Forum Home Forum Home > R-pod Discussion Forums > Introduce Yourself
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTowing 172 with a Toyota Sienna - Event Date: 25 May 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Towing 172 with a Toyota Sienna
    Posted: 25 May 2020 at 4:18pm
Hi all!  I am new here, and I currently do not own an R-Pod, but I've come to like everything about them.  I have a question though.  My hope is for anyone who has done this to share their experience as I am trying to determine if this will be ok to do.  I'm seeing differing opinions on other forums, so real life experience here is appreciated.  We have a 2016 Toyota Sienna, and I am strongly leaning towards the 172 model as it is both light weight and can fit our family needs.  My Sienna was not purchased with the tow package, so I am already aware of the extras I'll need to do to it to get it tow ready.  Has anyone out there pulled with their minivan and how does it do on hilly/curvy roads?  I live in the PNW, we camp at the coast and mountains so there's no way to stay on a flat surface pulling the trailer.  I'd love to hear your experiences so I know whether this is at all possible. 

Note: I am already aware of the limited towing capability of a minivan.  If I could get a vehicle with a higher towing capacity, I would.  I would like to know if I can make it work with what I already have.  Thank you!
lostagain View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 4:53pm
You will really enjoy the 172.  It's a nice balance of capacity and compactness.  If i wan't old and stiff, we wouldn't have sold ours.  According to Mr. Google, the Sienna has a towing capacity of 3,500, do you'd be very close to or over the limit, especially when you add passengers and your stuff.  You may also find that when climbing in the mountains, the Sienna will be pretty stressed.  If I were you, I'd check with an honest mechanic to see what you can add on to help, but keep in mind that for practical purposes, it will not increase the towing capacity, just keep you from destroying your engine and/or transmission.  You will also need to know the combined gross vehicle weight for the Sienna.  That's your real limit.  You may keep the trailer nice and light, but with passengers and such, you may find you're over that limit.  

Good luck in your search.
Never leave footprints behind.
Fred & Maria Kearney
Sonoma 167RB
Our Pod 172
2019 Ford F-150 4x4 2.7 EcoBoost
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 9:19pm
What you have to remember is that towing load specs assume that there is no load at all besides a skinny driver in the tow vehicle. So while in theory you should be able to tow a 172 (which has a max gross weight less than 3500) with your Sienna in practice that is going to be really restricting your ability to put any people or gear in the Sienna. Not saying you can’t go it, but I agree with Lostagain that you will be pushing things. If you want to proceed I’d suggest you get actual weights fully loaded for the Sienna and for the trailer and tongue, and be sure those are all within specs.

Also, is your Sienna FWD or AWD? If FWD you will probably not be very happy towing on anything other than pavement , because load and traction on the front axle is reduced when towing.
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
Pod People View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 9:29pm
We originally owned a r 173 which is similar in size/weight to the 172. We started towing it with a Chevy Astro van-not sure how that compares to your Sienna. the Astro supposedly had a tow package from the manufacturer but  we added a transmission cooler. We traveled mostly on the east coast ,but quickly found out that the mountains provided too much challenge for both the brakes, engine and transmission. We ultimately sold the Astro and got a more suitable tow vehicle.
Your experiences may vary, but a capable tow vehicle will give you adequate towing features as well as safety and a larger weight capacity.  You, your passengers and all of your "stuff" will weigh a lot more than you think.
good luck-get a pod and enjoy
Vann

Vann & Laura 2015 RPod 179
PNWcamper81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 10:31pm
Very helpful information, thank you all for your feedback. It’s certainly along the lines of what I was thinking. From what I’ve read, those who’ve had success towing with a sienna or other comparable vehicles were in areas outside of my region where, I suppose, the terrain is mostly flat. I’ve also read of individuals who struggled when taking on hills in their sienna. That’s unavoidable where I live for sure.

Offgrid, to answer your question, it is a FWD.
StephenH View Drop Down
podders Helping podders - pHp
podders Helping podders - pHp

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 8:04am
I originally towed with a Ford Escape with FWD. Even with a weight distribution hitch (Equal-i-zer), traction was a little iffy. It was easy to spin the tires on take-off. I made it a point to not go off-road with it. We now tow with a Nissan Frontier with 4WD. Mostly, it stays in 2WD, but there have been a couple of times I have switched it to 4WD, that being on dirt on a hill and when we had to get into our driveway and it had snowed just before we got home. Both times would have been much more difficult if I were trying with only FWD.

You can tow with FWD as long as you know the limitations and are prepared to live with them. However, if you can trade for something more capable, it would be prudent to do so.
StephenH
Happy is the man that findeth wisdom,...

ouR escaPOD mods
Former RPod 179
Current Cherokee Grey Wolf 24 JS
offgrid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 9:12am
2WD towing is fine for most folks if the drive wheels are the rears, but FWD not so much. The hitch weight of the trailer pivots the front wheels up and reduces the load on them. Traction is proportional to load. So its self-defeating. If you do want to try it, check to see if Toyota approves use of a weight distribution hitch on the Sienna. If it does then by all means get one, that will move load back to the front wheels. 
1994 Chinook Concourse
1995 RV6A Experimental Aircraft
2015 Rpod 179 - sold
dnmeade2@yahoo.com View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 10:45am
hi I tow my 178 with a 2007 sienna with 100k with no complains.   take out of over drive in hilly areas because it keeps shifting    Dave
PNWcamper81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 11:35am
Thanks Dave! Can I ask how often you tow through mountain ranges? Like I stated above, in the NW they are pretty much unavoidable if going to the coast or to lakes. I’m concerned about how taxing it would be on the vehicle pulling a trailer and gear over and over on hills curvy roads.
Tmitch4 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 4:17pm
Hi All- I’m wondering if anyone can provide insight on why AWD siennas are listed as not capable for towing? I have a 2017 AWD Sienna that I would love to use for towing an r-pod. The 2017 brochure says that it is not set up for towing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>