This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime for Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Camping?
    Posted: 04 May 2020 at 8:58am
Originally posted by JandMA

Just to clarify, according to the park website restrooms are open as is the trail from the campground. The road beyond the campground is closed to vehicles. Most of the other trails are open but obviously you have to get to them on foot or bicycle. 

Up until I don't know when, the restrooms were closed. It's not been until maybe the beginning of May when they opened the restrooms.

That said, the state is generally still in shelter-in-place until the end of May. So use public restrooms with extreme caution.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by riotkayak284

So didn't want this at all to turn into a political debate... and sorry that it did.... Just wondered were the thoughts on people getting back out and camping...I personally am responsible and will enjoy my life....

Maybe you don't realize it but you are inviting argument about how we should be responding to this epidemic by the way you are asking that question and stating your position.  Many of us think that for the good of the whole community during the pandemic it shouldn't be up to you. Its like if I said I'm personally responsible and am going to get back to enjoying my life poaching elephants. That's an exaggeration but I hope you get my point. It immediately turns into a political argument. 

My suggestion is that we drop it and keep this to just to specifics about what's up with various parks and campgrounds. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Woodmiester View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 8:23am
Yep, I am with you offgrid .  There is much of life to be enjoyed!  Just spending some quality "unbusy" time with my wife of 53 years is absolutely one of the greatest gifts this difficult time has given me.

Remember everyone, "Life is not so much about avoiding the storms, it is more about learning to drive in the rain"

Everyone have a great summer and fall and be careful out there!!!!!
Swampfox
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 8:36am
Massachusetts just announced they will begin to re-open May 18th. So as the first action of the re-open I received a notice that our camping reservations at the state parks are cancelled op to may 26th. Just in time to kill memorial day weekend.  Like May 26 is going to suddenly be virus free. 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
riotkayak284 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 8:40am
I felt like responding to this, but I decided not to. Anyway, Big South Fork is opening limited soon.... Hopefully more NP will as well.... We all need fresh air to live healthy lives.
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 8:53am
Well now I found out not only are they cancelling up to the 26th, but they aren't allowing any new reservations until further notice. I'm so freakin happy were finally open again, (sarcasim) It was a bummer not being open. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 9:23am
Well disbursed camping is probably one of the first things that can open since people generally do not congregate in large groups.  The problem is going to be with activities associated with camping such as visiting tourist destinations, eating in restaurants along the way to and from, etc.  Hiking, trail use, and fishing are not high risk activities, unless you get into trouble and need assistance.  

For myself, I would be fine with going to a sparsely used campground, going on quiet walks, maybe a short bike ride, and sitting around reading, none of which is a high exposure activity.  Using the public facilities, such as water spigots and the bathroom facilities, is another matter.  So are very crowded campgrounds since they inherently involve close proximity to others and shared facilities and, like the open beaches, people don't seem to be able to resist the party on behavior throwing caution to the wind. 

Between the two extremes of opening everything and pretending this invisible killer doesn't exist and closing down everything, there are reasonable compromises and actions that can be taken that make the risks acceptable, but each situation has to be evaluated given its particular circumstances.  What is reasonable should be guided by the advice of epidemiologists not by those with a political agenda.  

We are really like teenagers engaging in risky behavior thinking that bad s...t only happens to others.  Life doesn't work that way.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 10:04am
Many of the dispersed campsites in the Appalachian national forests are reported to be open. But the sense I get is that they are getting heavy use and some are pretty trashed up. Everyone is supposed to remove their own trash but sadly many do not and for their own safety the forest service employees are not cleaning up after the slobs as they usually would. I'd suggest calling the local FS office to see what's up in that specific area before heading out and finding that there are no sites available or a big mess awaiting. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 12:39pm
+1 to Fred's comments about reasonable compromises and actions.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by mjlrpod

Massachusetts just announced they will begin to re-open May 18th. So as the first action of the re-open I received a notice that our camping reservations at the state parks are cancelled op to may 26th. Just in time to kill memorial day weekend.  Like May 26 is going to suddenly be virus free. 

I just heard May 25th for State Parks in MA... Actually opening the parking lots and hopefully other services, like camping. I looking to get out and surf cast a bit, but the public lots are closed..

Please pass your source for the 18th so I can check this out! 

Just saw your second post... Matches up more like what I've heard.
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 18>