R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed**HELP NEEDED ASAP**

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: **HELP NEEDED ASAP**
    Posted: 14 May 2020 at 9:24am
I am in the process of purchasing a 2015 RPod 178. When looking around the camper, I noticed a few things that concern me. Maybe they are nothing to worry about, but this is my very first camper so I want to make sure I know what I’m getting myself into. I noticed some spots on the ceiling. They look like very small notches all along a section of the ceiling. It almost looks as if one of the joists (I think that’s what those are called...haha!) was removed in that area, but it can’t be because those are evenly spaced throughout the camper and it wouldn’t make sense for one of those to have been there. The biggest thing I am concerned about, though, is a section of the ceiling at that same end of the trailer that is bulging. It almost looks as if there is a crease in the ceiling. (I am going to try to figure out how to post pictures of these areas I am referring to.) I have read a few people stating that they had exposed glue and/or staples on the ceiling after coming straight from the factory, so I am wondering if that is what the notches are from. The couple I am purchasing from swear that they have never had any leaks or other major concerns. (They are the second owners of the camper and have had it for about two years.) Any advice/help anyone can offer me would be GREATLY appreciated!
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:19am
THAT to me says, check the rear spoiler for leaks, If that is the rear of the camper 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Ab1988 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:24am
This may sound dumb, but is the spoiler located near the end of the camper where the spare tire is? This is at the end closest to the hitch.
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 10:35am
That's the front end of the 178.  The panels do not always sit perfectly and the notches are nail marks from assembly (the patching isnt always done very well.

I don't think it it anything to worry about but there are a few things to look for on the 178

1. check to see if there are any leaks (or water stains from earlier leaks) around the push-out
2. check to see if there are any leaks from the external storage doors
3. the spoiler is the black add on above the back window, these are notorious for warping in the heat and require significant sealant above them.  Get a ladder and check the sealant to make sure there are no open areas or cracks
4. check all caulking / sealant on the roof
5. make sure the drainage pipes are secure (along the "drivers side' of the trailer)- the brackets are not well designed

I've had a 178 for a few years now and absolutely love it.  There will always be craftsmanship issues, but you're going to get that in any trailer

Enjoy!
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
Ab1988 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 1:48pm
Ab1988 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 1:50pm
[/IMG]
Ab1988 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 3:09pm
Thank you so much!!!
Olddawgsrule View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 3:22pm
That looks like the panel has de-laminated. If it was caused from a leak, the lower would have issues as well. Looks like a factory oops to me, not enough glue.. If indeed that's the only spot/area you could remove the moldings, put the panel and glue it properly. 

If you like the trailer and the price is agreeable, I don't see this as stopping you. You will have items to deal with and this may be your first, if you so decide to fix.

Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 4:42pm
I wonder if a previous owner tried to staple up some curtains, or velcro, or maybe Christmas lights or something.....hard to tell...
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
EchoGale View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 5:01pm
I have those same little dents in my 2016 172. I assumed they were like tiny staples holding up the ceiling panel.I'd love to know if I'm wrong....
Julie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>