This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Camping Adventures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime for Camping?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for Camping?
    Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:29pm
Here's the Campendium blurb:  https://www.campendium.com/merrill-campground  ... and the Forest Service one:  https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lassen/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=11409&actid=31
It looks pretty nice and has various levels of hook up, though on this trip, we may hook up to only the electricity.  

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
tcj View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 9:04am
Originally posted by StephenH

Beautiful pictures! Thumbs Up We don't have anything like that around here in central NC. We have places that are quite beautiful in their own right in the mountains or along the coast. That is one of the reasons I like to travel with our RPod instead of flying over the terrain at such an altitude that it can't be seen or enjoyed.

I agree with you on the beauty of North Carolina Stephen.  In early May 2007 I was pulled out of retirement by the USFS to work with a Wildfire Incident Team on the Pinnacle Peak fire in the Linville Gorge on the Grandfather Ranger District, Pisgah National Forest.  A highlight was flying up the Linville Gorge in a Jet Ranger with the doors off.

We flew back home out of Asheville so drove the Blue Ridge Parkway back to there.  There was a day to kill before our flight so we were treated to a tour of the Cradle of Forestry in Asheville.  It is the first School of Forestry in the United States.  Established in 1898.  It was a highlight of my 45 year career as a Fire Fighter for the USFS and for that I am greatful.

2018 R-pod 180 Hood River Edition
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 5:05pm
Looks like another stop to put on the list. Thanks. Thumbs Up
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 5:40pm
+1.  Gonna hafta check out the "Cradle of Forestry" now. With no disrespect intended toward anyone's favorite camping area, I must say that I've found the Appalachians to have some of the best camping locations in the country. What I find I enjoy particularly is the opportunity to camp near bold streams and cascades throughout the seasons, in the West many places can tend to get pretty dry in late summer/fall. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 1:24pm
Well, my reservation for the Merrill Campground is going to be cancelled.  I had a very nice conversation with a Forest Service official who informed me that despite all their efforts, they can't get adequate PPE for the campground employees and are not able to open until the PPE arrives.

What I also found out, that is especially disturbing, is that there are a lot of very, very angry people out there.  The official said that they are not only getting calls from people unhappy with the fact that they cannot open until they have adequate PPE for the staff, but that there are people threatening to kill campground employees and volunteers if they aren't allowed to go camping.  I don't think the camp ground hosts, forest rangers, and maintenance staff signed up to get shot. 

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 1:44pm
Unfortunately, people who make these threats are another example of "shoot the messenger." While I am disappointed with the situation and really would like to go camping, especially dispersed, self-centered people like those who would threaten the staff are only going to cause things to open up even later. These are the same type of people who run their generators, play loud music, and get upset if somebody asks them to tone things down during quiet hours when they are having their party. Unfortunately, this is not a virus problem. It is a character problem with those who make these kind of threats.

I want camping to open up, but I want it open safely and am willing to wait until the staff has their PPE.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 3:00pm
+1. I got a similar sense from the FS employee I spoke with in the Monongahela NF a couple weeks ago, describing creeps who were trashing up the whole area and otherwise causing mischief. 

I was tempted to try for dispersed camping since some is open, but as those locations are not well patrolled, especially now, I am afraid of running into some of these jerks who think they are "entitled" to do whatever they want, or might even be "entitled" to my campsite because they just drove all the way up the mountain and they have been somehow much more unfairly put upon by Covid-19 than anyone else. 

Unfortunately I think this kind of character problem is a pandemic in itself now. I am reminded of the time my wife and I were run off a beach walkway on he OBX by a guy on a motorbike. When I pointed out the big sign saying no motorcycles he cursed me and said he grew up there his whole life and there were never any signs like that back then so he was damned if he was going to obey them now. As if it was his personal national seashore and not funded by every taxpayer in the country, and disregarding that there were a lot more folks using the beach now and the whole OBX is completely dependent economically on them enjoying their stay.

I'm getting more serious about just getting a cabin in the woods with a nice stream somewhere and selling the rPod. At least that way I'd have law enforcement to support me if someone decides they were somehow "entitled" to use my property to play loud music and trash up. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 4:06pm
You folks really decided to live/camp in such a area that you are describing the folks around you?

My apologies for going off topic of this thread, but really??

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 4:40pm
There are both entitled jerks and good citizens everywhere. I doubt that New Hampshire is any different, in fact unless things have changed since the 70's when I camped there while in college in Cambridge MA I know its not different, I encountered more than one jerk there back then. It just seems to be worse in general now due to increased population pressure on our open space and a more prevalent sense of entitlement.

Its not off topic I don't think. Let's face it, camping is a public activity and we rely on the existence and enforcement of rules to have a good experience.  With less monitoring activity and higher demand on the fewer open areas Covid is likely exacerbating the problems.  Just something to be aware of when considering dispersed camping during the pandemic. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 5:08pm
Why do we have such problems? It is because so many have forgotten that with liberty comes the responsibility to govern one's self. Otherwise, we have a bunch of libertines running around doing whatever they want to with no regard for anyone else.
StephenH

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>