R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedrpod 190 cover suggestions and new owner hints

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: rpod 190 cover suggestions and new owner hints
    Posted: 07 May 2020 at 8:17am
I just ordered my 2021 R-Pod 190 from the factory. Added in factory Solar and inverter.

I want to prepare for it arriving in late June/early July.

Any suggestions on the best cover I should purchase? I saw the 

Classic Accessories PermaPro Heavy Duty R-Pod Travel Trailer Cover, Model 4, Grey (Limited) with a limited lifetime warranty for sale on Amazon for about $232.

Also should I keep it on the entire time it is not in use to eliminate any water damage?

Also saw in this forum water leak issues caused from the spoiler where a member completely sealed the spoiler with what looked like clear plastic and Eternabond.  Looks like covering the entire spoiler and screws to prevent leaking. the spoiler with what looked like clear plastic and Eternabond.

Reading also to insure all seams and seals are completely gone over. So should I use Eternabond when my camper arrives over all the screw holes?

Also for protective measures should I wax the entire outside with a car wax like turtle or something else?

How about the frame. Should I undercoat it to prevent rust and is there anything to prevent mice / chipmunks from getting inside or making nests?

Also saw what looks like a common defect with the hanger for the black water tank pipe hanger. Should I just replace it or add another more durable one?

Anything else that comes to mind for an experienced tent camper getting into this new 190?

AC
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 8:40am
Hello Andy,

Covers may or may not be needed depending on your circumstances. Covers can help if you have to park under trees or if you live in a place with intense sunshine. Covers can cause problems if there is no ventilation such as mold growth on the sealant which I saw with mine. Whether you keep it on all the time or not depends on your circumstances. Is the top of the cover water resistant or water proof? That makes a difference. With the first, you still get moisture under the cover, so it might not totally eliminate the possibility of water damage.

As for the spoiler, you might check it out before taking the measures some have taken for older models. I think the spoiler has been modified so that the newer ones might not have the same problems. As for Eternabond over all screw holes, you would need to practically disassemble your RPod to get to all the screws. I don't think that is practical. For the most part, check to see that there are no visible problem areas. Deal with any you find but don't obsess about covering the 'Pod with Eternabond. That wouldn't look very good.

As for waxing, look for a product made for gel coat. Protect-All is one such product. Some of the ceramic sealants are supposed to be very good for this also. You can use a good quality wax, but some of the synthetics will last longer. Look to see if the product provides UV protection. That is important.

The frame should be okay. If you see any rust spots, treat them with a product such as Rustoleum Rust Reformer or equivalent and then top it with a good quality paint. My understanding is that some of these undercoating products can cause more problems than they fix. As for preventing chipmunks and/or mice from getting inside, you could screen any openings you see. I guess it depends on your environment. I haven't had any problems with mice and we have a lot of squirrels, but no chipmunks. There may be some repellent products you can use such as peppermint oil to discourage pests.

Check my mods for my experiences with black water tank pipe hangers. I have had two failures. There won't be a third! For this, it is best to be proactive. I don't know if the factory has changed the hanger design, but if it is still just the thin piece of metal held on with a bolt, then go ahead and add additional backup support or replace the hanger with something more sturdy. There have been several designs I have seen in various posts. The Advanced Search function can be helpful as you can expand the date range for searches instead of just getting ones six months old and newer.

