Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPotential R-Pod buyer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential R-Pod buyer
    Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:08pm
I am a possible future R Pod owner. A Las Vegas resident at least "officially." I first investigated travel trailers in the Fall of 2006 trying to decide if I should buy a house or a trailer for full time living. Decided on a house. In retrospect, not a good decision after the 2008 collapse and the crash of LV real estate. Once painfully extricated from the house I started travelling extensive in SE Asia. Cumulatively I have spent 9 months in the Philippines, 3 weeks in Cambodia, 3 months in Vietnam, and 12 months in Thailand. I am writing this introduction from Bangkok where I have been since March 4. This trip was supposed to last until June 25. Most of it in Vietnam from April 2 - June 25. The C Virus changed everything. All international borders and airports shut down in SE Asia to foreigners since mid March. My visa here technically good until July 31. But I may leave by late June depending on how Korean Airlines decides how or if they want to handle my return reservation which is out of Saigon. That is a problem since I cannot get to Vietnam. I will deal with it.
Back to my renewed interest in travel trailers and in particular the R Pod. When I eventually return to LV I will need to decide on where to live. And in what kind of dwelling. A travel trailer sounds like a viable option. Perhaps a good way to avoid contact with people during the crisis. Based on everything I read the USA is a giant C Virus petri dish.
Until about 10 days ago I had never heard of a R Pod. Forrest River, yes. Stumbled across a couple R Pod listings on Craigslist. Also many YouTube videos, and this forum. I have now read probably 50% of the posts on the forum. I have also contacted Forrest River for a list price and option pricing for the R 196 since I suspect that the 22' foot models would likely be my first choice.. They sent my info on to two dealers. One has yet to respond. The other replied today stating that they expected to receive several new 196 models by mid June. Actual pricing would be available then. But the dealer stated pricing would likely be in the low 20's. I suspect around $22k.
At this time given that I have already done a lot of research, I have few questions. Perhaps more questions later. I would like advice on possible options. From this forum I have read posts about upgrading the electrical system. Since I would be living in the unit a reliable electrical system is mandatory. Any other suggestions at this time are welcome.
Thanks, Michael

offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 7:24am
Welcome. Covid has had most camping locations, which are after all public facilities, closed up to now so a travel trailer isn't necessarily a great option during the pandemic. Maybe if you had your own isolated rural property to park it on but you`d still need to provide water. sewer, and, as you mention, electricity. Also consider the investment in a tow vehicle, which almost certainly will cost more than the trailer. 

We'd need a bit more information to be able to recommend electrical  system upgrades for you.

Are you planning to live in the unit in parks with electricity? If so then the system the rpod comes with is fine, just add one 12V battery for when you're on the move. If you are planning to mostly be in parks with electricity with a few occasional short boondock trips with no a/c or microwave use then folks typically add two 6V golf cart batteries, a portable solar module and controller, and maybe a small inverter. If you want to use the a/c and microwave boondocking then you'll need a generator. If you want to live off grid in it for long periods then that is a completely different thing, and can get expensive and elaborate quickly.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
vegasartist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 7:46am
Thanks for the reply.

Tow vehicle: I have a Dodge Durango 5.7 litre Hemi v8 with a class c towing package. Towing not an issue.

Living off the grid not likely. I would live in a park with electricity. If the stock electrical system is sufficient then no need for any upgrades.

Appreciate your advice.

Michael
mjlrpod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 7:59am
Hi Michael,  your travels sound interesting and I'm sure most of our rpod experiences would bore you. I have a 195 which is the same as the 196 except the 196 has a couch instead of a dinette. Although I have spent 9 - 10 days in a row in it without any problems, Full time could be interesting. I can say that for a week or two on the road, we have plenty of space, and storage, but full time you will need a lot more "stuff". I was thinking maybe the 192 could be a good option also.  With the murphy bed, you gain a little usable space during the day, and you don't have the bathroom taking the middle of the floorspace. With the rear bath, and murphy bed raised, you have a nice open center area to sit, eat, watch t.v. read etc.. As far as power goes, all depends on what you want to do. I would think that with a combination of solar, and a 2000 - 3000 ish watt generator, you could go off the grid and get by easily. I'm thinking about maybe doing that very thing in another 5 or 6 years, maybe in my 195, or in something similar. Good luck, and stay in touch 

2017.5 Rp-172
2020 R-pod 195
2015 Frontier sv 4.0L 6cyl
I'll be rpodding

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 8:25am
My travels are interesting but can also be boring at fimes. For about 6 weeks during this trip I spent 23 hours a days in a condo. Anything but exciting. Restrictions here have been significantly relaxed thus a bit less boring now.

