R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed182G New A/C Install

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: 182G New A/C Install
    Posted: 19 May 2020 at 4:56pm
I get what OG's sayin'.. I also don't wish to bugger too deep in somethin' new. 

If you like what you have as a base to work up from, then why not? What really is the limit? 
Byways no Highways
2017 Tacoma
Truck Camper Build
2004 F150 My Overlander
TimK182G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 4:25pm
If I do go the the roof mounted route I'm going with Coleman 9K BTU low profile.  Found the top and non ducted underpiece for under $700 total plus shipping. My R-pod is prewired up to the skylight with it's own dedicated 20 amp circuit, so connection should be simple.  Still debating as to trying a small portable and venting the drain pipe outside through the window above the kitchen sink.  Anybody trie this and have any suggestions for a portable?  Preferably something not to large, I think 5,000 BTUs would be more than enough, my rig is only about 85 sq feet from front to back.
2018 R-Pod 182G
2014 GMC Sierra 1500
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 4:39pm
With a portable you need to vent the hot air from the condenser out, not just the condensate water from the evaporator. That makes them inefficient because most of them have only one vent so have to bring in hot outside air to make up for that exhaust air. Plus it will always be getting in the way.  As to btu requirements, on a 90 to 95-ish degree high humidity day in NC I was getting about a 50% duty cycle on the 13.5K unit, so about 7K BTU/hr heat load. Its a small space but has a lot of poorly insulated wall, ceiling, and window surfaces. You need some additional capacity to pull down the temp in a reasonable amount of time when you get to camp so that's why I think that a 9K will be OK. But 5K  just wouldn't cut it even if all that 5K BTU/hr was going for cooling the interior and not wasted cooling down the exhaust make up air. I'd go with the roof mount.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
crw8sr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 5:31pm
Ours factory installed A/C is so noisy we rarely use it.  I'm always on the look out for something better.
Chuck & Lyn
Izzy, Morkie. RIP
Zoe Joy & Gracie, Yorkie
2018 R Pod 190   
2019 Traverse

In moments of adversity;when life's a total wreck, I think of those worse off than me and really feel like heck.
TimK182G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 9:19am
Think I’ll go with the roof mount. Thanks off grid for all of the input. One other question, is the low profile unit worth the additional cost?
2018 R-Pod 182G
2014 GMC Sierra 1500
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 10:15am
I don't know if it is or not. Its not really going to produce noticeably less air drag so if it has the same btu rating its going to be a matter of noise level and aesthetics. The standard 13.5K units are almost unbelievably noisy so it might be worth doing some checking on noise levels and basing your decision on that.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
TimK182G View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 12:52pm
Thanks again.  I think I am going with the regular profile unit.  I've read quite a few places that the compressor on the low profile tends to be louder.  Could be purely anecdotal but the costs are much less and as you said the drag of a regular profile vs. a low profile when on the move is negligible.
2018 R-Pod 182G
2014 GMC Sierra 1500
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 1:21pm
Cheaper always gets my vote too unless there is a compelling reason to spend more hard earned $$$.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 6:16pm
The compressor is not the loud part. What is loud is the air flow. The height of the unit won't affect that. There are a few things that can be done.
1. Close the big center vent. That is probably the biggest thing that will help with the sound level.
2. Remove the inside shroud. Use thin, closed-cell foam and glue it to the inside of the shroud, avoiding all sliding/moving parts. This helps too.
3. At night, run the AC with the fan set to Low instead of Auto. The constant fan sound is better for sleeping than the on/off cycling of the fan plus the pauses and shifts between high and low speeds.

The problem is not the unit. It is actually pretty quiet. Go outside and listen and I guarantee you that the Dometic Penguin II will be quieter than some of the units used on the big rigs. The problem on the inside is the limited space and no ducting. Ducting would go a long way to making it quiet, but there is likely no good way to run duct work. I don't know of any unit of equivalent size that would be any quieter. A 9,000 BTU unit likely would be quieter, but by how much I could not say.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 7:14pm
A 9000 btu minisplit is whisper quiet inside and out and has no ductwork. So it is very possible. The problem is that RV owners and manufacturers have not insisted on improvement from Dometic and the other roof a/c manufacturers.
1994 Chinook Concourse
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>