R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDometic fridge problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dometic fridge problem
    Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:29pm
Could use a bit of help.... I have a Dometic fridge RM 8501, in my RPOD 178 (2017). My fridge will only run in DC mode and will not switch to 110Vac or gas. I am more concerned about 110vac, then gas.

I have checked all my fuses, GFI (in unit and at fridge) and taken the cover off the back to look for any possible causes like loose wires and such on control module. Propane stove works 😁. I have tried multiple panel combinations to get to switch to shore power or gas but it will not. Panel is operating, as I can power fridge on / off, but it always goes to battery mode. When pod is connected to shore power, it takes DC from convertor board and I was able to camp this weekend. I just cant switch fridge to gas or 120vac... I am extremely frustrated to say the least.

StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:46pm
Have you checked the AC outlet behind the refrigerator to make sure it has AC power? If it doesn't, is the GFI outlet tripped? Is the breaker for the circuit tripped? Is the trailer plugged in?

Were you able to switch it before? Are you pressing the button once? twice? It may take two pushes of the button for it to switch. The fact that it does work at all is good. The default is to return to the last operating state when starting up. Beyond trying these things, you can look at this troubleshooting chart. It isn't specifically for the RM8501, but it does explain how the refrigerator works quite well.

StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
dwheeze View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:34pm
I have done all the items you have suggested.
dwheeze View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:34pm
Stephen all these items have been checked.
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 2:19pm
It probably wouldn't  be a problem with the 120Vac power as you can't get the control board to select propane operation either. If you've already tried a full reset by removing 12V power at the battery as well as shore power then its sounding like the control board to me. Those are crazy expensive if you can even get one unfortunately. 

If you do a google search for rm8501 manual one of the links is the manual in pdf format. There is a basic troubleshooting section but also the error codes, which might be helpful. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
StephenH View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 3:12pm
Unfortunately, as Offgrid states, it is more likely a control board. I had hoped it would be something simpler. Agreed that the boards are crazy expensive. The only thing more expensive is replacing the whole refrigerator.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
dwheeze View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 8:55am
I think it is the eyebrow board on the front of the fridge. problem is there are no parts available for this fridge as it is end of life.
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 9:00am
I replaced the refrigerator on our Pod.  The factory was very helpful in getting the replacement and the installation was easy.  Parts are so expensive for these refrigerators that it is often more sensible to just get a new one.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 3:22pm
We also had a similar issue with the eyebrow control board several years ago-we ended up replacing the entire unit.  It was about $200 more for the unit installed with a warranty than to buy an aftermarket eyebrow control board and installation. As I recall, the entire unit installed was about $1100 and the control board was about $850
We have had no further issues.
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 5:15am
+3 on replacing the whole fridge. Absorption fridges use ammonia as the refrigerant so they are continually corroding from the inside out. Life expectancy is about  10 years if you're lucky. Just part of the deal when owning an RV. Save any good control boards out of your old one, they might come in handy, or list them on the flea market, might help another owner out in the future. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>