and I'm itching to get out there!

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:49pm
I just had a great experience traveling from Florida to Maine using Boondockers Welcome. There are spots within ten miles of Salisbury (I didn't stay at any of them).
Julie
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:58pm
Your frustration, mjlrpod, palpable and is very understandable.  Most of us share it.  Speaking for myself, we've had two trips cancelled by reservation.com to date and both only a day or two before we were supposed to leave.

But that being said, from what we've seen in pictures taken at outdoor resorts, there are a lot of people who are not using common sense considering how the SARS-CoV-2 virus spreads.  I can't believe the number of people who don't bother with masks at the grocery store, much less trying to keep 6' of distance with their snot dripping kids coughing away in tow.  Mother Nature will deal with them in her own time and way.  

Responsible camping, it sees to me, can be done, especially where there are large camp sites with lots of room between them, but those who don't use common sense create conditions where public health officials must respond with more extreme actions.  

The cancellations have to be frustrating too, but at least you know that everyone hast to start over on June 22nd, rather than finding that your camping plans have been cancelled as you were packing to leave and had already purchased supplies for your trip, as happened to us with recreation.gov.  The state and federal camping reservation systems are truly overwhelmed and have no experience with managing this kind of situation, so they inevitably are making decisions that can't please us all.

Mass. has the 4th highest death rate in the country so far, with nearly 7,300 fatalities, 24 today as of this post.  I doubt their health officials are singling out campers to be tough with them, as opposed to other groups and activities.  They are probably doing the best they can with skeleton crews, working remotely.    Maybe you should cut the public health officials a little slack.  
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 8:20pm
We just got back from 4 days at Merrill Campground at Eagle Lake, CA (about 1/2 hour north of Susanville).  The campground was superb.  The Forest Service designers did a first class job in the reconstruction of this campground a few years back.  The campsites are spacious and well separated from the adjoining ones.  About 1/3rd of the sites are full hookup, another 1/3rd have electricity and water, and the final third are standard Forest Service issue.  The campground is clean and very well maintained.  There's lots of hiking and boating activities available as well as some good bike trails.  The campground is flat and the trail around the lake that we tried was perfect for an easy bike ride or walk.

As for getting there, our F-150 did fine.  It's nicely balanced with the weight of the trailer and has plenty of power.  The only issue with the 2.7 ecoboost, as was discussed earlier, is that there is not a heck of a lot of engine breaking available, so we just put it in a low gear down the long curvy down grades and went slowly so we didn't have to use the brakes much.  Gas mileage, according to the onboard computer was 14.9 mpg for the round trip.  

It was sure nice to get out of the house.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 5:08am
LA, glad you finally were able to get out. Here in VA campgrounds opened yesterday so we're hoping try a little FS campground I've had my eye on since we moved to SW VA last winter. Its less than an hour away so should be an easy one. 

Re the engine braking,  that was an interesting point podwerks raised. Was it really noticeably harder to slow down with the 2.7 than with your older rig? Your rig is heavier as well so that would impact it. 

Engine braking is just the engine pumping air creating a vacuum against a closed throttle valve, so I think it should be proportional to the product of displacement x rpm x compression ratio. I have 3.5 liters for about 8500 lb rig weight, so about 2500 lbs per liter. I rarely need to use my friction brakes, only on slow windy roads where I'm not getting much braking action from air drag.  I'm guessing you'll be maybe 3500 lbs/liter. Our compression ratios are pretty much the same. So, as you say, bumping your rpm up maybe by around 40% by selecting a lower gear would compensate. You might get some additional help due to exhaust back pressure from the turbo, not sure. 

None of this applies to diesels, which don't have throttle valves for the engines to create a vacuum against. Hence the need for compression release (aka Jake) braking in diesel trucks, which is a whole different (and noisy) thing. 

I might have this all wrong. podwerks, please step in here and give us an expert's observations. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 8:33am
The nice thing about the full hookup Forest Service camp ground is that we were able to stay fully self contained, and didn't need to use the public facilities for anything but the water hose, drain, and electric connections and were not right next to our neighbor, unlike the typical rv park.  So, "social distancing" was easy.  Lots of friendly waves, but no close conversations.  There was even an R-Pod parked near us.  I talked with the owner for a second and told him about the forum.

There was a little difference between the 4.7 V-8 and the 2.7 ecoboost in engine braking, but it really wasn't an issue.  We had a few long and curvy descents and just put the engine in a low gear and let it rev fast.  The V-8 gave a little more braking resistance but was very noisy.  With the ecoboost, when the rpm was high it was much quieter and an occasional tap on the brake was all that was needed.  We had a 6% grade with a couple sharp curves going into Susanville and had no problem keeping the speed under control without using the brake (2nd and 1st).  The key is to never let the speed go up enough to require hard braking if you can.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>