This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime for Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Camping?
    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:48pm
I knew that theory was too simple๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Swampfox
JandMA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 9:19am
In N California National Forest campgrounds plan to open slowly through May-June, but as seniors we're not supposed to travel Angry But I reckon that RVing should be the safest way to go especially if you're self-contained...

John and Mary Ann
2015 R pod 171 Hood River
2019 Kia Sorento AWD v6
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 7:46am
Really wasn't trying to have a medical discussion here. Just wondered if the general consensus is that it was time to get back out there. It seems people have divided into 2 groups, those that want to stay sheltered for indefinite time and those that are hell bent on getting out in the world. 
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 8:23am
I am certainly a member of the "lets go" crowd...............Anxious to hit the road and enjoy this beautiful country!!
Swampfox
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 8:31am
I'm a member of the "Let's Go!" but with common sense precautions. It seems like camping is one of the best ways to maintain social distance while getting outside and into a healthy environment with sunshine and fresh air. We are self-contained, so not having restroom facilities available is not a problem.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 10:24am
Riot, I think it is safe to say that everyone is anxious to get out in their trailers and camp, regardless of whether we believe the epidemiologists and physicians, or some of those advocating that SARS-CoV-2 is just a bad cold.  Everyone, likely, has another disease right now, the common name of which is "cabin fever," for which camping can be an effective cure.  

In regard to a "medical discussion," one cannot make an informed decision about camping without discussing the medical science issues of SARS-CoV-2.  To do so without considering the science would would be dangerous, especially for many of the members of this board who are retired or close to retirement, thus in the most vulnerable age group.  Pandemics, though they may have socio/political elements, are diseases and Mother Nature* dictates the rules by which they spread or are contained.  Those who don't want to play by her rules risk paying a terrible personal price and risk infecting many innocent people. *[This is intended as a metaphor for the process of nature, not an expression of religious or mystical belief.]

This isn't an issue of machismo, in which the brave go out and the wimps stay home.  This is an issue of caring about one's community and the common good and not spreading a potentially fatal infection to our "neighbors."  It's a matter of following the Golden Rule.

Can we camp with our self contained trailers?  Probably so, but there are limits.  Not only do we have to think about our own exposures, we need to also think about those folks who work in the campgrounds and have to clean up after us.  If we truly camp in a fully self contained situation where we bring our own water, take our "drainings" and garbage home with us, as well as avoid interactions with other campers and camp ground staff without proper PPE, i.e. face masks, and physical distance, then probably we can camp with minimal risk to ourselves or others.  The reality of camping is such that people don't always clean up after themselves, thus putting the campground employees at unnecessary risk.

For myself, I will go camping when the consensus from qualified public health officials says the risk is acceptable.  They are the only ones who know what the heck they are talking about; the others just emit greenhouse gasses from their posteriors.  

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 12:02pm
+1 to lostagain. 

I would also add that dividing everyone into camps of either "staying sheltered for an indefinite period" or being "hell bent on getting out there" is not productive and just creates yet another point of contention. I don't want to be pigeon holed into either of those groups, IMHO both are silly positions to take. No one with any sense is going to stay locked in their house forever or charge straight into a Covid hotspot and take no precautions. What ever happened to obtaining the best information available and making the best possible decision for the whole community based on that information? 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 12:24pm
It irritates me greatly when I pull into a campground after a slob has left. I try to leave the site in as good, if not better, condition as I found it. That means putting trash in proper containers, using a dump site properly, etc. I agree that there are the inconsiderate ones out there who don't care about anyone but themselves. These are the ones with the loud generators, the blasting "music", and leaving their trash for others to pick up. I will have to add that the "experts" can often be mistaken.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 1:36pm
StephenH, I agree that any given "expert" can be mistaken, and often are.  Some even use their position as "experts" to advance their personal agendas, whatever they may be.  That's why looking for a "consensus" of experts, throwing out the two extremes and finding a sensible middle ground is probably a safer course.  

For we lay people, we are at risk for listening to what we want to hear vs. what we need to hear.  It is human nature to filter information from others to fit into one's own "world view."  We have to be equally critical of our own preferred points of view.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 3:48pm
Unfortunately it takes strict enforcement to get simple conformity. I don't know about your area, but I still see 25% of people not wearing a mask or gloves in the grocery store.  I would think that there should be no facilities. People are to irresponsible to do the right thing. So I guess that means only people with a bathroom (no porta potty IMO)  can enter the campgrounds. At least for the first few weeks. Then anytime you move offsite, a mask should be used.  I don't think that's asking much. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 18>