R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > Non-pod Discussion Forums > Mods, Maintenance, Tips and Tricks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNeed Advice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Advice
    Posted: 17 May 2020 at 9:51pm
Hello, new to the forum.

My wife and I are getting our first camper. Specifically we are looking at a 10th anniversary R Pod 189.

I see a lot of reviews on shoddy craftsmanship, etc. Should I be concerned with this, are the comments too knit picky, or is it just the vocal minority that I'm hearing?

Thanks in advance for the help!

PS - I hope I put this in the correct thread.
Tars Tarkas View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:13am
It's mostly a case of people with problems are the ones who speak up.  However, these things are not made by German craftsmen.  They are essentially put together by factory workers so it's good to look as carefully as you can at everything during you pre-purchase exam.  Afterwords, you have your warranty, and the fact that most issues, if there are any, are simple fixes, easier to fix yourself usually than taking the Pod in to the dealer.

TT
2010 176
FJ Cruiser
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 7:31am
We have had 2 Rpods-a 2011 173 that we used for 5 years and a 2015 179 that we currently have had for 3 years.  all of them have had minor issues that were easily repaired by me.  I don't think of the Rpod as inferior or bad craftsmanship, but more of production line quality control issues and pressures to produce quickly.
I have no problem referring Rpods as a quality trailer worthy of my investment. It's a great little trailer that we love and use. Get one and have fun!
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 7:39am
We had some issues that needed to be resolved by the dealer and one big issue caused by an accident that required a trip to the factory. Then we had a leak issue that the dealer resolved which involved the flange on the slide-out. There are a number of issues I have resolved by myself and a number of mods that addressed what I viewed as shortcomings that were not quality issues as such, but I wanted something better (see my mods for details). With the number of miles we have gone (30,000 +) with the RPod, we expect things to happen. We've been though a couple of axles. One was bent and one had a defective weld on the brake backing plate. The bent one I had to pay for but the warranty covered the second problem.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 7:46am
Personally I'd recommend getting a lightly used trailer a year or two old. If there were major manufacturing issues they would have gotten resolved along with a lot of nitpicks. Also, many folks buy these and one use them a few times before the find out they're too busy or camping is not for them. The early depreciation in the first year or two is pretty dramatic as well. Just my $0.02. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 8:24am
Some campers are 20 feet long with all the amenities and cost $12,000 dollars. Other 20 foot campers might not even have all amenities, and cost $25,000 or more. I am on my second R-pod, though I only kept my first pod just over 2 years due to going a little bigger. I've definitely had a few times I've thought " You seriously couldn't have spent another .50 cents and made that better?" The black tank hanger being a great example of that. But over all I am and have been happy with both units. You have to get used to R.V. thinking. Things will break, leak, need tightening, replacing, etc. Always look for it, before it looks for you, and take care of it right away. I think you will be happy with your pod. 
2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding
Woohoo22 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 9:11am
I appreciate the help!

In regards to buying used, I definitely tossed around the option. But with the current discounts on the new models they seem to be cheaper than the used.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 9:40am
When we replaced our Pod with the Sonoma, we considered both new and used trailers, but found that a one or two year old trailer really wasn't that much cheaper in the late fall/early winter when we were looking.  When you add the distances to go look at the used trailers and the potential for chasing wild geese, it isn't necessarily less costly to buy used.  Each individual situation is a little different and requires a tailored approach for the circumstances.  It really is a function of what the market is like in your area.  The main thing is to pick a trailer that will meet your desires and anticipated needs.  

If you are new to travel trailers, it wouldn't hurt to try to rent something similar to what you have in mind to buy.  It would give you a chance to see what it is like really using it.  Also, keep in mind that unlike automobiles, travel trailer dealers are not inclined to do warranty work on your new trailer unless you bought it from them.  If you get a trailer from a distant dealer, the warranty work can get complicated.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Woohoo22

I appreciate the help!

In regards to buying used, I definitely tossed around the option. But with the current discounts on the new models they seem to be cheaper than the used.

Beware of dealer fees, hidden charges, and high taxes. Private party sales won't have all that.  Also, you often get some nice upgrades with used ones that you will pay extra for in new ones. Like lostagain says, it depends on where you live too. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:55am
When you compare a smaller r-pod side by side with a Tab400...no comparison..but the Tab costs twice what the R-pod costs. For the $15,000 (or more) difference in price, I can fix a lot of stuff!
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>