Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPotential R-Pod buyer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Potential R-Pod buyer
    Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:18am
No problem. Most folks on this forum (I think) run a weight distribution hitch/anti sway combo. There are many choices and everyone has their favorite. The WDH uses spring bars to move some of the hitch load from the rear axle of the TV to the TV front axle and trailer axle. The problem is that without one the front of the TV rotates up when the hitch load is applied, causing load on the front axle to go down and load on the rear axle to increase even more than the load on the hitch. A WDH doesn't actually increase the hitch load capacity of the TV though (unless the TV mfr states that it does), nor should you think about antisway as a way to overcome problems with an improperly loaded trailer. Think of them as belt and suspenders, adding an extra margin of safety. You'll know if your trailer is loaded too far aft if you jog your wheel (carefully!) without sway control engaged and the trailer oscillates back and forth more than once before tracking the new line.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:52am
Probably the most reliable information for your trailer weight capacity is your window sticker since it is specific to the car and takes into account the actual weight of the vehicle and accessories.  All the charts use a generic car, but 8000 lbs. is plenty of capacity for the kind of trailers you are proposing.  

As for a WHD, I agree with OG.  We use a Fastway e-2 roundbar and it works very well adding stability and balance, even in awful conditions.  
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:41am
The 25 series Bigfoot trailers have a GTW of around 7500 lbs. They are heavy suckers. The curb weight of the Durango is around 5000. With a realistic amount for TV passengers and cargo the rig total will be up around 13000. The MCGVWR is 14000. Doable but not what I'd call plenty of safety margin there. If I was doing a lot of mountain travel I'd want something lighter to tow.  
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
GlueGuy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:49am
+1 to what lostagain said. The real indicator of what you will be able to tow is the yellow sticker on the inside of the driver-side door jamb. It should show the maximum load your tow vehicle can handle. That should take into account all the variables. You will have to subtract passenger and cargo from that number. The left over can be applied to hitch weight.

We also use a Fastway E2 round bar. It's a combo WDH and anti-sway system. Works very well on our F-150, and would probably be one of the choices for your Durango.
bp
2017 R-Pod 179 Hood River
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
vegasartist View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 5:01pm
Great information everyone. I knew when I found this forum that actual owner feedback would be the best way to get an accurate picture of the best options. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123