This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime for Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Camping?
    Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 8:55am
Regarding grades, this link might be of interest:

Maximum Grades on Colorado Mountain Passes

Also, for those of you that have careened down the west side of Floyd Hill on I-70, that's a 6% grade and about the steepest that I can recall encountering on an interstate.  Some of the grades approaching the Eisenhower Tunnel are also in that range.  I'd be interested in knowing if there are any steeper grades on any interstate.

Turns out there are.

Found this thread:

2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 9:20am
The Conejo Grade has a 7% gradient for 5 miles with 12 curves.  U.S. Route 101, is a California state freeway/highway and is not part of the interstate system.  Generally, the CA freeways are built to interstate standards, but this road has some historical topographic issues that make reducing the grade to 6% impractical from a cost point of view.  It would require realignment and rerouting of the highway at a prohibitive cost.

I've driven that descent with our Pod and Dakota and it was not a problem.  I followed the truck speed limits and had no issues with keeping my speed under control.  In comparing my new TV and trailer to the old rig, there is really no significant difference in traveling down steep grades, at least based upon my experience.  It just requires patience and common sense. 
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 9:52am
Steep highways are by no means limited to the west half of the country. I-64 in WV east of Beckley has about a 7 mile grade posted at 7%. The two lane us highway system in wv has many grades at 8-9%. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 10:15am
Originally posted by offgrid

Steep highways are by no means limited to the west half of the country. I-64 in WV east of Beckley has about a 7 mile grade posted at 7%. The two lane us highway system in wv has many grades at 8-9%. 

When I moved for a time to eastern Kansas from Denver I found that some of the hills that I would cycle up were steeper than any that I encountered in Colorado.  Shorter, yes, but steep as &%#$.  Same was true in upstate NY (where I grew up), now that I think about it.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by StephenH

Our Frontier, being 4WD, can be switched to 4WD low range if really needed to help hold the speed down. So far, over multiple thousand miles of towing, it has not been needed.

Sorry, that's not gonna work on a highway or paved road where you are already in motion down a steep grade.

You have to stop completely to switch to 4-LO range, and you are limited to probably 20 to 30 mph or so.

Plus it will be in 4WD which is not to be used on dry pavement.

LO range can sometimes be used to control your descent speed on a steep downhill gravel or loose dirt road (or other slippery surface like wet grass, wet leaves on a hardpack muddy road, etc) to around 2-10 mph on a gravel or otherwise slippery surface, where 4WD can be used, but remember to back off on the trailer brake gain. 

Of course, if you have pushbutton hill descent control, that would be the time to use it!
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 11:23am
When people start talking about steep grades, one of the first ones that comes to mind is "Old Priest Grade". It's considered "brutally steep" at 20% grade. When we go to Yosemite, we sometimes take that route on the way up, but we won't come down it trailer or not.

Even today, when coming down "New" Priest Grade, we approach the intersection at the bottom with great caution. More often than not, we find someone at the bottom with smoking brakes.

bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 1:06pm
Clearly, some descents should be avoided when towing.  In all likelihood, there is an alternative route.  If not, then it is, like many Forest Service roads, simply impassible for certain vehicles, including travel trailers.  If you want to go there, you may need to ride a horse or walk.

The problem with many automatic transmissions is that even though they may have 5 - 6 speeds, the shift lever has 3 positions and when descending in even the lowest position, the transmission keeps shifting into the highest gear for that position.  So when you want to stay in 1st or 3rd, it keeps going to the next highest gear and tanking your engine braking dreams.  That's one of the things I like about the newer automatic transmissions, they give you a "manual" mode where you can select the gear and keep it there.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 3:30pm
The only thing about the manual or sport modes in the auitomatics is that they won't allow a downshift that over revs the engine. So you better get it in the gear you want before your brakes fail, otherwise you're dead. With manual trannys you can jam it in there if you have to, I had to do that once with an old CalFire water truck when its brakes failed on a Graham Hill Rd (a brake line blew out) in Felton CA. I limped back to the park maintenance yard, the engine was toast but I was alive so its all good. I wasn't interested in ever getting back in that old '38 Dodge anyway.  Thumbs Down

I pretty much have been able to go anywhere I've wanted to towing the rpod. If its a rough-ish forest service road I just crawl along at 1-2 mph. If its steep I descend in first using hill descent. There's no rush.  It helps to do those runs early in the morning so you're not feeling like you're holding folks up. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by lostagain

Clearly, some descents should be avoided when towing.  In all likelihood, there is an alternative route.  If not, then it is, like many Forest Service roads, simply impassible for certain vehicles, including travel trailers.  If you want to go there, you may need to ride a horse or walk.

Dang I was gonna have my r-pod airlifted to the top of Mt Evans and tow it down behind a little Smart Car. 

Engine braking? We dont need no stinkin' engine braking!

r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 8:16pm
You can't alway get what you want.  
        Rolling Stones "Let it Bleed" 1968.

I went to their first concert in Bakersfield, CA in 1966.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 15161718>