Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Miscellaneous / Off-topic
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Model
    Posted: 13 May 2020 at 7:04am
At $68B Buffett is number 5 on the billionaire hit parade. But Buffett is famously hands off direct management of Berkshire Hathaway investments, known as "delegator in chief" in the investment world. 

I think FR is now milking the rPod brand as much as possible for short term profit. What they are doing by making  rPods that are indistinguishable from other TT's will destroy any brand differentiation and result in the demise of the rPod brand. Next couple of years we'll probably see 40 ft 5th wheel "rPods" if they think they can sell those as step up rigs.  

As volatile as the RV market is that probably makes sense for FR, developing a brand to enhance its distinctiveness is not a mindset that most of the RV industry has, any more than quality is. Other than Airstream and a handful of other smaller companies no one attempts it. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:18am
I don't understand why people feel that if THEY disagree, it must be wrong. Can't people get what THEY like without being treated like lepers.  I personally don't want one of them, but, I don't think I should tell others they are somehow ruining the rpods. Restaurants sell chicken, steak, and eggplant parm. If you don't like the eggplant, you don't order it. But my meal isn't ruined because you did. We all have a dometic fridge, a suburban WH, and a faulty black tube hanger. We are all podders. Let's make sure we don't lose THAT. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:29am
Is there a floorplan or info available for those of us that are not on Facebook?? I would like to see this new model.
Thank you
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:29am
Who said folks can't get what they want or that the customers are ruining the rPod brand? I said that FR is making a conscious decision to market the brand in a particular way that makes sense to them in their market. They aren't Airstream, and most rPod buyers are not buying because of brand loyalty. Buy whatever you want, its fine with me. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:42am
Originally posted by offgrid

What they are doing by making  rPods that are indistinguishable from other TT's will destroy any brand differentiation and result in the demise of the rPod brand. Next couple of years we'll probably see 40 ft 5th wheel "rPods" if they think they can sell those as step up rigs.  

I may have misread it. I certainly don't feel that someone else's choice affects mine. I'm a relatively new comer to Rpods, I got my first in 2016. I love seeing all the various models available, and yet, I feel like I still know it. It's a pod!! 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:47am
Van and Laura, I just copied and pasted the link and got in.  A popup appears trying to get you to sell your soul and your fist born child to Mr. Zuckerberg, but I clicked the no thanks and went right to the post.

As for brand names, for many people brands are important and they develop a feeling of loyalty to them.  For others, like me, it's all a matter of the best quality, value, function, and durability for the money.  I don't care what the brand name is, though I do try to stay away from companies with a reputation for poor quality and service.  

When we decided to get a little bit bigger trailer, I didn't feel the bigger rPods had anything to differentiate them from other trailers.  What was important was finding a slightly bigger trailer with a full bath that I could navigate in the night, a walk around bed, a comfortable seating area, and a functional galley, all of which was in a relatively light weight package.  I also wanted to get away from the outboard wheels as they take up a lot more road space but really don't make much of an improvement in the interior space.  I also have to confess that I got spooked by so many rPodders having bent axle problems, so I got a trailer with an I-beam frame and a short distance between the frame and the wheels.  It turned out to be another FR product and was of "average and merchantable" quality, just like pretty much anything in the travel trailer market place.

For many, it isn't the name on the trailer but its features and function that are the deciding factors.  The r-Pod had a little nitch in the market and developed some brand loyalty, a little like the old VW beetle, but now that so many knockoffs are out there, the brand name alone will not sustain loyalty in the market.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 10:04am
Yes I think you are probably misunderstanding my post, it was never intended to be a hostile response to "big rPods", just an observation.

Your personal choices as a consumer don't have much if any impact on others', but a corporation's brand management decisions can have a huge impact. Look at low many once great vehicle brands have been destroyed by bad marketing decisions. Seen any new Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, Plymouths, Mercurys, or Saturns lately? 

I don't have a degree in marketing but I have run marketing departments in a couple of corporations and product management in others, and have taken grad level marketing courses. So I know something about brand strategy but would be happy to hear from others with more expertise than i have. 

Companies that place high importance on enhancing the long term value of their existing brand assets don't tend to stray too far from what made that brand successful in the first place. Obviously, with rPods that was a distinguishing compact size, appearance, and form factor. A 25 foot 2 axle rPod is quite different from that.  Doesn't make it bad, might be a great trailer for the value and price point. 

The point is that FR made a business decision which like all such decisions has its pros and cons. They gave up the original product positioning of the rPod in order to capture a larger market share of step up and mainstream midsize trailer buyers. Lots of good reasons for them to do that, but it will inevitably destroy the original small trailer rPod brand positioning. Probably, FR will eventually introduce a new small trailer brand. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 12:50pm
Gotta admire Warren Buffett, from a paperboy to number 5 on the billionaire list!  Not bad for a small town Omaha boy.  
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 1:30pm
+1. As a general rule I'm not a big fan of billionaires but Buffett is an exception to that rule. He's a frugal guy. Apparently he drives an older car and still lives in the relatively modest house in Omaha he bought for $31K in 1958.  Its still a pretty nice house, don't get me wrong. 

He's a co-founder of the giving pledge and has pledged to give away 99% of his wealth to philanthropy. That only leaves him a measly 700 mil. He and Berkshire Hathaway have had significantly fewer scandals surrounding them than most enterprises of that scale and longevity. So, overall as good a record as you could ever expect from a super rich guy. Wink

1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 6:16pm
Warren drives a 2014 Cadillac XTS.  His modest home has an assessed tax value of $1 million.  It's a very nice house but not a mansion like you'd think.  He apparently sold his California Mansion.

Pre-Covid it wouldn't be unusual to run into him at a local restaurant or a Dairy Queen.     
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>