R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Podmods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRepack or EZ Lube?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repack or EZ Lube?
    Posted: 13 May 2020 at 11:26am
I am debating whether I should repack the bearings on my trailer or just get a grease gun and fill with the EZ lube.  It has been a couple of years since I last re packed.  Probably driven 1500 miles in that time.
Yes, I know the manufacturer recommends disassembly and repack every year.  I think based on the amount of miles that I have driven that annual repack is over kill. What say ye?
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 11:38am
I vote Repack, if for no other reason than to inspect the brakes and be sure they’re set up right.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 11:55am
+1 to OG.  I also advocate, having learned the hard way, to carry at least one bearing and seal set with the bearing fully greased and ready to go incase you have a bearing failure on the road.  But watch out because Lippert warns that "non-certified" people who mess with your bearings "may void any and and all warranty claims."  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
podrunner View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 12:05pm
My trailer is 11 years old.  Not too concerned about warranty.  Thanks for the advice.
2010 R Pod 151
2017 4runner
2006 Honda Metropolitan
furpod View Drop Down
Moderator Group - pHp
Moderator Group - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 3:30pm
Personally.. I would just ez lube.. 1500 miles is not many, the brakes should be fine unless they are out of adjustment, and in fact if they got ate up in that short of time, you should have noticed them running hot. 
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by furpod

the brakes should be fine unless they are out of adjustment, and in fact if they got ate up in that short of time, you should have noticed them running hot. 

I think its more likely with electric trailer brakes that they aren't working properly and are not getting hot, or are working well on one side and not the other. Pulling the drums provides the opportunity to check that. If there is little or uneven brake shoe or drum wear, the magnet wear surfaces are scored, or the actuator arms, pivots, and springs are frozen or corroded then its time to look more closely and see what's up. The crappy insulation displacement connectors are one likely suspect, that would be a good time to change them out for butt connectors and self sealing heat shrink tubing. 

Personally, I don't bother taking the time to clean bearings, just wipe them with a clean rag, inspect, and press fresh grease through them till you see the new grease oozing out, put them back in the drum, install a new seal and done.  Doesn't take near as long or make as much mess that way. I don't really see what completely cleaning them does for you other than maybe leaving some solvent in the bearings. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by offgrid

The crappy insulation displacement connectors are one likely suspect, that would be a good time to change them out for butt connectors and self sealing heat shrink tubing.

Ours has crimped connectors all around underneath. Maybe the displacement connectors is an eastern thing?
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 8:07pm
My unfortunate experience with the crappy electrical connectors is that they made the connection and then left the wires and connectors hanging for any stray branch to grab and rip the wires apart.
It took a bit to figure out why my brakes were grabbing to one side only to find out that the wire got pulled out, and then sprung back to be "close" to the same location.
A wee bit frustrating to see how they just left it hanging there unprotected and unsecured.
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 6:28am
Originally posted by GlueGuy

Ours has crimped connectors all around underneath. Maybe the displacement connectors is an eastern thing?

Could be, or maybe FR at some point decided to switch to using real connectors? Embarrassed
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 8:42am
Originally posted by offgrid

Originally posted by GlueGuy

Could be, or maybe FR at some point decided to switch to using real connectors? Embarrassed

That's a possibility. Ours is a 2017 (late 2016 manufacture), so we have at least a year newer version.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>