This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime for Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Camping?
    Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 11:41am
I saw where the "shelter-in-place" order was extended for the six Bay Area counties, but haven't seen anything about Lassen County.  

Pinnacles is a wonderful place to visit.  I went there many years ago and am anxious to return some day.  In fact, I was scheming on it for late fall after the rains (if they come) reduce the fire danger.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 12:12pm
My wife and I are not high risk and here in TN the restrictions are coming off.... I am willing to take some risk and get out and do things... Nothing stupid, but I don't see camping as high risk.
crankster78 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:16am
Greetings:
I'm lucky enough to own a family cottage on a lake only 8 miles away (purchased in 1946 and much improved).
I park the pod out there to sleep in and use the cottage kitchen and bathroom.  Hopefully, the State parks will open soon for camping.  

Crankster78  (80 in May)
Crankster 78 R-179 2015
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:31am
Lucky your vacation place is close by. All the folks with second homes on the Outer Banks have been restricted from access, permanent residents only. Since a lot of them live full time in the big cities many have been desperate to get away. It makes sense though, medical services in those beach areas are practically nonexistent so if any of the owners showed up with Covid it would be a disaster. They will be opening up slowly for non resident owners in alphabetical order starting May 4. Still no dates set for renters or for the national seashore. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 9:09am
In salisbury Mass, the city has ordered the water turned off, or not allowed to turn on, to any Non permanent residents homes. Luckily I don't own a summer home on the beach, cause I'd probably be in jail. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 12:27pm
I am all for not making people uncomfortable, but to completely isolate oneself from everything imaginable is, in my opinion, ithe best way to absolutely ruin your immune system.  We are built to exchange information with nature in order to maintain a strong immune system.  Once we upset that balance arent we asking for trouble?? ..... Isolate the sick people, not the healthy people,,,,,,,,,We are no different from any other creature on earth..........I think????.....Too simple???
Swampfox
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 2:17pm
Ummm, first, that's not how your immune system works. 

To fight off a new virus which humans have never seen before (which Covid is) you have to survive an exposure to it. In the process of doing that, you body develops antibodies (proteins) which are specifically "customized" to destroy that virus. This can either be from the disease itself or from a vaccine, if and when we get one. The genetic code to create those antibodies is retained and next time you are exposed your immune system can trigger the rapid generation and deployment of those antibodies. Just spending time outside in nature doesn't do anything to create those specific "custom" proteins. 

So right now, only the relatively few ppl who have gotten the virus have developed the capability to fight this off. Its too soon to tell how long that immunity might last, it might be a long time or not be long at all.

Second, just isolating the sick people doesn't work. Why? Because the disease is highly communicable and you don't have to be sick to infect someone else. Also, many people, maybe most, don't ever have major symptoms, but they can still infect someone else. So, when this first broke out they tried isolating the sick and it spread rapidly anyway, we just didn't know it for awhile. 

If you start very early in an outbreak, have a small number of cases, and can aggressively find and isolate all of those and all the people (sick or not) who were in contact with those people,  and everyone else follows reasonable social distancing and wears masks, then you can avoid the rapid spread and mass lockdowns that we've been experiencing. South Korea for example did exactly that, and its been working pretty well for them so far. 

But if you're not on top of it from day one and its already spread widely in the community, then you wind up where we and many other countries are, which is big lockdowns to slow the spread down enough mainly so you don't totally overwhelm your medical system. If you don't do that the death rate, which can be pretty low, spikes because you don't have the medical staff or equipment you need for everyone. That's what happened in Italy, Spain, and New York as examples. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod_Geek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 2:28pm
Ok, so we're going to join another couple (our regular camping partners), their small Class C, and their dog on a three-day foray over Memorial Day weekend to a very small RV park in northern NM that at present only allows five RVs (they have space for about 20).  They have been isolating even more than we have...he actually gave up tennis for the time being.  Never thought that would happen.  Still, I imagine we'll keep our distance unless we form a pact to not go out at all in the 14 days prior.  We shall see how it all works out.  Looking forward to finding out if my compressed-air rewinterizing after a trip to the Las Vegas area in February worked or if the R-Pod now leaks like a sieve.
2020.5 R-Pod 195 Hood River
2018 RAM 2500 6.4L
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 2:55pm
I just read that the preliminary antibody testing they're doing suggests that the real infection rate is about 12 times the official rate.  I know two people who have had/still have it; one in her 40's and one in her 70's.  The 40 year old never actually saw a doctor, was never tested, and thankfully has recovered.  The 70 year old has been diagnosed based on symptoms by several doctors, but twice has has a false negative with the throat swab tests.  Thankfully, she is also well on the road to recovery.  In neither instance are these two individuals counted as infected per the official data.  

We really have no clear count on actual infection rates.  I also read this morning that in one state, the death certificates are no longer listing probable cause of death, thus skewing the data and underreporting the infection mortality.  

We also have to understand that some viruses don't necessarily confer immunity once you have recovered from an infection.  One example is dengue, a hemorrhagic fever, in which the second infection is far more dangerous than the first.  We are getting mixed information about whether SARS-CoV-2 confers immunity.  This complicates the development of a vaccine.

We contacted the Lassen Ranger District about our upcoming reservations and they are saying that they will follow state practices, so if CA keeps the campgrounds closed, they will keep the Forest Service campgrounds closed as well.  And, Lassen County is telling non-residents to stay away for recreation purposes.  If you ain't from around these parts, stay out of Lassen County.

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is a very successful form of semi-life.  It's victims spread the infection very efficiently well before they show symptoms.  It is not too fatal, like Ebola, so it can persist in a population for a very long time without killing the too many carriers, and it is highly contagious through aerosolized particles and from contaminates surfaces.  We are going to see this virus, in one or another of its evolutionary iterations, around for a very long time.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
ron_whitt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 3:30pm
In Ont. our Prov. Parks are closed until June 1.  Haven't heard about the private campgrounds yet.  Assuming they are the same.  Have had 1 camping (5 nights) cancelled.  Hoping June 1  the PP open. 
Ron & Shirley
2020 Tacoma
2012 177 rpod
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 18>