I mentioned the 196 in my post. But I am considering the 195 and 192 models. I am also trying to get information on the 25' foot model that I read about.

As for full time living, I am very accustomed during my overseas trips which last 3-4 months to living out of a suitcase and in small spaces. Hotel rooms are quite confining. This trip and my trip last year I traded hotel rooms for small studio condos. More space and amenities but still quite small. The interior space of the condo I am currently in is probably not much smaller than the 196. I could easily live here full time.

I will stay in touch. Still too early to know what may happen.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.    Michael

lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 9:41am
Michael - Good luck with your return travel and your search for a suitable trailer.  Some suggestions:  

Don't fixate on any particular brand of travel trailer.  They are pretty fungible.  The quality difference of one brand over another is generally not that much, even as you go up the price ladder.  Forest River, the manufacturer of the r-Pod line, makes a broad range of relatively affordable travel trailers under various brand names many of which could meet your needs.

It sounds like you are already living an uncomplicated life with little burden of material possessions.  But, small camping trailers are not really designed for full time living.  They always look bigger in the pictures and floor plan drawings.  Look at them in person when you are trying to pick something to purchase so that you can get a real feel for what they are like.  Best if you can rent one for a week or so to see how it feels.  

Also, if you are going to use it in very warm environs, you will probably be warm enough in a travel trailer in winter months, but if you are going to live in a colder area, make sure you check out whether the trailer is well enough insulated and the slide out won't leak cold air into the trailer or you will be spending an awful lot of money on propane with frequent trips to fill the tanks.

Best wishes in your adventure.

Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 4:36pm
Thanks Fred.
I am not fixated on any brand. During my previous explorations into trailers I toured many trailers. Also Las Vegas has many trailer expos. Easy to check out a wide range of options.

I do live an uncomplicated life. No permanent residence other than a PO Box. I have lived the other kind of life with lots of possessions and houses. Now a large storage area holds my necessities when I go overseas. My most important possessions now are an Instant Pot, Air Fryer, and a large computer system I built for creating digital art that I license worldwide. I still have a couple of easels, brushes and leftover paint. But the art market I deal in is almost exclusively digital. Good for me. Less space requirements and far less mess.

Living in the cold no longer an option. Only warm weather. Cold for me is Las Vegas in December through February. Even that is too cold for me. Bangkok temperatures since my arrival have ranged from 92-100. Humidity high to oppressive. No problem.

In LV I see ads by trailer owners who offer to move their trailer to a park and rent by the month. A good option for me as an experiment.

Lots of possibilities. I can take my time. I appreciate the input from this forum.   Michael
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 5:19pm
Sounds like wintering in Baja might be in your future. Nice! Thumbs Up
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
podwerkz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:19pm
If they made a 3 or 4 season full-time capable r-pod with a solid floor, heated/enclosed holding tanks, proper axles, lots of inside and outside storage and a walk-on roof, that is the one I'd recommend for full time living...but then it would not really be an r-pod. It would cost more and be a lot heavier.

I'd look at Grand Design or Lance or Tab or Scamp or something with a bit more full-time intent. r-pods are fine for a week or a month but I would not want to wear one out full-timing in it. Yes, they will cost more.

Not a slam against r-pod....but you should choose the right rig for the use you have in mind. 
r・pod 171 gone but not forgotten!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:41pm
Lance already on my list. Will checkout Grand Design as well as others. Thanks.

Regarding Baja.....not likely to happen. I have traveled all over the world. Many countries. Mexico my least favorite. And I detest Mexican food. Chips and guacamole ok. Nothing else. A pass on Mexico. I know people who live there and like it. Drugs, cartels, kidnappings and murder and a corrupt government. Not a good combination.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>