Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime for Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
Author
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Camping?
    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:56pm
No hole in the floor, but maybe a drogue chute mounted to the back of the 'Pod for those steep downhill descents.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 9:02pm
Or a big amplifier and loudspeaker playing the sound of a LOUD jake brake!

daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa daa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 9:05pm
Yeah I dont think it will happen, but it needs to happen...the various light truck diesels offer an exhaust brake, and that could probably be used on a gas engine, I assume.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 7:47am
I did a little research on engine braking. In all cases the ICE is acting as an air pump. The energy being consumed will be proportional to the volume of air x the pressure differential, just like any other pump. So that makes total energy consumed proportional to rpm x displacement x pressure diff. 

You can think of gas engine braking as the engine acting as a vacuum pump trying to suck air past the closed throttle, so the pressure differential is between vacuum on the intake side and atmospheric pressure on the exhaust side, which is about 15 psi at sea level. 

On a diesel with no jake or exhaust braking system there is no significant pressure differential between the intake and exhaust sides so no engine braking. Add a jacobs system and now its pumping against the compressed air in the cylinders up to the top of the compression stroke, which is then released by the exhaust valves opening. So the pressure diff can be what the cylinders and heads can stand.

On a diesel with exhaust braking a butterfly valve is typically added downstream of the turbo, kind like a throttle valve in reverse.  so now the engine is pumping against the pressure the valve is creating in the exhaust system. So the pressure diff can be what the exhaust system can stand.

Check out this video to see how all 3 systems work:

Notice that the gasoline engine brake system can only produce around 15psi pressure differential, while the diesel ones can produce more. In fact, either jake or exhaust brake systems can absorb power close to or higher than the hp rating of the engine itself. Why not even more? Because the engine internal components aren't designed for that. You'd break your crankshaft or con rods.

I couldn't find a reference but I would assume that the engine braking available in a normally aspirated gas engine could also be fairly close to its power rating. But in a gas turbo its going to be significantly less than that.

And podwerks you're right, there isn't any reason you couldn't add a jake or exhaust brake system to a a gasoline turbo and get more engine braking. No reason except cost and weight that is....Wink.

The good news for us rpodders is that we really don't need that much engine braking in most situations because of the big parachute we're dragging around. Say you have a typical 8000 lb rig and you're driving down a highway with a 10% grade at 60 mph. You'll need to dissipate power at a rate of roughly 120hp. You'll already be losing about 40 hp from air drag and rolling resistance so the engine has to consume another 80 hp. Even the 2.7 liter engine ought to be able to do that I think. Now if you were hauling 9000 lbs of steel (the tow rating of the 2020 f150 2.7 ecoboost) on a low profile utility trailer you'd need to disspate more like 120-140 hp at 60mph. I'd be taking that hill at more like 30 mph in as low a gear as possible I think. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 8:47am
So it appears that the descent issue for small displacement engines is really one that comes up in steep descents on curvy mountain roads where one cannot take advantage of the wind resistance of the trailer.  It's not a long freeway descent, but the narrow steep mountain road where you don't want to be going over 15 or 20.  Even a naturally aspirated gas engine is not all that helpful in that circumstance.  

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 10:43am
Let's stick with our 10% grade and assume you're in neutral for a moment, no engine braking. The rig will in theory continue to accelerate until air drag (which is going up with speed faster than the potential energy is being released) is high enough that the combination of rolling resistance and drag equals potential energy release. For our 8000 lb pod rig that's going to be around 120 mph. For a loaded tractor trailer its higher because air drag is proportionally less compared to the weight for those. In practice you'll be blowing a tire or worse before you get to 120 mph, but that's a different story.

What speed requires the most engine or friction braking to maintain? Looks like right around 70 mph for our rpod scenario. Braking requirement is about the same at 45 and 90 for example. So I guess its bad to take the grade at 70 if you don't have enough engine braking capacity. 

So say you ran out of engine braking and you're at 70 and still accelerating, but you haven't cooked off your friction brakes yet. You have a choice, either speed up to 90 or slow down to 45. As Dirty Harry would ask, are you feeling lucky? LOL

If its still a 10% grade but you're only going 15 mph then you're only trying to get rid of 1/4 the energy you would at 60, so only 40hp or so. You won't be  getting any help from air drag at all so that will pretty much all need to come from engine braking. 40 hp isn't much, so Keep the rpm up and it shouldn't be a problem. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 1:01pm
Ah grasshoppahs!

I've apparently planted a seed about engine braking...you guys are learning things that mere mortals (non-CDL holders) have generally not been allowed to learn about.

Or they dont care. Either way.

Next up on the r-pod learning channel: engine braking laws, (not engines breaking laws!) 

And the 'No Jake Braking' signs we see everywhere and how they are totally illegal and un-enforceable, yet they are enforced, and how does that happen? If you know about the 'noise-off' people without googling that, you get credit for an entire chapter!

Also later on in the curriculum we might get into how websites, even ones put together by smart people, get so many 'facts' about trucks and trucking...WRONG. Very wrong. 

But, its summer break and I have things to do...here at the station, me and the pooch have adopted a stray, mistreated, and injured kitten we are hoping to bring back to full health.

Life is complicated, and then just when you think you have it figured out, a wounded stray animal shows up on your porch with no where to go.

Onward and upward....building up 'karma' points to make up for a few I lost in my younger days.

Wink

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 2:02pm
There's an old Peter Bogdanovitch movie with Michael Caine called "Noises Off" but that's all I know. 

Us physics nerds don't let petty rules stand in our way of learning obscure stuff no normal person would care about..

Next up is to estimate how hot friction brakes would get on a 5000 ft descent at 60 mph towing an rpod with no engine braking. Anyone want to take a guess? 

Be sure not to activate those jake brakes around the kitty cats, might scare 'em into having seizures.,,,
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 6:05pm
Descending 5000 ft over 100 miles? Not warm enough to be a problem, me thinks.

5000 feet down lets say, 10 miles? Which if my math is right that is close to a 10% grade...well you better have made sure that you have a guardian angel that can fly fast!
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 6:33pm
Yeah, same 10% grade. 

We need to get rid of 80hp to maintain 60 mph. And we need to do that for about 10 minutes. 1 hp = about 2500 btu/hr so we will create 2500*80*10/60= about 30,000 btu. That BTU is going into about 100 lbs of steel in the form of brake discs and drums in the rig. The specific heat of steel is 0.12 btu/(lb-F) so the brakes will heat up by about 2500 degrees F. 

Of course, they wouldn't really heat up that much because (1) the hotter the brakes  get the more heat they will dissipate to the air and (2) they will quit doing anything to slow down the rig way before they get to 2500 degrees. 

Interestingly, the melting point of steel is also about 2500 degrees. So you can relax and not worry about literally melting your brakes as you go careening to your death. Dead

Moral of the story is ya gotta have engine braking on long downhill grades...
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>