R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed190 water heater outside on/off electric switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190 water heater outside on/off electric switch
    Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:11am
Help. The on/off electric switch on the water outside will not turn on. I tried pressing it down pretty hard with my thumb and it goes back to off. It will not switch to the on position. Appreciate any advice. Thanks
mwsjr
Kup-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 6:45am
The electric element may have been left on when the tank was emptied, in that case you will probably need to buy a new element (not a huge deal, and fairly easy to replace).  You may want to try and reset the electrical temperature override breaker (see figure 15 in the manual http://www.rpod-owners.com/uploads/3887/204670_SW4-6D6DEDMDEM_REV_E_03-17-2015.pdf)

Hope this helps!:-) 
2017 RP-178
2021 F150 5.0l
"Lead me on a level path"
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 7:42am
The switch is just a switch, not a breaker so the status of the heating element shouldn't effect it. Yours is not the first switch to fail. Watch this video on how to remove and test it. The switches are just a few bucks, and you could bypass it temporarily/permanently by using a wet location wire nut to connect the two wires together. That switch is in series with the circuit breaker in the panel so you still have that one to turn the element on and off. The propane heating system for the water heater runs on 12V and is totally independent of the 120Vac system so you still have that as well. 

1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 8:20am
Auman, check out the archives on that switch, but go to the advanced search to enlarge the time frame so you can look back a year or two.  There are many discussions about that switch, it's location, and the problems it has caused for many.  In our Pod we added an additional switch between the breaker and water heater to eliminate the risk of having it left on and to avoid using the breaker as a switch.  It was more accessible and easy to use.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 8:42am
A breaker makes a perfectly fine switch. I leave mine off unless the hot water heater is in use and the trailer plugged in to shore power. If you really feel the need to have 3 switches  all in series all doing the same job that's up to you.LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 9:08am
Breakers make lousy switches when you have to get down on your hands and knees to turn it off and on, when it's hard to see, and when it's easily confused by others not familiar with the system.  The switch on the HOT WATER HEATER is similarly awkward to use.  It's hidden back behind the gas works, is hard to see, and requires going outside to use.  

I put a third switch in a convenient location that was easy to reach, required no kneeling or counting breakers [the labels rarely line up], and did not require a trip out into darkness of night where hungry bears and wolverines are waiting.  

In fact, FR had the foresight to add the third switch in our Sonoma right where the light switch and tank panel is located.  You can easily see it, it has a red light that glows when it's turned on and the probability of burning up your HOT WATER HEATER heating element is reduced to nil.  But if you like to grovel around on the floor looking for the right breaker or going out in the rain to flip the HOT WATER HEATER switch and fight with getting that little spring thingy to lock the HOT WATER HEATER panel shut with cold wet fingers, I say go for it!  Tongue
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 9:42am
In the 179 the breaker panel is right inside the door so no bending down to turn the hot water heater breaker on and off. I put a little red dot on the hot water heater breaker so its obvious which one it is. And little red stick-on dots are pretty easy and cheap to install.Tongue   

I never fool with the outside switch on the hot water heater, just leave it on, so no wandering around at night with the bears. Besides, our Appalachian bears are not a lot bigger than big dogs and generally run away when they see people, unlike your aggressive bothersome Sierra bears. Star

But again, to each his own, I'm fine if someone wants to have 3 switches in series for their hot water heater element. Heck, why not 5 or 6 switches, you could have them all over the inside of the trailer so one was always within arms reach if you needed it? LOL
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
AUMAN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:37am
Thanks to all! My problem is that I cannot get the switch on the outside water heater to turn on at all.
Push as I may, it will not switch on for electric.
Works just fine on propane. If I can ever get it on I will leave it. Not knowledgable enough to add a breaker or such.
Thanks so much.
mwsjr
AUMAN View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:46am
Thanks offgrid. Very helpful video. Maybe I can try this and make it happen.
mwsjr
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:25pm
Sounds like you may need a replacement switch.  There is a hole along the toggle piece that allows a pin or cotter key to be inserted to stop the switch from moving.  Did you check to see whether there is nothing in the hole that would prevent the switch from moving?
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>