Topic ClosedTowing 172 with a Toyota Sienna - Event Date: 25 May 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lostagain View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Towing 172 with a Toyota Sienna
    Posted: 25 May 2020 at 4:53pm
You will really enjoy the 172.  It's a nice balance of capacity and compactness.  If i wan't old and stiff, we wouldn't have sold ours.  According to Mr. Google, the Sienna has a towing capacity of 3,500, do you'd be very close to or over the limit, especially when you add passengers and your stuff.  You may also find that when climbing in the mountains, the Sienna will be pretty stressed.  If I were you, I'd check with an honest mechanic to see what you can add on to help, but keep in mind that for practical purposes, it will not increase the towing capacity, just keep you from destroying your engine and/or transmission.  You will also need to know the combined gross vehicle weight for the Sienna.  That's your real limit.  You may keep the trailer nice and light, but with passengers and such, you may find you're over that limit.  

Good luck in your search.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
PNWcamper81 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 4:18pm
Hi all!  I am new here, and I currently do not own an R-Pod, but I've come to like everything about them.  I have a question though.  My hope is for anyone who has done this to share their experience as I am trying to determine if this will be ok to do.  I'm seeing differing opinions on other forums, so real life experience here is appreciated.  We have a 2016 Toyota Sienna, and I am strongly leaning towards the 172 model as it is both light weight and can fit our family needs.  My Sienna was not purchased with the tow package, so I am already aware of the extras I'll need to do to it to get it tow ready.  Has anyone out there pulled with their minivan and how does it do on hilly/curvy roads?  I live in the PNW, we camp at the coast and mountains so there's no way to stay on a flat surface pulling the trailer.  I'd love to hear your experiences so I know whether this is at all possible. 

Note: I am already aware of the limited towing capability of a minivan.  If I could get a vehicle with a higher towing capacity, I would.  I would like to know if I can make it work with what I already have.  Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12