Above all, enjoy your RP190. Have a lot of fun and make many great memories. You will likely find things with your 190 that don't quite suit you and you will likely want to make modifications to make it more suitable for you. I have made many to our RP179 which you can see in my mods. Also, remember that things can happen when you tow down the road as there is a whole lot of shaking going on. This is to be expected and happens with any brand at any price point.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 11:11am
I agree with StephenH on all of the above except protecting the frame. The frames on travel trailers are very poorly protected from corrosion, kind like cars and trucks used to be decades ago. This is especially true if the trailer will be exposed to salt corrosion. So, depending on where you live and how and when you use the trailer I'd recommend a lanolin based product like Fluid Film for the frame. The lanolin is a water displacement material which provides protection from salt buildup in all the nooks and crannies. It will not hold salt against the frame like some undercoating products do, and it is harmless to your clothes and the environment. It is water soluble so will need recoating at intervals. I used to use it when I lived at on the Outer Banks and it is also popular to use in winter snow country where salt is used on the roads a lot. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 11:40am
I can vouch for the effects of salt on the frame. After our one winter trip, I had to do a lot of work on the frame because of the road salt. I didn't know about Fluid Film at the time, and had forgotten that it was an option. I do not have experience with it.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 4:12pm
As to covering your pod, as Stephen says-it depends on your circumstances.
We live in North Carolina where we have a lot of oak trees which drop tanic acid filled leaves in the fall.  They will stain the roof and are very hard to clean. also, the spring is full of green pollen. so we cover our 179 from the end of September until the end of pollen season(usually early May).  If we want to use the pod, it is about 10 minutes worth of work to remove or replace the cover once you have done it a few times.  the first time can be confusing and problematic, but it gets easier. 
We have found the best way to cover it is to lay the cover upside down in front of the pod with the front of the cover at the tongue. we will be one on  each side with a long extendable pole with a brush type head. We slowly pull the cover up the front , across the antenna, fan shroud and AC unit carefully then slide it down the back end.
The Classic cover fits our 179 pod perfectly and has a zippered access for the door. Be careful at the edges of the keder rail if you have them(or any other sharp corners-rain gutters on the slide out). We use short pieces of foam pipe insulation or poll noodles for protection. Our cover is about 4 years old now and seems to be in pretty good shape for another couple of years.  I don't know about "lifetime", but still a worthwhile investment in my mind.  the ideal would be a garage, carport or some permanent structure, but that won't happen for us.
enjoy your new pod-you will learn a lot from this forum. Ask questions-we all learned
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
ReluctantTraveler View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 8:20pm
I have a 2019 R-Pod 190 10th Anniversary edition. I highly recommend the cover if parking under a tree, as some have mentioned. I would use it anyway regardless to protect the roof from the elements. I keep it on the RV all the time when I'm not using it, except a few days before and after a trip with it.

The "Classic Accessories" PolyPro 3 "OverDrive" is an excellent product. As Vann said, it fits the trailer like a glove, and won't blow off in high winds or move around much, minimizing tearing. He's right about using the cut "noodles" on the rain gutters and any other sharp corners. I put duct tape on the inside of every corner where it rubs, mostly at the bottom - all four corners. The zippered door makes it very easy to get in if you need to while covered. And it is vented. I've never seen moisture trapped under it. The top has reinforcement material (a heavier canvas-like material as opposed to the rest of the poly fabric) that repels tree sap and debris, and gives added strength and protection from sun as well. A very well designed product. And I always remove the TV antenni when I put it on or they will point out too much and become stressed under the weight. They easily unscrew.

I also fitted mine with some heavy-duty truck mud flaps by Zoro that I bought from Walmart online. They are 12" x 18" and I cut them to fit. Installed with stainless steel hardware at the back of the fenders. You'll want something there or all kinds of stuff from the road and mud when it rains will get slung all over the body behind the wheels.

Definitely get the screens that cover the furnace and water heater vents to keep critters out. They attach easily with springs and work well.

Make sure the dealer shows you where the water heater is located and how to bypass/un-bypass if winterized. I went on my first trip with a bypassed water heater and had no clue where it was. It's under the bed panel board (beneath the mattress), which is screwed in place. Not easy to get to. Once home, I did a mod with a separate piece of plywood that I divided into two for easy access to the water heater and pump - didn't want to cut my original board until I tried it out first.

Lastly, when you first run the heater, it may set off the propane/CO detector until all the chemicals and materials from the factory burn off. It's not a problem, just needs a while to run. Suggest doing this before you go on a trip and need the heat. I can share more if interested - don't want to go on too long. Have fun!

Dennis
2019 R-Pod 190
2011 Toyota 4Runner

Be kind to everyone today!

Dennis
Andyrpod190 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 3:09pm
Hi Dennis

So the cover is a generic cover not tailored to the RPOD 190?
AC
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 3:54pm
They have different types matched to different trailers. They fit well.  They also have different quality levels and the mid-range has a lifetime warranty. I love mine and keep it on my 172 whenever I'm not camping. If you hit it right you can get a good sale.
Julie
 Post Reply Post Reply