R-pod Owners Forum Homepage

This site is free to use.
Donations benefit a non-profit Girls Softball organization

Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > I need HELP!!!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDometic fridge problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dometic fridge problem
    Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:17am
Hi-

I have the identical problem in my 2016 179 with the RM8501 Dometic fridge.  Tried everything.  

The fridge is cooling on battery, just as yours.   Just won't switch to AC or propane.

Did you ever resolve?

dwheeze View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:30am
I solved the problem!!! I sold the RPODTongue
JA-Pod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 3:53pm
Hi
I had just the opposite,  the RM8501 worked on AC but not on propane or battery,  mine is from a 2017 rpod.  I called Dometic and they wanted $427 for the control board!  so   I removed the board from the control panel,  disconnected the ribbon cable and other wire plug and removed the pressure sensitive touch panel,  reassembled it all and it now works ok for AC, Propane and Battery.  Hopefully it was a one off situation and reseating the board resolved.  We found this did not work after we returned from a trip and planned another adventure,  worked ok on the trip but went to prepare for another trip and found the problem.  go figure.  Hope this helps

john
John & Allison
R-Pod 179 (2017)
Nissan Frontier SL V6 4.0 (2019)
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:28pm
Touch panels are always failing. I've had 2 microwaves fail that way and an oven. The microwaves are a couple hundred bucks so not that terrible, but a $1200 oven and the touch panel is no longer manufactured? Grrrr.

Try removing the connector from the flat cable to the touch panel, cleaning the flat cable with rubbing alcohol and a little agressive rubbing with a q tip, then dry and reassemble. Seems to help for awhile most of the time. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
dlatzko View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:45pm
UPDATE- 

I, too, disconnected the cable from the touchpad and something happened as it now stuck on propane and won't switch to either battery or AC.  For right now, this is OK as I need it to work on propane for me.  But this is clearly a problem with the circuitry in the touchpad  switches, and not with the refrigerator actually working on any of these energy sources.  I'm afraid to disconnect the touchpad again because if I need it stick on anything, it is the propane.  Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  Still trying to figure out how to get a new board for less that the $300-400 everyone is quoting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12