This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime for Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 18>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Camping?
    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 12:17pm
Our tow vehicle is a 2012 Ford Expedition EL. It has engine braking when in the “Tow-Haul” mode . when you touch the brake pedal, the transmission sets that speed as the max level and will downshift as necessary o maintain the set speed. I just checked our owner’s manual to be sure. It says that engine braking is available in all forward gears when the transmission is in overdrive and tow/haul selected.
We use this feature Always when towing.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 12:18pm
Our tow vehicle is a 2012 Ford Expedition EL. It has engine braking when in the “Tow-Haul” mode . when you touch the brake pedal, the transmission sets that speed as the max level and will downshift as necessary o maintain the set speed. I just checked our owner’s manual to be sure. It says that engine braking is available in all forward gears when the transmission is in overdrive and tow/haul selected.
We use this feature Always when towing.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 1:12pm
Even though the Escape did not have a specific "Tow/Haul" mode, it did much the same when going downhill. On steep inclines, it still required some braking, but not as much as the Frontier which does not have such a feature. I usually do turn off overdrive in the mountains and downshift as needed to help keep the speed down, braking when necessary.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Pod People

Our tow vehicle is a 2012 Ford Expedition EL. It has engine braking when in the “Tow-Haul” mode .

Yes that is a typical setup on these vehicles....but that is type of 'passive' engine braking. IF the engine is big enough and/or the load mass or weight is low enough, and the grade is shallow enough, then that is all you need to maintain a safe speed down the hill, hardly touching the service brake pedal at all. This keeps those friction brakes nice and cool, and ready when needed to make an actual stop if needed, such as when pulling off the road into a rest area or slowing to make a sharp turn, or avoiding something on the road, traffic, obstacles, fallen rocks on the road, whatever.

The throttle plate closes and air flow thru the engine is restricted, which tends to retard engine RPM thru a 'vacuum effect'...sort've.

Active engine braking requires extra hardware and software to actively control or restrict engine airflow into and out of the cylinders or out the exhaust stream.

Since these small engines are getting even smaller, I'd like to see some kind of active engine braking, beyond the effect of simple throttle plate closure with fuel shut-off, along with forced downshifting on a downgrade.

But thats just me.

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 3:00pm
Active downshifting was what I was trying to describe with the Escape. The Frontier lacks that.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:07pm
As Ford refines the Ecoboost engine line, it is likely that they, or some clever after market automotive engineer, will develop some kind of active engine braking system.  But for now, being aware that there is less engine braking potential on a small displacement engine and controlling one's descent speed as much as possible is all that is available.  

On my recent trip, I actively shifted down, at times even going into 1st gear.  At no time did I feel that I was getting on the ragged edge of going too fast down hill.  There was no one behind me most of the time so it didn't matter how slowly I went.  And, when I had folks behind me, I just pulled over to let them pass.  

I have to say, there are some descents I'd like to avoid in the Sierra Nevada mountains, but I avoided those with the 4.7L V-8 Dakota too.  The difference in engine braking, based on my experience, not qualitatively different.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by podwerkz

Since these small engines are getting even smaller, I'd like to see some kind of active engine braking, beyond the effect of simple throttle plate closure with fuel shut-off, along with forced downshifting on a downgrade.

But thats just me.

I know diesels do stuff with valve timing for engine braking but they don't have throttle valves.  Are there any gasoline vehicles that do more than just downshifting and pumping against closed throttle valves? I wonder if there really is any better way to do it in a gasser?  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:01pm
If there were, it probably would have been brought into use as it would be a good safety feature.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:25pm
Maybe they'll cut a hole in the floor where you can put your foot down onto the pavement and drag your heel.  Need some pretty good boots for that.  Confused  I like Double H, made in PA.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:55pm
Yabba dabba doo!
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold