This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime for Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Camping?
    Posted: 03 May 2020 at 8:39am
Back on topic: Pinnacles NP CA campground is now open for reserved spots only, no walk-ins, no day use. And they seem to have opened only about 1/2 the campsites, so more dispersed. This seems like a responsible way to open up. We're off there next week in our Rpod and plan to stay self-contained. 
John and Mary Ann
2015 R pod 171 Hood River
2019 Kia Sorento AWD v6
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 9:33am
That sounds like a responsible way to gradually open campgrounds.  Each campground has its own challenges in regard to avoiding the spread of SARS-CoV-2, but with a little creativity, many can be gradually opened to the public.  

But, that being said, we need to pay special attention to not putting the park employees at risk, either through the failure to use masks and keep a safe distance during interactions, or in not cleaning up after ourselves.  Garbage, water and toilet facilities are likely the most difficult to protect from the spread of the virus and should be opened very cautiously.  This is gross, but remember, when you smell the stinky vault toilet, the reason for the odor is that aerosolized molecular bits of fecal matter are landing on your olfactory nerves.  The virus is even smaller and can be aerosolized far more easily.

We have reservations at the Merrill Campground north of Susanville, CA.  I am hopeful that Lassen County will withdraw its stay away request to the public and that the campground will be open on a limited basis for fully self contained RV's.  If it is and we can safely camp without being unreasonably endangered or endangering others, we will probably go.

For the time being, widely disbursed camping in fully self contained RV's seems to be a reasonable step in very cautious reopening.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by JandMA

Back on topic: Pinnacles NP CA campground is now open for reserved spots only, no walk-ins, no day use. And they seem to have opened only about 1/2 the campsites, so more dispersed. This seems like a responsible way to open up. We're off there next week in our Rpod and plan to stay self-contained. 

Yes. The campground is open. BUT, the facilities are closed, and the trails are closed. So if you're OK with sitting around at the campground, go for it.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
JandMA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 2:32pm
Just to clarify, according to the park website restrooms are open as is the trail from the campground. The road beyond the campground is closed to vehicles. Most of the other trails are open but obviously you have to get to them on foot or bicycle. 
John and Mary Ann
2015 R pod 171 Hood River
2019 Kia Sorento AWD v6
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:05pm
NH is opening back up as well. Right now it is resident or out of state 'seasonal' only. This starts as of Monday May 5th. 

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 4:12pm
I'm looking forward to NC opening up state parks, hopefully soon. If that happens, we will go, but we will do so responsibly.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by StephenH

I'm looking forward to NC opening up state parks, hopefully soon. If that happens, we will go, but we will do so responsibly.

Assuming you may be paying attention (I gave up)... Any word from Canada besides roadblocks/check points and folks being turned back? Province to Province is restricted at last I hear, never mind entering.. 

Figure your trip is gone for this year... I'm still hoping to salvage mine into New Brunswick, probably fall though... Still optimistic about late summer.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 5:06pm
Yes, our trip we had hoped to take to Alaska is postponed until next year (God willing). We still hope to get out to see our daughters and grandchildren. That won't require crossing international borders.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 7:25pm
For many of us on this board, one of the most frustrating things about the quarantines is that we are older than dirt and don't have a lot of time left to go out and play.  We look at the restrictions on camping and think that that time is lost and gone forever.  We will never recover it.  

My wife and I had many trips planned for this summer and fall, starting this month and many, if not most, will not come to fruition.  Since I hit the big 73 this September [yes birthday gifts in small unmarked bills would be most welcome], I'll be pushing 74 or 75 when camping and full unrestricted travel become a possibility again.  Who knows if I'll even be able to drive by then, much less alive.  It's bad enough buying stuff thinking that this may be the last widget I ever buy, but to lose time seeing the country is especially hard to accept.

But, as I have reminded my children many times over the years, life is not fair and you just have to deal with it.  We have to act responsibly not only for ourselves and our own health, but for the best interests of everyone.  The last thing any of us needs is to burden our families by getting sick out on the road and not be able to get home, need help from them, then give them the lasting gift of SARS-CoV-2 when they come to our rescue.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 8:21am
So didn't want this at all to turn into a political debate... and sorry that it did.... Just wondered were the thoughts on people getting back out and camping...I personally am responsible and will enjoy my life....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>